How to shade the Milky Way

Started by Ghost, Sun 15/12/2013 02:23:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

Yeah, I really suck at celestial bodies. You KNOW what I doodled here (it's a popular candy bar after all), but how to make it look tasty? :sealed:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/1HkPcVR.png[/imgzoom]

For reference: That is the good Commander (a shepherd) chasing a rogue Ghost across the Milky Way. Jus' so you know.
The sheep are space sheep and can breathe in space.

Armageddon

Make the center a little darker and have some of it drip off as an animation maybe. Or, since it's zero-g, float in a round sphere! :=

Right now it looks like a real candy bar and I think that find, but you're going for fake commercial look?

What's in real need of better shading is Jupiter.

selmiak

yeah, look at the commercials for the candybar and copy their cameraangles and tricks as in features that are accented in the commercials. But milkyway tastes crap, mars is way better and you can have the delicious caramel dripping out. Also I'd experiment with ridiculously over the top bright highlights on the candybar (especially on caramel) to make it look more shiny and more delicious.

Construed

Looks good but, I don't know if the cut side to the left is upside down or not, if not it also needs the texture, otherwise you'll notice very tiny lines crossing the bottom on real milky ways.
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes.
Then I met the man with no feet.

Ghost

Yeah I think I haven't been very precise here.

I have made an attempt to get the shading done on the  right part of the Milky Way bar. The left part is not shaded at all, that is placeholder stuff.

I am running into problems getting the colour right, and the texture of the bar looks all wrong.

Like selmiak suggested I did quite some research- even before I posted here- and fact is, I can't get this to look tasty. It's a candy bar. You should look at it and say, yes, I want to pick that thing up now and eat it, and then buy more.

I am really looking for paintovers here, or pics I may not have found. I need help. I am desperate. And I have no more Milky Ways.

Construed

I'm a noob pixel artist myself and have no real technique or anything, but i messed with it a few mins anyways for tha heck of it.

I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes.
Then I met the man with no feet.

Matti

Here's my crappy edit (with unwanted AA). In contrast to Construed I'd make the cream brighter to make it look tastier.

Edit: Btw, the real milky way looks great as does the scene altogether. Curiously absurd :)

cat

It looks like someone cut it with a scalpel, which is not a tasty thing to think of. Why not make it look like someone couldn't resist and made a huge byte? I also think that Matti's color (and especially the edges!) looks better.

Monsieur OUXX

I would have done something in the style of Matti.
Additionally, apply the very dark shading/high contrast (the one he used on the top) to the side and bottom.

[optional] Also instead of light brown, I would have shaded the inside foam rather yellow/orange. But still very light. It might not look exactly like the brand "milky way", but it would look yummy, and therefore remind the player of a chocolate bar.

Kastchey

Not sure if this is the colour depth and the level of details you're looking for, but from the way the awesome starry background is shaded, it might seem so.
Agree with Matti and the others that the filling could use a lighter tone; also applied higher contrast and saturation to match the background. The chocolate pattern on the top of the real Milky Way I looked at :) was a bit more asymmetric, so I have slightly tweaked it in the picture.

[imgzoom]http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii203/Kastchey/milkyway03-a1_zps584b024d.png[/imgzoom]

Ghost

Gee, thanks a buch, Matti and Kastchey (and everyone else too). That should get me started- I usually try to stick to three variants per colour but I see that I will need a bit more detail here. Thanks (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk