Donald Dowell & the Ghost of Barker Manor

Started by Cogliostro, Thu 19/12/2013 21:37:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Cogliostro

Spoiler

Made it into Delano's room.  Got the suitcase open but still cannot escape the room.  So, I assume I have to get the safe open.  I tried every # on his driver's license, and every combination I imagined could be hidden in the knick-knacks.  Safe is still locked tight.  What am I missing?
[close]

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

AprilSkies

Spoiler
Delano's birthday. Try month+year. It's 4 numbers so try two from the month and two from the year [\hide]
[close]

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Cogliostro

AprilSkies,

Thanks, I swear I tried every combination EXCEPT that one.

Okay, I've been in Delano's room, picked up the ghost detector and gotten out of the rooms.  Now I've spoken to two ghosts and I need to get the shears from the gardener (Malachi?)  I keep on trying to swap one item for his shears after he sets them down, but nothing I try gets *ANY* response from the game.

Spoiler

I'm assuming I need the shears to cut up the painting, to make a fake ID, to get a beer, and to get into the church and the arcade room.
[close]

Anyone have any hints?

- Cogliostro

sthomannch

Cogliostro, you need something that makes the same sound
Spoiler

You forgot to look around in room 101. Look at the nightstand to the left Sorry, wrote down the wrong room number first
[close]

AprilSkies

Cagliostro:
Spoiler
Look in your inventory. I suppose you already have the note-pad that MacGeyser gave you. If not, I suppose you have to solve time-michine puzzle first. If yes, give the note-pad to Miss Betty Bunny, to ask her a signature .... go inside her room ... and ... you will find something
[close]

Cogliostro

Okay, I have the shears and I've been to the well. However, I have no idea what I do next.  I cannot find the hammer, but I assume it's at the bottom of the well.  I cannot get the Polaroid to make a fake ID.  (Now, I'm assuming that's how I get the job done.)   The architect does not show up at the fountain.  (His nose seems to be pretty distinctive.)  I cannot figure out how to get the kid off the swing.  (Atari, maybe?)   

Any pointers?
Cogliostro

AprilSkies

hi Cagliostro
Spoiler
take the denture in the director's office. To take it ask the director about bram stoker. Then go to the kid and use the denture on donald. Then cut the ropes of the rwing. With the ropes you gan go inside the well. To cut the rope you need mordechai's scissors. To get thdn use betty bunny's hair cutter on the scissors. [\hide]
[close]

CaptainD

Having trouble with the Time Machine.  Pretty sure I've worked out what to do on the second line, but it's not working...
Spoiler
Drop three little yellow balls down each purple valve?
[close]

AprilSkies

CaptainD
Spoiler
yeah, but be sure you got the right "age".. You can see a dial  on top left... A.d. Or B.c. ... In the song there are written historical events.. So you have to figure out the right age [\hide]
[close]

Cogliostro

Once again, I'm stuck.

Spoiler

I *assume* that I need to beat GOLIATH in a head-butting contest in order to get the gold coin, to trade to the leperchaun, to get the hammer, to give to MacGeyser, to get the Polaroid (maybe), to create a fake ID, to get a beer, to get access to the arcade and the church.  Obviously I challenged the Barker brothers to a bet and lost.  Then I promptly reloaded from a previous game to avoid losing the silver spoon - I only have one item made of silver. 

Now, I've been in the kitchen and gotten the meatloaf.  I've tried to talk the happy couple into a divorce and failed, but after that I have no idea how I'm supposed proceed.  Preventing blunt force trauma to the skull of your average octogenarian is not something that presents a ready solution.
[close]

- Cogliostro

AprilSkies

Cagliostro
Spoiler
give meatloaf to the butler, Reginald. Then use the rope on the deer head. With the deer head you can win against Golia, using it on Donald. If u lose the spoon, u can take another one going again in the tearoom. When u use the rope on the well, dont forget to take it with you. [\hide]
[close]

CosmoQueen

Stuck way too early on! How do I get to look in the book?
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

AprilSkies

CosmoQueen
Spoiler
go in the bathroom, take the paper on the chair and the strips from the foot of the mummy. Then throw the paper or the strips in the w.c. and flush it! You'll clog it . So go back to karl's room.[\hide]
[close]

Cogliostro

Chess Board Puzzle

Spoiler

I have to find pen and ink pot to give to the architect to get the plans to get the bridge completed.
I have find a wine expert to tell me the best year of wine so I can get the corkscrew.
Somehow I have to get the ghosthoover from the vampire - no idea on this one currently.

I assume the puzzle I can complete with my existing items is the chessboard.  So, *if* I interpreted the menu hint correctly, I've set the pieces up as:

B8: White rook
F7: White king
B6: Black knight (Was this space supposed to be A6?)
H7: Black king
F6: White bishop

That looks like it's one move from MATE, but nothing happens?  Where did I fumble?
[close]

- Cogliostro

AprilSkies

Hi Cocliostro:
Spoiler
Look at the menu: you'll see UPPER-CASE LETTERS and numbers:
manor burger Bread roll, onions, crab meat, Kipper filets, lettuce, Almonds, nutmeg, tartar sauce. euro 8,00
In this case .. BK-A8 means Black King - A8
Look all the others hints anf you'll Get:
Black king - A8
Black knight - B7
White king - B6
White rook - D7
White bishop - C6
[close]

Cogliostro

AprilSkies,

Okay, I have the following list of tasks I need to accomplish...
Spoiler

Find an expert - living, dead, or inanimate - on horse riding.
Find an expert on wine
Open Von Salad's windows - WITHOUT using the hammer
Get my hands on the vacuum cleaner
I assume somewhere along the line I'll get a lead on the three other map pieces
Presumably, I'll get Pinocchio and figure out what to ask the Admiral.
[close]

I've talked to everyone, and could really use a hint - or three -  on what to do next.

- Cogliostro

AprilSkies

Hi Cogliostro:

Spoiler

The expert on horse riding is someone expert on animals... so go to Dragan the Shepherd and ask him.
For the wine.. just try using hammer on each barrel... you'll find the empty one (supposed to be the best wine)
Then... you need to take the diamond ring from the girl in the restaurant...
So..
I suppose you have the nails... If not, go to the emporium and trade your magnetic fishing rod to obtain nails.
Then go to the director office and, after getting in... use the nails on the coffin (before Director get out).
Now you can get the vacuum cleaner and ... a key (you'll see a cut scene and after you'll have the key for the "Staff only room".
Go in the staff only room and take the attic's keys and a bra.
Then go again in the room 105 (Mrs marble room) take a picture of her with the polaroid.
Go in the restaurant and use The Bra on Bossy ... The young couple start to quarrel... Then use Mrs marble's picture on Bossy again ... and ... you'll see a cutscene. Now you can the take the diamond ring... use that to get into Caesar von salad's room (cutting the glass of the window).
[close]

Tinytim

If somebody says they know all the answers, they haven't been asked all the questions.

Cogliostro

Tinytim,

Spoiler
Talk to the bartender.
[close]

- Cogliostro

Shadow1000

Quote from: AprilSkies on Tue 24/12/2013 23:24:04
CaptainD
Spoiler
yeah, but be sure you got the right "age".. You can see a dial  on top left... A.d. Or B.c. ... In the song there are written historical events.. So you have to figure out the right age [\hide]
[close]
I am stuck at the same place

Spoiler
I don't have a clue what the different levers and switches do. I don't know what song you are referring to
[close]

SHADOW

AprilSkies

Hi Shadow
Spoiler

Look the ghost detector you have in the inventory and that you found in Delano's room.
Go in the "reading room", near the tea-room.
Here use the detector on Donald... Donald will use it.
Prof. henry Barker's Ghost will appear.
Talk with him and ask him of the time machine.
He will talk about a "song". Then ask him wich is his favourite book. He will answer "Gulliver". Then find this book (the blue/ciano one).
Take the book and look inside!
You'll find the song!
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: AprilSkies on Tue 31/12/2013 08:41:42
Hi Shadow
Spoiler

Look the ghost detector you have in the inventory and that you found in Delano's room.
Go in the "reading room", near the tea-room.
Here use the detector on Donald... Donald will use it.
Prof. henry Barker's Ghost will appear.
Talk with him and ask him of the time machine.
He will talk about a "song". Then ask him wich is his favourite book. He will answer "Gulliver". Then find this book (the blue/ciano one).
Take the book and look inside!
You'll find the song!
[close]

Ok, I found it. .
Spoiler
I'm wondering how the player was supposed to know that specific room. I used it in the bathroom based on the hint in the diary but I can't think of a hint indicating to use it in the reading room. Also, the hint seems to expect the player to be able to know what colour each button and lever and switch is. It seems that ONLY the dial has the colour labelled. For those of us who cannot tell red/green and other colour differences, is there a way to solve this puzzle?
[close]

Grazie

SHADOW

AprilSkies

Hi Shadow,
Spoiler

Befor founding Prof. Barker, if you ask the ghost in the bathroom where to find him, he answer that prof. Barker is often in the reading room.
About colors .. yes it's supposed you can recognise green from red. Now that you say that I imagine you're referring to someone who cannot recognise, so I'm thinking about labbelling each color button.
if you need help to solve, there are those pictures:

(they are for the italian version, but it's all the same EXCEPT FOR THE ERA BUTTON)
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: AprilSkies on Tue 31/12/2013 17:01:13
Hi Shadow,
Spoiler

Befor founding Prof. Barker, if you ask the ghost in the bathroom where to find him, he answer that prof. Barker is often in the reading room.
About colors .. yes it's supposed you can recognise green from red. Now that you say that I imagine you're referring to someone who cannot recognise, so I'm thinking about labbelling each color button.
if you need help to solve, there are those pictures:

(they are for the italian version, but it's all the same EXCEPT FOR THE ERA BUTTON)
[close]
Spoiler
I can't get past the first one. Are you supposed to pull the lever after the light on the left side lights up? I can't get a second light to illuminate based on the picture
[close]

SHADOW

AprilSkies

hi Shadow,
Spoiler

After getting the first light on, put the ERA-dial on B.C. ('cause Brutus killed Cesar Befor Christ) and then, open the first purple tap and push the yellow lever three times.. you'll see a yellow ball falling into the tap (it's the "lemon drop"). Then CLOSE the first tap (maybe you don't do that) and open the other purple tap. Push again the yellow lever three times.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: AprilSkies on Tue 31/12/2013 18:04:26
hi Shadow,
Spoiler

After getting the first light on, put the ERA-dial on B.C. ('cause Brutus killed Cesar Befor Christ) and then, open the first purple tap and push the yellow lever three times.. you'll see a yellow ball falling into the tap (it's the "lemon drop"). Then CLOSE the first tap (maybe you don't do that) and open the other purple tap. Push again the yellow lever three times.
[close]

I solved it by following the walkthrough. Thanks anyway.

Aside from the time machine, I'm really enjoying this game. I hope there aren't any other sections of the game like that.

SHADOW

AprilSkies

Lol. no worries shadow. no other things like that.
thank you.

TassieDevil

I have still trouble with the time machine.
To start with: I have A.D. and B.C displays! I get the first light after:::
AD, Light down at Row 1 column 1, Row 2 column 2; Switch row 1 column 1 and 3 down; Lever 1 and 3 down.
But after that nothings works :(

AprilSkies

Hi Tessie Devil:
Spoiler

Do you have the rhyme?
if you do not have the rhyme, you have to look for Prof Barker's ghost and find it.

if you've got the rhyme:
1) Put AD in the top left, press the two orange buttons and the two red switches in the center and the two red levers on the left. (see picture A)
2) Put BC in the top left, open the PURPLE valve on the right (furthest to the right) and the yellow lever down three times. Then open the purple valve to the left purple and yellow lever down three times. (see picture B)
3) Put AD Lower the green switches at the center and the green levers to the right (NOT THE VALVES!). Turn the knob on orange sector. (see picture C)
4) Put AD and Turn the knob first on the yellow sector and then on each red sector(see picture D)

[close]

TassieDevil

Hi AprilSkies

Well explained, thank you heaps!

Shadow1000

Spoiler
I have everything but the bait for the marlin. I was thinking to find something gross from the kitchen but no avail.
[close]

Can anyone help?

SHADOW

Tabata

You are on the right track but you need to know what bait exactly is the best.
Spoiler
...  someone with a lot of experience at sea might have heared about it ...
[close]

AprilSkies

Yep! Follow Tabata's tips :D
if you need more help ...
Spoiler
Get a look inside the lighthouse
[close]

Tinytim

I've tried every possible time setting on the clock. What am I missing?
If somebody says they know all the answers, they haven't been asked all the questions.

AprilSkies

Hi TinyTim
Spoiler

Hi there are "second-level-hiddens tips"... :D

To solve the clock puzzle, you have to point the time of the other two clocks there are in the Manor, one in the hall and one upstairs. They are stopped on some times.... the hall one is stopped on
Spoiler
10 minutes past six
[close]
and the second one is stopped on
Spoiler
two o'clock
[close]
. .. so ...
Set the clock on the first time
Spoiler
6:10
[close]
. Press the rectangular button at the bottom left (if you put the right time, it will remain pressed). After that, Set the clock on the second time
Spoiler
2:00
[close]
and press the button at the bottom right.
[close]

Tinytim

Thanks, AprilSkies:smiley:, I didn't realise they were buttons???
Finished, bloody brilliant. Thank you AprilSkies, waiting for the next one.

Shadow1000

Quote from: Tabata on Thu 02/01/2014 08:53:16
You are on the right track but you need to know what bait exactly is the best.
Spoiler
...  someone with a lot of experience at sea might have heared about it ...
[close]

Thank you. I finished the game. I will post my thoughts when I get a chance.

Happy New Year!

SHADOW

AGluva

Hi AprilSkies. Thank you for creating this awesome game. I really love it, top notch art, animation, character interactions, puzzles..Donald is SO funny! Everything is so well done. Really love the Lucas Arts vibe to it. Definitely added to my favorites. I just had a few questions, I assumed the answers were somewhere I just probably overlooked them.
One was already answered though..
Spoiler
Regarding the clock puzzle. I was stuck there too. Thank you, I didn't think to make note of the time the other clocks were stuck on ;)
[close]

Any pointers on
Spoiler
The Balancing scale puzzle?
[close]

That was quite a challenge, I wanted to figure it out on my own if at all possible, but I didn't seem to have anything else to work with to solve it. Did I miss some formula or clue somewhere I'm supposed to follow to get it right??

Also Question re: Delano's room..

Spoiler
Seems just a vague description there for the shapes combination on the shelf. Is there something else that I missed maybe, another clue for what numbers to use in relation to the shapes to unlock the luggage?
[close]

and since you were so clever to add it..
Spoiler
The Mortal Fighting game within a game in the arcade room. ;-D
[close]
So cool! Just curious, IF IT IS possible to win, if so has anyone managed to beat it? What happens if you do?

Thanks again. Great work overall. I'm already looking forward to Donald Dowell's next adventure. ;)

Mandle

Some answers for you:

Balancing scale puzzle:
Spoiler
The roman numerals under the different balls indicate their weights. Put the exact same total weight on each side, using all the balls, to open the door. I have the exact solution written down somewhere if you can't get it ;)
[close]

Delano's Room:
Spoiler
As far as I know the arranged shapes have no use. Possibly they were a hint for the suitcase combo lock. Always meant to ask AprilSkies about that actually...
[close]

Mortal Kombat:
Spoiler
I managed to win it once. If you win it Donald praises how cool video games are, a complete 180 on his remarks about how lame they are when he loses. So yeah, all you gain is that joke, and some satisfaction ;)
[close]

Hope that helps!

AprilSkies

Hi AGluva,
Ok Mandle answered on some questions :D
(Thank you so much Mandle for answering during the time I was not logged in :D

If you need more about the balance puzzle:
Spoiler
on each side of the balance you have to put the same weight and exactely 145 units each side: so, for example put on the left the balls wich are on top of the following roman numbers: 7, 13, 55, 70. Put on the other plate the others balls. :D
[close]

About the CLOCK:
Spoiler

there are "second-level-hiddens tips"... :D

To solve the clock puzzle, you have to point the time of the other two clocks there are in the Manor, one in the hall and one upstairs. They are stopped on some times.... the hall one is stopped on
Spoiler
10 minutes past six
[close]
and the second one is stopped on
Spoiler
two o'clock
[close]
. .. so ...
Set the clock on the first time
Spoiler
6:10
[close]
. Press the rectangular button at the bottom left (if you put the right time, it will remain pressed). After that, Set the clock on the second time
Spoiler
2:00
[close]
and press the button at the bottom right.
[close]

About the luggage puzzle:
Spoiler

most of the peaople solved it just trying. It's easy to solve just trying...
But anyway there's a clue: on the shelf (up on the bed). There are "strange shaped object" ... you can see.. they indicate ... 1 - 2 - 3.
[close]

Hope it helps and thank you for your kind commnets

AGluva

Hello and thank you both for the tips..;)

Quote from: AprilSkies on Tue 25/02/2014 09:57:27

If you need more about the balance puzzle:
Spoiler
on each side of the balance you have to put the same weight and exactely 145 units each side: so, for example put on the left the balls wich are on top of the following roman numbers: 7, 13, 55, 70. Put on the other plate the others balls. :D
[close]

Thanks, I understood the goal of the puzzle, I just had a little trouble with the calculating..

Spoiler
Since I'm not very familiar with Roman numerals and don't recall any indication of how many (145?) units each side should equal, after the better part of an hour randomly clicking weights to no avail I had to peek at the walkthrough..just needed a little nudge in the right direction.
[close]

Then it seems I used up my limit of saved game slots on much of the latter part of the game (after the puzzles were solved) so I couldn't give them another shot from scratch. Anyway I've since learned it's a good idea to reserve a save slot BEFORE attempting puzzles from now on. 

About the luggage puzzle:
Spoiler

most of the peaople solved it just trying. It's easy to solve just trying...
But anyway there's a clue: on the shelf (up on the bed). There are "strange shaped object" ... you can see.. they indicate ... 1 - 2 - 3.
[close]

Ah Yes, I see now! ;-)

Spoiler
Of course, the number of shapes in each pile.."peculiar knick knacks oddly ordered" could be interpreted as " strange 'combination' of knick knacks" Huh, sometimes the easiest clues are right there in front of you the whole time. Guess I was distracted with everything else strewn about the room.
[close]

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 24/02/2014 23:43:10

Mortal Kombat:
Spoiler
I managed to win it once. If you win it Donald praises how cool video games are, a complete 180 on his remarks about how lame they are when he loses. So yeah, all you gain is that joke, and some satisfaction ;)
[close]

Thanks mandle, so good to know he DOES have a fighting chance. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk