The Art of Dying - 8-Bit Platformer w/ Level Editor

Started by DoorKnobHandle, Wed 18/12/2013 22:55:17

Previous topic - Next topic

DoorKnobHandle

Thanks! Is anybody working on a level by chance?

selmiak

I started working on one but then got distracted by all kinds of things *cough*Heroines Quest*cough* ;)

Peder 🚀

I'm working on some, but since I'm in Norway I don't have the levels available over here :). Will continue working on them once I go back :P.

DoorKnobHandle

Hah oh well. Please do get back to your levels when you can then, I really, really would hate to have put ALL that work into the level editor and then have people not use it at all, would be a big shame! :p

Matti

No worries. I already made 3 levels and am working on another one :)

I tried to link them together but that doesn't seem to work. After finishing the first one the character is back at the starting point and falls through all floors and the level doesn't seem to be reset.

Also, is there a way to undo a link to the next level?

DoorKnobHandle

To undo a link, just hit X in the editor and leave the field empty!

When the game bugs out like that, it means the link failed (I should've put in a proper error message haha). The issue is most likely that you're not adding the file extension ".lvl" at the end of your string that you input after hitting X in the editor!

arj0n

Working on a mod plus plus a level pack (16 new levels).
All graphics/animations are 90% done now & 14 of the 16 new levels are done :)

WIP screen (*):

(*)this is not an actual level, just a quick 1screen to show some new graphic material...

DoorKnobHandle

Looks absolutely amazing, arjon, can't wait to play it myself!

Peder 🚀

OMG arj0n! That looks amazing :D. I can't wait to play neither! :P.

bicilotti

Quote from: Arj0n on Sun 05/01/2014 19:53:42
WIP screen (*):

This is awesome (and tempting me to reach a Win machine to play it :P )

arj0n

Thanx Peder.

Quote from: bicilotti on Mon 06/01/2014 02:56:46
This is awesome (and tempting me to reach a Win machine to play it :P )
Have you finished playing DKH's original levels already?
I hope to release the levelpack & mod within a week or two ;)

bicilotti

Quote from: Arj0n on Mon 06/01/2014 08:24:26
Have you finished playing DKH's original levels already?
I hope to release the levelpack & mod within a week or two ;)

Linux port doesn't like the joystick plugin (as Crimson wrote in the thread, missing stubs in the engine apparently). I should really work it out myself but I am not acquainted to the codebase. Soooo I might cheat on free software for this one :P

arj0n

Quote from: bicilotti on Mon 06/01/2014 15:12:49
This is tempting me to reach a Win machine to play it :P )

Tempting? Mamma Mia!! Mr. Bici, do you remember your own post-germittens words: 'whom I share the passion for retro stuff with'?
You HAVE TO have play this game. Plus my mod once it ready. (laugh)

---

Anyways, here's a little clip of the mod I'm working on:

The Art of Dying [MOD]: The Minion and the Pipe
[embed=640,390]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzE4X-uCmSA[/embed]

DoorKnobHandle

That looks so freaking cool, Arjon, I'm really really happy you're making this! Can NOT wait to play your mod!

arj0n

Well, thank you DKH, for making such game !WITH! a level editor.
Have had so much fun with it already (nod)
Hope to release this mod plus level pack within this month...

Matti

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Sat 04/01/2014 18:08:26
When the game bugs out like that, it means the link failed (I should've put in a proper error message haha). The issue is most likely that you're not adding the file extension ".lvl" at the end of your string that you input after hitting X in the editor!

Thanks, that has been the problem.

I uploaded a little pack with 4 levels. It's nothing special, I made most of it without having played much before (which I regret now). I think it's rather easy, but see for yourself.

Get it here.

DoorKnobHandle

They're awesome Matti! I haven't beaten them all yet (only the first two in fact), and they're quite challenging I would say. Also, they're pretty damn big! Nice work and thank you so much, you're the first person to release custom levels! Yay!

The Art of Dying is now also on GameJolt where it got an unbelievable 4.7 out of 5 rating so far! Also, here on the AGS Games Database, while we're still unrated by the panel, we now have the 5 necessary votes for a community rating and it's a very nice 4 cups out of 5. Especially awesome are the almost 90% visual quality and overall enjoyment, a big step up from the 70%-ish rating I got with KTX-1 in both those categories. Thanks for playing, voting and commenting everybody!

Snake

JAN! I LOVE this game :-D I've spent the last few days playing it. I've been hollering, swearing and having a blast during it all. I love the music and the graphics and it controls very well! It feels and sounds much like an actual NES game, which gets it bonus points right away anyway. NES rocks the shit out of anything else, IMHO.

I am playing it with my NES USB controller and on the TV! AWESOME.

I can tell you, if it wasn't for gamepad support, I wouldn't be playing this game. Games like this NEED to be played like this. I say that because I know it would be too hard played with the keyboard... you need to have precise movements and reflexes, which, I feel, only a gamepad can allow you to do. This is one of the main reasons, I think, that my game (which will remain nameless) failed ;)

I haven't played with the level editor yet, but I will eventually.

I really wish I could configure the NES controller to utilize the START and SELECT buttons, though. This isn't a big deal, but it IS a small pain when you're lazy to have to get up off the couch to press the ESC button to get back to the main screen or exit a menu.

This is a really great game over all. I can't find any more things to write about it, so I'll ramble on about it at the next band meeting ;)

I'm glad you got it up on GameJolt! You've already got tons of people playing it. I've followed it so I can recieve any updates :cheesy:
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

DoorKnobHandle

Thank you so much, Snake, I'm glad you're enjoying my game. Also, super awesome how your NES controller works with it. Thanks for following on GameJolt, I did indeed interest a couple people over there as well, which was nice. About the START and SELECT buttons, you could download the source of the game and hack that feature in yourself hehe. :p

Khris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk