Gabriel Knight Remake

Started by Stupot, Tue 08/10/2013 17:30:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Igor Hardy

That grass texture looks as flat as in GK3, that's true.

Also, I don't remember Gabe having 6 clones of himself in that scene.

LimpingFish

Surely the image Grundislav posted is just some tossed together placeholder thing? Right?

Right?!

But, coming from someone responsible for some fairly lousy CG of his own (and therefore not really comfortable critiquing anyone else), that image and character model is...not very good.

On the other hand, the image that Ali has highlighted is decent enough. Looks a little off-the-shelf "Daz3D", though, which is what I used to make these old, thematically similar, images.

But it's early days, and maybe these images are just to give us a taste of the intended style.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

kaput

GK is Jensen's pride and joy. I really wouldn't worry about it, she won't risk ruining its legacy. I would be worried if it were someone else, like some crappy Hollywood remake, but it's not.

Besides, apart from a few obviously unfinished screens and placeholders there, it doesn't look bad at all. Infact, it looks pretty damn promising. And anyway, like Gribbler and LF say it's still early days.

E: ...But that is just my opinion. Thought I should add this so as not to get flamed! (laugh)

Igor Hardy

Or perhaps we're spoiled  by 3D graphics in AAA games which are not feasible for a game of this budget and a small indie studio. The people behind The Book of Unwritten Tales and The Raven seem to be the only adventure devs around that can do 3D third person point & clickers good looking enough to put against games of other genres. Well, Telltale Games too, but it took them many, many games to reach that point and their games still come off as cheapish looking sometimes.

Unrelated, but I wish they kept Gabe's coat, hair and overall Mickey Rourke look from GK1.

Technocrat

I'm not so fussed about the backgrounds, but Mr Knight looks like something out of Poser...

Which reminds me, better add the original ones of this series to my "get around to playing" list...

kaput

QuoteThe people behind The Book of Unwritten Tales and The Raven seem to be the only adventure devs around that can do 3D third person point & clickers good looking enough to put against games of other genres. Well, Telltale Games too...

Am I the only person who thinks Telltale done a shit job at 'reviving' Monkey Island? Wow, those were shiiiit.

Armageddon

Yeah they were awful. But I love the Sam and Max games. :P And hate The Walking Dead games. Now i think they're just going to keep recreating Walking Dead because that's what sold well for them.

Knox

The first image didn't look that bad to me, but seeing that 3d version of Gabriel is quite a bummer...Love GK so i hope those models are really place holders or something.
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

kaput

Quote from: Armageddon on Thu 10/10/2013 05:08:18
Yeah they were awful. But I love the Sam and Max games.

Yeah, they're pretty good. Credit given where it's due :P. Sam and Max just work so well in 3D for some reason as well.

David Ostman

PC Gamer has a recent interview with Jensen, Gabriel Knight interview: Jane Jensen on the revival of her classic adventure game, if this is still on anyone's radar :)

AnasAbdin

I think this will ruin the classic version if the graphics shown are final. The art presented in the original version was/is phenomenal back in its era and until now. Either use the top graphics of the present day or not. What I see now is tasteless. I've seen independent AGSers here doing better 3D than this (not saying that AGSers are less important, just trying to say that when a team tries to renew a classic commercial game they should at least be top of their fields of work).
Not sure about copying the same puzzles, I don't recall an outdoors view of the police station as well.

Cassiebsg

Personally, I'll stick to the original... GK is one, if not the, of my favorites. I hated what they did to "him" with GK2 and 3... if they really want to redo something, then they should redo 2 and 3! :p
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk