OSD 3D attempt

Started by jwalt, Thu 21/11/2013 21:54:58

Previous topic - Next topic

jwalt

You folks don't need to tear this up, since I plan on trying again, but you certainly can if you want to do so; this is the Critics Lounge, afterall. Just wanted to share, since I liked a couple of things here.

An attempt at OSD, using Anim8or:

[imgzoom]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/jwalt10705/osdHairTry_zps39d42054.gif[/imgzoom]

Used some bones in the hair, which, somehow, seemed appropriate for this particular character. Also gave him a suitable "bump out," for Ray's enjoyment.

"They call me many things..."              "Yo, Manny, 'sup?"

bicilotti

Uhhhhh that "milennium" feeling! Great work!

qptain Nemo

Rofl! This is lovely! :D

Construed

not bad for handmade! If you want an easy way to do humans try makehuman project.
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes.
Then I met the man with no feet.

ThreeOhFour

CaptainD

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Fri 22/11/2013 11:04:42
PERFECT :cheesy:

Not quite...

Add a Square Enix logo to his t-shirt and then it will be perfect. :P

Nice job jwalt!

Ghost

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 22/11/2013 12:53:29
Add a Square Enix logo to his t-shirt and then it will be perfect. :P

But... the whole guy IS a square!!!! :=

I'd call it so bad it's awesome, but  this is meant in a good way.

Goddamn. The hair. That HAIR!!!

Ponch

This is going on the OSD website the next time I update it! :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

jwalt

And here, all this time, I thought you folks had good taste. :-D

Guess I'll have to try to work on him some more.

In the meantime, here's one 3D nemesis for our gallant hero. No hair, but there are some bones in it:

This also done in Anim8or.

Anian

jwalt, you keep making characters the same way over and over, find tutorials on the web and try out stuff.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Ponch

Quote from: Anian on Sat 23/11/2013 00:49:10
jwalt, you keep making characters the same way over and over, find tutorials on the web and try out stuff.
You seem to be implying that these aren't simply the greatest Oceanspirit Dennis models ever made! :P

Love the blob. Here's hoping Ray or Hansel are next.  ;-D

jwalt

@Ponch

Without specifically stating it, I'd made an attempt at Ray, earlier:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=48389.msg636458263#msg636458263

Anian and Armageddon both offered helpful suggestions, back then, which I have been working on. Apparently not fast enough, but such is life.

Pulled some stuff together and here 'tis:

Bryce render. with mostly Anim8or stuff. Looks like OSD may be levitating, a bit. Have to check that out.

Armageddon

Please get a decent modeling program like Blender or 3Dsmax.

jwalt

@ Armageddon:

I have been working at Blender, and I do understand the power of the program. But I am making frustratingly slow progress. Anim8or, on the other hand, is becoming fairly comfortable. All the previous bodies, here, were made quite some time ago. I just now worked this one up in Anim8or:

She's headless at the moment, but I'll work on that next, given time.

@ Ponch:

This was an attempt at the boobies body for the Piratess in OSD3.

Edit 1:

Since the face will take some time, thought I'd try for the mouse (or a mouse).

I'm not too sure if I need to go beyond this with the legs? This would work for what I have in mind at the moment, and my cat seems to be quite satisfied with the rubber one that looks a lot like this one.

qptain Nemo

This is amazing. Please continue making this.

And Anian and Armageddon, by all means your suggestions apply fully generally speaking, but in this particular context I believe they're unnecessary. ;-D

Ghost

Quote from: jwalt on Sun 24/11/2013 00:57:58
This was an attempt at the body for the Piratess in OSD3.

Now I'd love to see Oceanspirit Denise and Whoohoo-Partner Rei!

Come on jWalt! DO IT!!!!!

Renal Shutdown

Quote from: Construed on Fri 22/11/2013 03:50:58
If you want an easy way to do humans try makehuman project.

Please don't.

Quote from: jwalt on Sun 24/11/2013 00:57:58
I have been working at Blender, and I do understand the power of the program. But I am making frustratingly slow progress.

Have a search for BlenderCookie/CGCookie's tutorials.  Especially David Ward's ones.  They're easy to understand and will get you to an intermediate level quickly.
"Don't get defensive, since you have nothing with which to defend yourself." - DaveGilbert

jwalt

@ qptain Nemo

Thanks for that! I probably should have made the initial post in the Rumpus Room, since I really did intend humor. I pulled up an old attempt at OSD to try something with the hair. The result cracked me up, and I wanted to share it. However, long term, Anian and Armageddon are both correct; Anim8or may not get me where I'd like to go. I can do animated gifs/avis with the program, but getting the rigged character and the motions from Anim8or into another program is likely to fail, unless there's something, some magical "Save As," that I have yet to find.

@ Ghost

I've only gotten through the first four games... Well, three actually. I lost interest in the RPG. I've yet to encounter those two.

@ Renal Shutdown

So much of the stuff I've found about Blender doesn't always explain the shortcut keys, or how to get to the right menus. I found a pdf of the Blender manual, slightly older than the version of Blender I have, which is more my cup-of-tea. It does take time.

@ All

I also have DAZ Studio, a Beta version of TrueSpace (released as Freeware after MS dropped it), the standard version of IClone, and the standard version of the 3DXchange program to move stuff into and out of IClone. DAZ Studio doesn't always behave as well as I'd like. TrueSpace's complexity mirrors Blender's. I've been impressed with IClone, but yet another learning curve to bang my head against.

I'm not able to promise making anything out of any of this, which may have been a part of Anian's comment. Having said that, I do have some thoughts about the mouse, if I can get a head for the gal and finish rigging OSD. It might even make a single room AGS game.

Edit: For my mouse based game to work, I now believe I'll also need a dead fish and a pelican. More stuff to make...

Anian

Quote from: Renal Shutdown on Sun 24/11/2013 06:40:36
Quote from: Construed on Fri 22/11/2013 03:50:58
If you want an easy way to do humans try makehuman project.
Please don't.
Apart from touch ups that need to be done on the models, why not? You get a level of customization and model is textured. I usually put clothes on the models, add hair and clean up the eyes a bit. I don't have anything worth showing of this process, but I think it's rather good (as in faster than modelling from scratch).

Armageddon

Because it's lazy Anian and it doesn't look original or good in any way. Also most of the time the textures on the models are either flat colors or tiled patterns. There's no UV unwrapping for AO baking or normal baking.

Just learn to model and don't use all those character making studio products. Also most of them are never anatomically correct from what I've seen. That's a good thing to learn and study and do yourself.

Anian

Quote from: Armageddon on Sun 24/11/2013 20:15:07
Because it's lazy Anian and it doesn't look original or good in any way. Also most of the time the textures on the models are either flat colors or tiled patterns. There's no UV unwrapping for AO baking or normal baking.

Just learn to model and don't use all those character making studio products. Also most of them are never anatomically correct from what I've seen. That's a good thing to learn and study and do yourself.
Are you perhaps thinking of Poser/DAZ studio?

Technocrat

In my opinion, this character is very much in the spirit of OSD.

Monsieur OUXX

I'm so happy Technocrat dug that up, or else I would have totally missed it.

Spontaneous reaction: OH GOD WHY
Rational reaction: yep, totally in the spirit of OSD.

Gilbert

Nah! True 3D realisation of OSD is this!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk