Secluded - WIP - Approx 25% Done

Started by EliasFrost, Sat 26/10/2013 18:18:16

Previous topic - Next topic

EliasFrost

Secluded (working title) Approx 25% Done
Indie Thriller/Light Horror

Premise:
Codename: 'Secluded' is a indie thriller/light horror game developed by Elias Frost. The game is about Vanessa Cardoso, an old friend to Zac White: a psychologically crippled murderer recently released after a long time in prison with psychological rehabilitation. One unfortunate evening Zac is kidnapped by Samuel and Kevin, a closely tied together duo with a dark secret. It is up to you (Vanessa) to uncover that secret and save your old friend. The game focuses heavily on blending puzzle and narration. As well as a bit of exploration.

Vision:
The game is viewed from an isometric perspective and the graphical style is pixelated with dark and washed out colors to provide the atmosphere envisioned by me. I have put a lot of my work to really squeeze my all into this project, especially the sound design and graphics, my vision is to create a relatively top-notch game both gameplay wise and presentation, to the best of my abilties of course, I am a one-man band after all. If something feels wrong, then it is wrong and I'm not afraid to revisit parts of my game to tweak it to keep the quality consistent throughout the game. This is in fact my very first 'real' game dev project and it is a great undertaking but I hope some encouragement and dedication will help me through this. :)

Screenshots:

Videos:
Since the game is in development, parts of the areas shown in the video is subject to change. That said, please enjoy!
[embed=640,390]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4spYVI88JIA[/embed]

Development Progress:
Overall:
    Prologue: 100%
    Chapter 1: 10%
    Chapter 2: 10%
    Chapter 3: 5%
    Epilogue: 5%
Story:
    Plot: 90%
    Narrative(actually completed): ~20%
Scripting:
    UI: 100%
    System: 60% (saving and additional options left)
    Gameplay: 100%
    Levels/Content: ~20%
Graphics:
    GUI: 90%
    Content: ~20%
Sounds:
    GUI: 100%
    Content: 20%

Expected release:
Since I'm working alone on this, I make all the graphics, writing, sounds and scripting. I honestly can't say. If I keep it up as much as I expect, perhaps late 2014/early-mid 2015.

Development Diary/Notes:

Early 2013: Brainstorming, writing ideas, tweaking story and general pre-dev stuff.

July 2013: Project started, decided to use AGS due to prior experience with the engine (It's top notch btw Chris, Thanks for providing such a great framework!)

Oktober 2013: Almost finished with the GUI, UI scripting, Systems (saving is not yet implemented), can at last put additional focus into content creation.

November 2013:
    - Updating graphics and controls for the keypad (no longer keyboard input, graphical keypad added)
    - Added additional animation to certain events and added frames where lacking
    - New Area added
    - Script (as in "movie-script") for prologue completely finished with dialogue and events
    - I'm working on the graphics for a new character

December 2013: I finished the prologue in early December and spent most of the month inviting testers, reviewing feedback and fixed bugs and improved the first part of the game based on the reports I've received. A big thanks to everyone who tested the game out and make Secluded a better game.

January 2014: Worked on Dialogue and improved the UI with new categories for notes: Notes, Diaries, Misc and Memos.

February - April 2014: Added areas and content to the game.

Thanks for checking my game out and if you like it, or if something concerns you, please feel free to comment! For additional information, some philosophical game design rants and general stuff, please check out my Tumblr page if it interests you: http://eliasfrost.tumblr.com/

// Elias Frost

FlyingMandarine

Great atmosphere you've got there! I hope you really do polish that game and make good use of ambient sounds, because I'd love to be deeply immersed in that game. The visual style is pretty good too.

I know there's still a long way to go, but I hope you manage to finish this one. Good luck!

CaptainD

Looks interesting!  Hope development goes well.

Stupot

Looks great.  Lots of nice little touches. Keep it up :-)

EliasFrost

Thanks for the comments guys. :)

I'm hoping to be able to upload a new screenshot in the next weeks when I'm done with the finishing touches for the prologue, as the area in the first screenshot is no longer in the game in it's current form (though it was representative of the overall atmosphere of the game).

Lasca

Looks really nice! Good luck and keep on keeping on!

kaput

Really liking the vibe going on here. The feel of the artwork puts me in mind of a sinister, Project Zomboid-esque world. But without the zombies, obviously. Interesting indeed. Keep truckin'. 

EliasFrost

Just to let people know, when I'm done with the prologue I will create a facebook page, a twitter account and perhaps a dev blog. I will also open up for playtesters (though I can't pay anyone) later this year or early 2014. Right now, my close friends and family do that for me, but when I have significant content that I need bigger number of testers to get covered, I will need volunteers to help me out. I will announce those things as they are finished, I want to focus most of my time on the game though but I just wanted to let you know.

Ubel

I love the sound of that premise and the visuals look nice and moody! Gonna try this out for sure when you're done!

EliasFrost

Here'a a new screenshot, things are going steadily forward now that I'm more comfortable with drawing backgrounds and animating, in the beginning it took some time to get used to the isometric angle and the color pallette, now I'm working at double speed and it feels good to be able to realize my ideas relatively quickly. :)

CaptainD

Wow... LOVE the lighting in that scene.

Haven't really played many isometric games since Head Over Heels on the 8 and 16-bits... your game is looking ever more interesting!

cianty

This looks extremely interesting! Good luck and I hope you pull through.
ca. 70% completed

Chicky

Watched the video and it seems your design is coming along nicely, the heavy compression really doesn't do it justice though; The screenshots look lovely, very tidy style you've got there Frostfalk.

EliasFrost

Thanks for the comments, the game is coming along nicely :)

nvm

DoorKnobHandle

I'm pretty sure Chicky is talking about video compression, Frostfalk.

EliasFrost

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Sat 02/11/2013 17:31:29
I'm pretty sure Chicky is talking about video compression, Frostfalk.

OOOOoooooooooohhhhh That's right, my bad. :P

Pinback

Wonderful! You had me hooked at stormy suburban night.

EliasFrost

I've uploaded a new video with a bit better quality (still isn't optimal but it's good enough for now).

The new video features a new area, some rewritten texts, hints were added and I've made some minor changes to the streets.

[embed=640,390]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4spYVI88JIA[/embed]

EliasFrost

Hey, I just want to let everyone know what's going on since last update:

- Updating graphics and controls for the keypad (no longer keyboard input, graphical keypad added)
- Added additional animation to certain events and added frames where lacking
- New Area added
- Script (as in "movie-script") for prologue completely finished with dialogue and events
- I'm working on the graphics for a new character

And that's pretty much it, I will post a new screenshot when I'm ready. And later on during the winter I will accept play-testers, I will announce when the need arises.

And one last thing, what do you guys and gals think about pop-up hints, like the one in the video above, should I keep them like they are or should I display that information in one single screen when starting a new game?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk