Community "pick of the month"

Started by , Fri 13/09/2013 10:59:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Danvzare

Quote from: cat on Sat 05/05/2018 20:10:53
It's already May and we need a new pick!
Bog's Adventures in the Underworld?
I remember it was one of the first AGS games I ever played. I got stuck though and never completed it.

cat

So, you are suggesting a game you never completed without providing a blurb for pick of the month?

Danvzare

Quote from: cat on Tue 08/05/2018 14:19:05
So, you are suggesting a game you never completed without providing a blurb for pick of the month?
Yep pretty much. :-D

I've never suggested a game for a pick of the month before, so I have no idea how the process goes. I just saw that no one was suggesting anything, and wanted to help.
Feel free to ignore it, but how's this for a blurb:
"Bog's Adventures in the Underworld can be summarised in three words, funny but difficult. A charming game that was made twelve years ago, and has managed to keep its charm despite its age."

KyriakosCH

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 09/05/2018 12:05:21
Quote from: cat on Tue 08/05/2018 14:19:05
Yep pretty much. :-D

I've never suggested a game for a pick of the month before, so I have no idea how the process goes. I just saw that no one was suggesting anything, and wanted to help.
Feel free to ignore it, but how's this for a blurb:
"Bog's Adventures in the Underworld can be summarised in three words, funny but difficult. A charming game that was made twelve years ago, and has managed to keep its charm despite its age."

Hey, why not a game you have played fully, eg (purely random proposal) The Chrysalis? :D (laugh)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Babar

Being reminded of it again with Hobbes' return, I'd like to suggest Buccaneer

A fun piratey adventure game that's NOT a rip-off of Monkey Island, but still shows love for the genre and theme, built on rogueish music, pretty pixel art and an interesting story that hints at more. While it is a bit short, you're unlikely to leave it disappointed!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

ManicMatt

Although, Babar, like my Limbo adventure game, its download is from ags archives which are set to be taken down this year?

cat

Thanks Babar!
@Danvzare Having played the game should be a prerequisite to suggesting it.
@KyriakosCH The continuing proposal of your own game (see rules in first post) now got you a permanent ban for it being chosen as PotM.

For now the download link works. When AGS Archive is turned off, a whole lot of games in the database need to be updated.

Danvzare

Quote from: cat on Thu 10/05/2018 09:50:48
That sounds fair. Although I did get a pretty decent distance in the game.

The only other game that comes to mind for PotM is "Maniac Mansion Mania - Episode 53 - The Klaus strikes back"
My blurb for that would be "Don't let the two cups fool you, this is an underrated classic. A hilarious game where you must get revenge, but karma keeps getting in your way."
I have completed that game... twice in fact. :-D

I guess I should finally get around to completing Bog's game now. (laugh)

KyriakosCH

Quote from: cat on Thu 10/05/2018 09:50:48
Thanks Babar!
@KyriakosCH The continuing proposal of your own game (see rules in first post) now got you a permanent ban for it being chosen as PotM.

For now the download link works. When AGS Archive is turned off, a whole lot of games in the database need to be updated.

Well, this friendly attitude will help keep people using AGS for sure 8-)

LimpingFish

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 11/05/2018 01:47:45
Well, this friendly attitude will help keep people using AGS for sure 8-)

"Envy can ruin a man." :X

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

eri0o

Just curious, what is AGS Archives? And why is it going offline?

morganw

If the chance is there, I'd like to suggest Perils of Poom.
QuoteCreating a humorous adventure of a quality normally reserved for commercial titles, Perils of Poom created something truly special. A great example of full and funny storytelling; this game manages to build a fantastic experience in a tangible universe, where nobody can spell the word "stereo". Highly recommended.

Phemar

Quote from: morganw on Mon 02/07/2018 21:44:02
Perils of Poom.

I don't know why, but I read this as "Penis of Poon".

...I need to get out more.

KyriakosCH

Not sure if I can suggest this (given it is not free, and from 2016; and another poster already suggested a game, from 2004- not sure if it was accepted or not?), but since no one else is posting anything, and given I recently rewatched the playthrough, here goes:

Kathy Rain

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53514.0

My review:
"Kathy Rain can be regarded as a modern version of the first Gabriel Knight; in style the gfx and feel is similar, while the actual plot includes some more ambiguous elements. The protagonist, Kathy, is to a degree dependent on her friend, much like Gabriel was to his female employee and romantic interest, and both of those secondary characters find themselves in danger along with the leads.
The progression of the story comes at a natural pace, and there are a couple of intricate puzzles. There is both humour and some sense of dread; although probably the overall mood is less sinister than in GB or similar horror.
A very stylish and professional-looking game."

cat

The date is not an issue, but games for Potm have to be free.

cat

It's almost August and we need a new pick. Has anyone played any recent game and can recommend it? Remember, the game should be free and preferably not a demo.

KyriakosCH

Quote from: cat on Sat 28/07/2018 09:29:03
It's almost August and we need a new pick. Has anyone played any recent game and can recommend it? Remember, the game should be free and preferably not a demo.

Maybe use the text for a possible demo of Kathy Rain? := := :=

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk