Character image and color shades

Started by Tamanegi, Wed 04/12/2013 14:51:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamanegi

I'm having doubts about if I should include a third shade of color to my two-shade character:

Left and right are how he is currently looking, middle is how I tried to include a third shade per color. I am mostly lost where I should put the highlights on a material that doesn't shine, like fabric or skin, and you can see that especially with his shirt I was mostly guessing.
I don't want the other images to look crappy just because I tried something that doesn't work, but I can see that it adds extra depth to my image. So, any thoughts?
Don't Look! MAGS 12-2010
Mediocre Expectations Current development blog

Anian

I'd loose the third shade, it kind of clashes with the "simple" style of the character design and, from a practical stand point, you'll make your life so much easier if there's less shades to keep track off while animating.

Also, I'd make the shoes (and that part of the trousers above them) smaller.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Monsieur OUXX

Eric

I'd mirror Monsieur OUXX's advice, simply because the sort of fabric your character is wearing isn't very reflective, but hair is.

Tamanegi

That makes sense, thank you. Progress is slow, but I get to working on the sprites every now and then :)
Don't Look! MAGS 12-2010
Mediocre Expectations Current development blog

EliasFrost

I think the extra shading works on the shoes as well. But it depends on what kind of shoes it is, if it's synthetic leather (which most sneakers are partly made of) then the extra shading makes sense, if it's cloth, not so much.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk