PD- now with voices

Started by Igor, Tue 30/07/2002 19:02:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorcan

I already have played you "test" game, and I found it..err...magnificent! ;D (can we say that ?)
For the voices, I really liked the houskeeper one !! But for the hero, I found his voice... unpleasant. I don't know, his voice  gets on my nerves. :P
Anyway, good quality (for the voices), but it may be better, because there is still noise when the characters speak... ok ok, I know it's hard to remove it completely, it was just a little criticism. :)

Igor

Nice to hear you like the game :)
About voices- i agree. I imagined detective's voice a bit different too (more in "Philip Marlowe" style). However we went on the first ball with this game- Flux simply recorded voices and for such a short game, there was no point in making more work for him, by going back to record different voice for Edd.

Btw, noises weren't really our fault- they were recorded in perfect quality (and saved in mp3). However, because of the bug in AGS (that chop the last half second from the Mp3 files) i needed to convert mp3s in wavs- in the worst quality (otherwise the file size would jump up drastically).

2ma2

Igor! I found an even better way to clean the outlines. Make your char just like you want it, and export it as a 24-bit bitmap or something to avoid loosing any detail. The only thing you MUST do is make the background black (or if you have any black outlines #111111). Now simply open this in PS, and fill the background white without any antialias or tolerance. Use the pencil, and set it to lighten. Then set the outline color for for instance the skin parts, and draw ontop of the skin outlines. If your outline is brighter instead, just set the pencil to darken. So far, this is the greatest technique I've encountered. :D

Igor

Sounds great! Thanks for the info- I'll sure try it out :)

cornjob

Gee, I don't know why I never downloaded this demo before (actually it's because I haven't checked out many games recently at all). Anyway, I know this has been  said a million times, but your graphics are awesome. The total package: composition, color, everything just totally appeals to me.

x0z

Damn, you are awesome!

How you can make so good pictures...? What program...
MAKE TUTORIALS! ;D

Igor

X0Z- i'll make some more tutorials.. promise. Actually, "Squash&Stretch" animation tuts should be up tomorow :)

fidodido

Absolutely spectacular!

The graphics and the interface remind me the demo of Runaway: A Road Adventure, the game I waited and never came (except the spanish version).

The voice acting is also superb.

I am also downloading Ignac right now, and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Keep up the good work!

Esseb

Actually fido, it's COMING!"3

fidodido

I've just visited PENDULO STUDIOS RUNAWAY PAGE.

I checked the news and the last post says that Runaway is available in spain.

Do you have more info about it that I don't know?

Esseb

fidodido

Thanks, Esseb.

I can't wait! I've played Runaway demo, and it was stunning.

Hey, why won't you try out my new (and first) adventure game:
The Next Curse (1.7 MB).

(Then you'll understand my avater image, and the "Go Lanterns" slogen).

Esseb

If you can tell me how the heck you managed to get the demo running I will.

fidodido

Hello again, Esseb.

The english version of Runaway requires some sort of codec for Windows Media Player.

This site has a link for this codec:
http://www.actiontrip.com/files/demos/runawayaroadadventure.phtml

If it doesn't work, you can still play the demo without the movies.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Find any AVI file in your computer (one that works - let's call it TEST.AVI).

2. Find the Runaway folder where the movies are stored in.

3. Back up those movies.

4. Copy TEST.AVI to the movies folder, and rename it as one of the movies' name.

5. Repeat step 4 with all the movies' names.

6. Now, play the game, and notice that every time that a movie should be played, your TEST.AVI will be played instead.

It really worth the hard work (even with no movies).

jrp

or you can download the truemotion codec from the same site where you got the demo :P

Igor

Wooo, people are still downloading PD! How cool is that :D
Thanks Fidodido. Agree that Runaway look very promising and i'm really looking forward to play it.

Esseb

I've looked everywhere, and every site either had it at one point, but it's gone now, or they link to one of those pages. Bah :/.

I'll check the avi replacing method.

jrp

I actually couldn't fin the codec either. But I noticed you can load games (the demo comes with several loaded games)
I found particulary interesting the algorithm by which the character appaers well drawn when scaled. That one blows my mind.

Also, I think the characters are done in 3dMAx, and rendered using "toonrayes" o "illustrator" (the render plugin called "illustrator").

Esseb

Yeah, the chars are 3d models rendered with toonshaders.

ratracer

Well, Runaway is a good game, but unfortunately a tab bit small...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk