Bloodnet - Spiritual Successor

Started by BornOfBlackEarth, Thu 10/10/2013 01:25:53

Previous topic - Next topic

BornOfBlackEarth

Hello AGSers!
I wanted to test the waters a bit on this one to see if it's worth doing...

I want to put together a spiritual successor to the 1992 Microprose title Bloodnet: A Cyberpunk Gothic.  I say "spiritual successor", because it will be such a massive overhaul of the game that it won't even be recognizable as a remake.  Some areas I plan to improve:

1. The interface!  This is the aspect of the game that has sabotaged it the most.  A simpler, more intuitive interface is a must.  I can't even scratch the surface as to how clumsy and ham-handed the interface is; you just have to experience it for yourself.
2. Shorter, less clumsy dialogue.
3. A deeper exploration element.  This includes actually searching for items onscreen rather than simply rolling the dice on one of the characters finding it.  There also needs to be a greater variety of locations to explore.
4. Item distribution between characters needs to be much, much more efficient and self-explanatory.  The developers thought that having it so that you drag all items to one character would simplify it, but it comes off as a real pain.
5. The character portraits will actually look like their on-screen personas!  In the original game, this is not the case.  Many attribute it to the fact that the artists were outsourced and did not coordinate with one another.
6. A greater amount of each item.  I have to admit that the variety of items in the game is impressive, the number of depleting items is quite scarce.
7. Clearer objectives and hints to progress the story.  The game is especially cryptic in this area.
8. Improved graphics.  This is a must with any title that, while innovative in its methods of graphic production at the time, has become vastly outdated.  This is definitely the case.
9. Remove the possibility of breaking the game and halting progress by biting and killing key characters.

There is quite a bit more to cover, however, I am certain that you didn't come here to read a novel.  I chose this one because, while it is immensely flawed and broken in numerous ways, it also has a unique atmosphere and great combination of elements.  Just because the cake tasted bad, it doesn't mean that the ingredients are of poor quality; sometimes it means that a more considerate baker is required.

Feedback welcome!

qptain Nemo

Holy shit, yes! This game has been sitting on my backlog since forever, and I always felt the concept of mixing cyberpunk & goth stuff is incredibly fun and inspiring. I'd definitely love to see this made for so many reasons. For one, there's a definite shortage of more original, weirder dark sci-fi games right now.

Your mention of shorter dialogue makes me wary as someone who loves properly wordy narrative. I know that often less is indeed more, but shortening dialogue isn't an automagic inherent improvement either. So I hope you'll exercise wisdom, taste, care and restraint.

If I wasn't already overloaded with my own stuff, I'd immediately offer my help, but for now, let me just say I'll follow this one closely for the time being.

ThreeOhFour

Please, please do this. I am also very much interested in seeing it done.

Anian

I just watched some gameplay of this. I hope by "shorter" dialog, you mean either more inteligent or properly hammy, not this clunky middle thing that's just bad. Oh, and the camera angles, difference between character and background art...awful.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Stupot

I downloaded it and gave it a go.
You're right about the interface.  It's horrible.
I don't really like the cyberspace element either (let alone how long it took me to work out how to exit it).
I can't see myself getting into the game, but the story is fine, so if your remake solves the problems I'd certainly give it a crack.

BornOfBlackEarth

Quote from: qptain Nemo on Thu 10/10/2013 01:49:28
Holy shit, yes! This game has been sitting on my backlog since forever, and I always felt the concept of mixing cyberpunk & goth stuff is incredibly fun and inspiring. I'd definitely love to see this made for so many reasons. For one, there's a definite shortage of more original, weirder dark sci-fi games right now.

Your mention of shorter dialogue makes me wary as someone who loves properly wordy narrative. I know that often less is indeed more, but shortening dialogue isn't an automagic inherent improvement either. So I hope you'll exercise wisdom, taste, care and restraint.

If I wasn't already overloaded with my own stuff, I'd immediately offer my help, but for now, let me just say I'll follow this one closely for the time being.

BornOfBlackEarth

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Thu 10/10/2013 03:16:01
Please, please do this. I am also very much interested in seeing it done.

Oh, I am doing this... even if I have to swear off food and women until it's done, hahaha!  However, I want to get my current project up to a solid alpha build (not beta build, to correct myself from the earlier post) before beginning.

BornOfBlackEarth

Quote from: Anian on Thu 10/10/2013 16:47:49
I just watched some gameplay of this. I hope by "shorter" dialog, you mean either more inteligent or properly hammy, not this clunky middle thing that's just bad. Oh, and the camera angles, difference between character and background art...awful.

Oh GOD... painful, right?  The fact that this title had such massive potential only adds to the aggravation as well.  It deserves justice!!!

BornOfBlackEarth

Quote from: Stupot+ on Thu 10/10/2013 20:47:31
I downloaded it and gave it a go.
You're right about the interface.  It's horrible.
I don't really like the cyberspace element either (let alone how long it took me to work out how to exit it).
I can't see myself getting into the game, but the story is fine, so if your remake solves the problems I'd certainly give it a crack.

Oh no!  I was hoping not to drag anyone else to that gameplay hell with me, hahaha... so you must have had that horrid, nagging feeling that this title could be soooooooooooooo much more than the finished result.

However, if you can find it in your very soul to forgive the flaws that plague Bloodnet, it is actually quite a unique, enjoyable experience.

Human Strain Group

Yes, I know this is a bit of necroposting.
But I recently find this thread, don't know how the topic starter are doing now, but we are working on the similar project.
Feel free to check it out https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/blood-circuit/x/8113272#home
Oh and if you feel like I should start another thread - tell me.

BornOfBlackEarth

Quote from: Human Strain Group on Thu 07/08/2014 13:43:25
Yes, I know this is a bit of necroposting.
But I recently find this thread, don't know how the topic starter are doing now, but we are working on the similar project.
Feel free to check it out https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/blood-circuit/x/8113272#home
Oh and if you feel like I should start another thread - tell me.

That's awesome!  At the moment, my current project occupies all of my time as far as AGS dev goes, so getting this project going is out of the question right now.  You will not have to worry about any conflict from me, HSG, so go for it!  I hope it turns out very well for you.

Feel free to use this thread if you wish.  I look forward to seeing what you come up with, good sir!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk