The Ruin of Souls

Started by kaput, Wed 20/11/2013 12:14:54

Previous topic - Next topic

kaput

The new episode of Mysteries of Peak Valley is currently in development. We're going 'hi-res' this time. The game will be free to play and is set for release in 2015. Things are always pretty unpredictable with zero budget. We're working on some other games too so if the date does change I'll say so on here.

ABOUT:
The game takes place directly after the 'shocking twist' at the end of the previous episode. Don't want to give too much away at the moment, but things take an even more unexpected turn this time around. Stay tuned. If you haven't played the previous games in the series and want to catch up, you can access them HERE and HERE.

SCREENSHOTS:

FEATURING:
-An ongoing and developing storyline with more twists and turns than a twisty water slide
-beautiful graphics in 1280x720
-One-Click Interface
-Full English voice-acting
-Freeware

THE TEAM:
-Story, scripting and graphic design/edits by Sunny Penguin
-Co writing and background art by Gingersnap
-Character art by Cogliostro
-Lead testing and proof reading by Alpy
-Sound/Music by Doc Savage

Slasher

Wow SP 8-0

Things looks great so far.

The team have done well. Looking forward very much.

What can I do but sit here and wait... wait... wait...

slasher going grey waiting ;)

Cogliostro

WOW!  You really stepped up your game.  [pun intended]

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

kaput

Thanks, Slasher. Well, I could put you down on the list for testers when we need? Up for it?

Quote from: Cogliostro on Wed 20/11/2013 15:08:01
WOW!  You really stepped up your game.  [pun intended]

Heh, hell yeah. Taking it all very serious now. Won't see Sunny Penguin Games mucking around any more.
About that character art... ;)

Also, for any musicians out there - as the initial post implies, we need one. If anyone is even partially interested just send me a pm.

Andail

Looking pretty cool, mr Sunny Penguin :)

kaput

Thank you, sir :) it's a well needed boost for us. 

qptain Nemo

I sense some kind of subtle blur or bloom in there. I like it. I'm a sucker for that kinda shit.
I hope you get this done. And I really hope I get around to playing the previous installments before you do.

kaput

You sense correct - Gotta have the bloom! The previous installments aren't incredibly long, the second one is longer. Probably could spend an hour on it, tops. This game will hopefully blow them out the water, though.

Eric

Those backgrounds are beautiful, and I'm curious as to the combination of programs and effects you used to create them. They look much more natural than other 3D game backgrounds I've seen (and, I hope you won't take offense, than in the backgrounds of the previous games in the series). I'm curious as to how you'll deal with the dynamic lighting on characters as they move through the environment. Any chance you'd start a separate tutorial thread?

kaput

Hey, Eric. Thanks for the feedback, buddy ;-D. Our wonderful background artist will no doubt be thrilled to hear that. I'm just the ideas man and bloom/additional editing guy 8-).

Regarding the dynamic lighting - a very good question that I scratched my brain a lot about. Through experimentation and 'challenging the limits of AGS' (ie bashing my head against a table), I have decided to achieve this through very precise and careful layout of not only light regions and their assigned tones, but by fiddling with different views. Our sprite artist will render them normally, and I will edit them, creating several versions within PS of different shadings. It's 'means tested' and as I say, quite fiddly and time consuming, but I'm quite happy with the outcome. I'd be quite happy to upload a video a little further down the line? And don't worry... I'm not offended. The previous graphics were made very quickly and I'm under no illusion how inferior they are to these ones :-D.

Cheers!

Stupot

:shocked: Dem. Backgrounds!
Looking forward to this one, SP.

gingersnap

Hey, cool to see some interest in this thing. I'm very excited to be working on it and I think it's going to be great :) I absolutely adore adventure games and am very stoked to be part of making one, and I don't even have to figure out the scripting.

Quote from: Eric on Wed 20/11/2013 19:53:08
Those backgrounds are beautiful, and I'm curious as to the combination of programs and effects you used to create them. They look much more natural than other 3D game backgrounds I've seen

Thank you very much :) Everything is rendered out from the 3d package itself, textures created in photoshop. I went to school to learn how to use the 3d programs which goes a long way towards a more 'natural' look. Forced practice and an explanation of all the powerful features :)

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 20/11/2013 22:41:08
:shocked: Dem. Backgrounds!

Thanks! Can't wait for everyone to see it all together. Heck, *I* want to see it all together. I don't even know the whole story! Sunnypenguin plays his cards close to his chest.

kaput

Hooray for characters! Hooray for updates and stuff! All is still pretty early days and maybe subject to change, but we're making progress.

Didn't want to show any new rooms so here is an old room with a character and cursor in it.

kaput

Progress is being made and The Ruin of Souls is still in development. We managed to get a musician on board, Yuri Lamarche, and we have a few songs added to the soundtrack already. The game will be out a little later than originally anticipated due to time spent on other quite demanding projects and so on, but here's some game art/puzzle locations to look at and give an idea of how things are going: 

Tramponline

Amazing work guys! This is looking better every time. Stunning backgrounds.

If you need thorough beta-testers at some point *wink, wink*
Spoiler
...with an off chance that you might hate me afterwards! :P
[close]

Baron

Quote from: Sunny Penguin on Wed 14/05/2014 23:27:23
We managed to get a musician on board, Yuri Lamarche

Good ol' Doc Savage, eh?  An excellent choice, in my opinion: he'll do you proud.  Good luck with finishing this off!

frenzykitty

kaput

Quote from: Tramponline on Wed 14/05/2014 23:36:29
If you need thorough beta-testers at some point *wink, wink*
Spoiler
...with an off chance that you might hate me afterwards! :P
[close]

When we reach that stage I'll certainly keep you in mind ;). The more critical the better, so no worries about any hatin' up in here.

Quote from: Baron on Thu 15/05/2014 03:33:25
Good ol' Doc Savage, eh?  An excellent choice, in my opinion: he'll do you proud.  Good luck with finishing this off!

Yeah, man, his style is pretty awesome. And thanks! Slow and steady wins the race 8-).

Slasher

About time Sunny (laugh)

Waiting eagerly in the dark...... (laugh)

kaput

Time for the July update. Things are going well, most of the games assets ie visuals and audio have been completed and a good chunk the game mechanics have been realised. I'm thinking about a 2015 release because the likelyhood that this game will be finished this year is becoming less likely - the time I can spend on development varies quite a bit as I'm working on other stuff, but things are going pretty smoothly, so I'm hopeful. The team have been really great.

Here is some concept art and in game screen shots to display a bit of the game playablity, more to come (these are just large thumbnails for ease of viewing on here):

Cassiebsg

WoW!
This is looking so awesome! Great atmosphere too!
Loving it! Keep up the great work. :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Slasher

Hiya Sunny,

Looking good ;)

If only we could 'stretch' time...

I'm lucky (if I should say that) in the fact that I am able to spend 7 / 12 hours a day on a game, hence I can get things done quicker.

Nonetheless, keep up the good work mate (nod)

slasher

kaput

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 13/07/2014 07:06:36
WoW!
This is looking so awesome! Great atmosphere too!
Loving it! Keep up the great work. :)

Thanks Cassiebsg :cheesy: glad you like the atmosphere, really encouraging!

Quote from: slasher on Sun 13/07/2014 09:06:21
If only we could 'stretch' time...

Yeah, I wish. In my ideal world I'd be working on this and my other games 24/7. Life gets in the way, I guess. Maybe 2015 is a bit of a stretch but just trying to be realistic at this point. Don't want to rush it either.

Cheers guys. I'll update more often now probably starting with showing some more character art and blurbs.

Slasher

Hi Sunny ;)

Well, pull your finger out and get this, and Joe Trekker, to our screens in time for christmas (laugh)

I'de love to see Jack and Charles solve a case together... What a pair (laugh)

Tick tock...................................

shaun9991

looking really classy guys, great work!
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Cogliostro

I love the new name.  And the backgrounds are just amazing!  Glad I was able to help with this project.

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

Doc_Savage

Hahah Baron Thanks ;)

Quote from: Baron on Thu 15/05/2014 03:33:25
Quote from: Sunny Penguin on Wed 14/05/2014 23:27:23
We managed to get a musician on board, Yuri Lamarche

Lol Thanks Baron! ;)

edit by darth - posts combined.  no need to double-post.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk