Screen resolution issue

Started by EliasFrost, Sat 14/12/2013 21:59:55

Previous topic - Next topic

EliasFrost

I've had this problem some time now but I haven't thought about it all to much but now that I'm going to send it out for testing soon I think it's a good time to ask about this issue that I've been having.

So, my game is designed with the 640x400 resolution, and my screen has the resolution of 1920x1080. But when I run the game with scaling disabled in my graphics drivers (I use nvidia), or with scaling based on aspect ration, I get a result that is the exact opposite from what I expect. The image below demonstrates my problem.

And as much as I dislike sidebars, it's the only way to display my game properly. But what I get is this letterbox effect that stretches my graphics horribly. I have the "sidebars for widescreen" option ticked, but it doesn't change anything, even when I untick it. Is it an engine error or is it a graphics card issue? If you know what the problem is and how to overcome it, please feel free to tell me.

EliasFrost

Just found a solution (funny how I always do that right after I post my problems).

The solution was to switch the "perform scaling on" option from display to gpu, and now it works.

Crimson Wizard

AGS 3.2.1 has a bug that does not let sideborders work properly on some modern widescreen displays, like 1680x1050 and higher.
3.3.0 has this fixed.

EliasFrost

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 14/12/2013 22:19:13
AGS 3.2.1 has a bug that does not let sideborders work properly on some modern widescreen displays, like 1680x1050 and higher.
3.3.0 has this fixed.

How stable is 3.3.0 right now?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Frostfalk on Sat 14/12/2013 22:24:33
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 14/12/2013 22:19:13
3.3.0 has this fixed.

How stable is 3.3.0 right now?

Well, I was not advertising, just noted this. :)
Anyway, 3.3.0 is now at late beta stage; there were no major problems found in Windows version for some time (except one, that was fixed a month ago).
Number of people are doing their games using 3.3.0, including "Heroine Quest", "Mage's Initiation" (I think), and I got to know recently that "The Cat Lady's" steam version uses 3.3.0 too.
(Now I am advertising :D)

EliasFrost

Hah, I AM using the engine though, the more improved version I use the better. :)

There are lots of features that I'd like to use (mainly organization related stuff in the editor), I did try it out briefly earlier but I didn't add anything to my game, just trying out the current build with it with no problems detected. I rerolled to 3.2 just to be on the safe side.

That gave me the idea to compile the game for both versions when I test it. Or perhaps that's unnecessary.

EDIT: I heard that The Cat Lady had a few instances of crashes related to memory.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Frostfalk on Sat 14/12/2013 22:41:13
EDIT: I heard that The Cat Lady had a few instances of crashes related to memory.
That was the one issue I mentioned, it was fixed since, just the game used slightly older version of the engine.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=49643.msg636475271#msg636475271

EliasFrost

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 14/12/2013 23:10:51
Quote from: Frostfalk on Sat 14/12/2013 22:41:13
That was the one issue I mentioned, it was fixed since, just the game used slightly older version of the engine.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=49643.msg636475271#msg636475271

Oh ok thanks :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk