PD- now with voices

Started by Igor, Tue 30/07/2002 19:02:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Igor

Here's my first little AGS game. Ok, it's not really a game- more of a little learning project, to try out interface, interaction scripting, and generaly to grasp the basics of program… however there's also one easy puzzle for you to solve (the game has its »ending«, so you'll know when you'll done everything there is).

INTERFACE:

-ESC brings up the menu (be sure to check it out)
-LEFT CLICK to Walk (or exit in a new room, when exit arrow is available)
-DOUBLE LEFT CLICK to Talk/Interact/Use Inventory Item
-RIGHT CLICK to Look (or if you have selected inventory item, that's how you get rid of it)
-click on little »i« icon in the left bottom corner of the screen to bring up inventory (or press »i« button on keyboard).

RESOLUTION: 640x400, hi-colors. I think you shouldn't have (too big) problems with speed (it runs reasonably good on Celeron 200Mhz… not great, but bearable).

There's now new version of PD game... with voices!
Thanks to Roderick Leermakers (aka Flux) and his sexy voice (although a bit less sexy in this game ;) )! He did great job :)

Game with speech pack can be downloaded here (3,7 mb):
maniacco.tripod.com/downloads/PDvoice.zip --(copy&paste in browser)
or
http://maniac.adventuredevelopers.c...ads/PDvoice.zip
-------------------------------------------------------

If you have slow modem (and you didn't download game on old forum), you can still get version without speech pack (2 mb):
maniacco.tripod.com/downloads/PD.zip --(copy&paste in browser)
or
http://maniac.adventuredevelopers.com/downloads/PD.zip

jannar85

awsome! I'll download the voice pack when I get back home. :)
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Privateer Puddin'

rsgortat

Excellent! Graphics are great! Interface works very well! Good job on that! The voice is just right, is that you?

Hope to see more of your work!

Ralph

LGM

You. Me. Denny's.

Gilbert

Read his original post, try alternative path:
QuoteGame with speech pack can be downloaded here (3,7 mb):
maniacco.tripod.com/downloads/PDvoice.zip --(copy&paste in browser)

Ionias

Dude that was pretty cool.

Igor

Thanks, i'm glad you like it :)
Rsgortat- no, the speech pack was recorded by Flux (Roderick Leermakers). He offered to do the voices for this game and of course i agreed :)

LGM

You. Me. Denny's.

Al_Ninio

DUDE!
this is awasome...
totally awasome...
can't wait 'till the finished game is out...
*drooling*

Opo Terser

THE HOTEL CLERK RULES!!!1!!1

Argentinian

Your game is really FANTASTIC!!! Really professional.
Are you working on a game now? Can you show us more of your incredible graphics?
Download my first game:
RON: The Phantom Inheritance

jannar85

Argentinian: Try Ignac. It's great!

Igor

Thanks again!
Argentinian- the game i'm working on is Ignac 2. It was first MMF project, but after trying AGS i found out it does almost everything i need, and is 100% easier to code than MMF (for adventures that is)... so we are now rescripting game in AGS :)

About graphic- you can find my online gallery here: http://maniacco.tripod.com/more.htm

Argentinian

Jannar85: Thanks! I'll try it.
Igor: I'll check your gallery.
Download my first game:

Argentinian

Sorry, but I couldn't find Ignac 1. Where I can get it?
Download my first game:

magintz

I loved every second of it......

Great Graphics, great sounds, great animations..... great GREAT GREAT!

I just got some critisism

1. You need custom save/load boxes to fit your general layout.

I'd be more than happy to do it for you if you send me the graphics for it, i.e background, buttons etc... and i'll do all the scripting and compile it so you can just copy and paste it all..........

Final Thought - It might be better if you send me an export of all yuor gui's otherwise you won't be able to import the others into it....

All I ask in return is advice..... how did you get your graphics so crisp and clean? What programs do you use, what size do you draw your backgrounds/characters at?

Thank You (P.S please let me do your save/load, i want to be a part of something which looks good :D)
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Igor

Maginz, it would be wonderful, if you could do the save&load dialogs for me! :)
I'll leave PD the way it is, however i wanted to use custom dialogs for Ignac2.
I didn't decided what design will i use for Ignac's save and load yet, but i'll try to put it down
as soon as possible (could you do something in style of Toonstruck, where a small picture of location was saved
along with text?)

About drawing: all graphic in PD was hand-drawn first (line work), scaned and colored on computer. All character animations were done in vectors (you can find out more about vectors in my little tutorials, here: http://maniacco.tripod.com/tutorials2.htm
 ).

Backgrounds in the other hand, were first converted in vectors too, after i put up basic colorsin Flash, i exported them as bitmaps and continue with coloring in Painter (to add some bitmap effects).

jannar85

Argentinian

Jannar: Thanks for the link!!
Download my first game:

Dorcan

I already have played you "test" game, and I found it..err...magnificent! ;D (can we say that ?)
For the voices, I really liked the houskeeper one !! But for the hero, I found his voice... unpleasant. I don't know, his voice  gets on my nerves. :P
Anyway, good quality (for the voices), but it may be better, because there is still noise when the characters speak... ok ok, I know it's hard to remove it completely, it was just a little criticism. :)

Igor

Nice to hear you like the game :)
About voices- i agree. I imagined detective's voice a bit different too (more in "Philip Marlowe" style). However we went on the first ball with this game- Flux simply recorded voices and for such a short game, there was no point in making more work for him, by going back to record different voice for Edd.

Btw, noises weren't really our fault- they were recorded in perfect quality (and saved in mp3). However, because of the bug in AGS (that chop the last half second from the Mp3 files) i needed to convert mp3s in wavs- in the worst quality (otherwise the file size would jump up drastically).

2ma2

Igor! I found an even better way to clean the outlines. Make your char just like you want it, and export it as a 24-bit bitmap or something to avoid loosing any detail. The only thing you MUST do is make the background black (or if you have any black outlines #111111). Now simply open this in PS, and fill the background white without any antialias or tolerance. Use the pencil, and set it to lighten. Then set the outline color for for instance the skin parts, and draw ontop of the skin outlines. If your outline is brighter instead, just set the pencil to darken. So far, this is the greatest technique I've encountered. :D

Igor

Sounds great! Thanks for the info- I'll sure try it out :)

cornjob

Gee, I don't know why I never downloaded this demo before (actually it's because I haven't checked out many games recently at all). Anyway, I know this has been  said a million times, but your graphics are awesome. The total package: composition, color, everything just totally appeals to me.

x0z

Damn, you are awesome!

How you can make so good pictures...? What program...
MAKE TUTORIALS! ;D

Igor

X0Z- i'll make some more tutorials.. promise. Actually, "Squash&Stretch" animation tuts should be up tomorow :)

fidodido

Absolutely spectacular!

The graphics and the interface remind me the demo of Runaway: A Road Adventure, the game I waited and never came (except the spanish version).

The voice acting is also superb.

I am also downloading Ignac right now, and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Keep up the good work!

Esseb

Actually fido, it's COMING!"3

fidodido

I've just visited PENDULO STUDIOS RUNAWAY PAGE.

I checked the news and the last post says that Runaway is available in spain.

Do you have more info about it that I don't know?

Esseb

fidodido

Thanks, Esseb.

I can't wait! I've played Runaway demo, and it was stunning.

Hey, why won't you try out my new (and first) adventure game:
The Next Curse (1.7 MB).

(Then you'll understand my avater image, and the "Go Lanterns" slogen).

Esseb

If you can tell me how the heck you managed to get the demo running I will.

fidodido

Hello again, Esseb.

The english version of Runaway requires some sort of codec for Windows Media Player.

This site has a link for this codec:
http://www.actiontrip.com/files/demos/runawayaroadadventure.phtml

If it doesn't work, you can still play the demo without the movies.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Find any AVI file in your computer (one that works - let's call it TEST.AVI).

2. Find the Runaway folder where the movies are stored in.

3. Back up those movies.

4. Copy TEST.AVI to the movies folder, and rename it as one of the movies' name.

5. Repeat step 4 with all the movies' names.

6. Now, play the game, and notice that every time that a movie should be played, your TEST.AVI will be played instead.

It really worth the hard work (even with no movies).

jrp

or you can download the truemotion codec from the same site where you got the demo :P

Igor

Wooo, people are still downloading PD! How cool is that :D
Thanks Fidodido. Agree that Runaway look very promising and i'm really looking forward to play it.

Esseb

I've looked everywhere, and every site either had it at one point, but it's gone now, or they link to one of those pages. Bah :/.

I'll check the avi replacing method.

jrp

I actually couldn't fin the codec either. But I noticed you can load games (the demo comes with several loaded games)
I found particulary interesting the algorithm by which the character appaers well drawn when scaled. That one blows my mind.

Also, I think the characters are done in 3dMAx, and rendered using "toonrayes" o "illustrator" (the render plugin called "illustrator").

Esseb

Yeah, the chars are 3d models rendered with toonshaders.

ratracer

Well, Runaway is a good game, but unfortunately a tab bit small...

Butcher

it's a demo dude!
:)

HEY IGOR! this is REALLY COOL! it seems very very promising! the graphics are pretty much the coolest I've seen on AGS (you should really stick to AGS 'cause it's the coolest) and I'm planning to get into your tutorials as fast as possible! YOU ROCK!

On the other hand ...GO TO HELL YOU ARTSY BASTARD! WE DON'T NEED TALENTED PEOPLE USING THIS ENGINE! Damn! this game makes me want to quit ags for ever! i can't ever reach that level of gamemaking! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

well just kidding about all those damnations...although after playing wtii,PD,and revenants demos I seriously thought to myself...what the hell am I doing here? I could never compete against that kind of adventuregamemaking...still I'll make RR3 just for the heck of it!

GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING! can't wait to see the complete game!

-------edit
oops! just realised there isn't going to be a complete game...silly me...though there should be...I'm downloading Ignac right now...
---------------------

Igor

Butcher- thanks ;D
PD was really just a short testing game for me to get used to AGS... and that's all. Ignac2 is where all the really hard work goes ;)

Oh, and i'll stick with AGS. It rocks!

Visti

Damn, dude!
That's gotta be the best original stuff I've seen in a very long time. Superb animation/graphics, excellent atmosphere, feel and style. To describe the graphics without using superlatives is like describing Samatha Fox's ...(Well, you know) ...  without using both hands. The menus also work out so well that this one has to get a freakin' high score on my personal Demo review list. After seeing this i can't wait for Ignac II...Well, In fact I've been waiting for that since Ignac. Keep up the fantastic work. (Can't tell you to stick with AGS because it's the best, because I've only just started using it. Seems brilliant so far)

Igor

Visti: appreciate it!
And as a fan of Samantha Fox's... things... i'm flattered someone compare my graphic to those two big... natural... pieces of art ;)

danny*

Simply,THE COOLEST (demo) GAME I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!
Thanks!!!

Leisuresuitpim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk