MAGS December: "Rebirth" (Winner Announced)

Started by Atelier, Mon 02/12/2013 20:29:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

This month's winner was Cryo by Peder Johnsen and Atavismus.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: 'Rebirth'

The year is almost over, but that also means a new one is just around the calendrical corner!

This month, make a game all about something old/at the end of its 'life' starting anew. Think fresh starts or reinvigoration.

• A family move away from their old life in the city to a strange village
• A bear emerges from hibernation in the spring to find everything has changed

Ending 31st December

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Atelier

Retro Wolf

I have an idea, I've drawn a character. I'm still not very motivated! So take that as a very small possibility that I will enter. The idea inspires me more than last month though.

Grundislav

selmiak

you could expand the story from your orow game ;)

Myshkin

I like the idea of this one, but I only just noticed this today. So... that leaves 3 weeks to go. Maybe?

Abisso

It's awesome! The idea I had for the November MAGS fits this one quite well too! ;-D
And, most importantly I absolutely don't have enough time to even try (once again). :(
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

Dualnames

I'm working on something, perhaps I'll even make it.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Dualnames

Double post, but heck, here's a screenie:

It's a horror game, a short one indeed, I will hopefully make it.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Atavismus

Hi all!

Very interesting subject one more time.
So one more time I started something...
Will it sink into oblivion again !?
All is a matter of time...
But this time I have something! More than a start!
Please, in this Xmas time, give us a gift: time!
At least, it should end on the 2nd of January (midnight) as the Rebirth topic was posted on the 2nd of December.

Thx!

Abisso

Quote from: Dualnames on Wed 25/12/2013 04:11:25
It's a horror game, a short one indeed, I will hopefully make it.

That "screenie" is incredibly charming. Hope the game keeps that style / feel.

Myshkin

Looks nice Dualnames! Hope you can get it done on time. I started work on one 2 weeks ago, but I haven't had a lot of time lately and at the speed I'm working (this is my second game ever so I'm still learning AGS as I go) there's no way I'll finish in a few days. Still, thanks to Atelier for the topic, because I've now come up with an idea I wouldn't have otherwise, and I'll hopefully finish it over the next few weeks. To try and get the game done in time, I just started sketching things roughly in pen, but I think I'll stick with this style because I kind of like it now.

SISYPHUS REBORN:

Abisso

I love the minimalism of that style, Emont. Good luck with the game!

Dualnames

Abisso and Eremont, thanks for the nice words. And indeed very interesting minimalistic style you got there.

Peder 🚀

It would be great if we could get an extension like Atavismus mentioned in an earlier post so we can finish our game called CRYO:

"The story is about a man who wakes up in a white technological medicalized room. Sounds familiar? But this man is not anyone…
Based on a true story and hypothetical future."

Atavismus

Well, nevermind ;)
Shortened and unpolished version on the way!

Atelier

Entrants, I PMd you with the new deadline (7th Jan)!

Dmitry Stefantsov

Greetings, fellow adventurers!

I'm new to this forum, and I must admit that this is a great place with the very creative community ;-D Anyway, I wanted to attend the January MAGS contest to get started. Am I correct that the December contest finishes at the 7th of January, and the next one starts right after that? Atelier, can you provide the information? Thanks in advance :)

Atelier

Welcome to the forums Dmitry!

MAGS January is open now: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=49773.0

There is an extension to the December MAGS so people could finish their entries - the December and January competitions are running side by side for this first week.

Dmitry Stefantsov

Thanks for the answer, Atelier. Can't wait to join in :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk