Heroine's Quest - The Herald Of Ragnarok - Now available on Steam!

Started by Corby, Thu 26/12/2013 00:09:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Frodo

Could you make it available on your own site, so we're not forced to use steam to play it?  :confused:

m0ds

Frodo, it can be found on their own site drm-free: http://www.crystalshard.net/hq.htm ...or maybe not anymore?

or from Screen 7 (direct link to download)

:)

(updated June 2014 to v1.2.1)

Frodo

Crimson Wizard

I want to report two minor bugs (steam version 1.2):
1. At the city gates there's character scaling issue: it seems like the top/bottom scaling levels are swapped. One thing certain: when you approach the gates walking up, the character suddenly increases in size.
2. Ctrl+D combination works and displays some debug info.

E: More: in adventurer's guild when I look at the lowest panel (under wolves head) Hervor sais that "Lithrasir brought it here before Holt became frozen", but there's no explanation on what that thing is, and I can't figure it by myself. :-\

Radiant

Thanks. Control-D shows the time of day, that is intentional. I'll look into the other issues you mention.

Radiant

If you've enjoyed Heroine's Quest and/or our earlier games, please support our Patreon campaign to help us create more quality games!

Windenwart

I have downloaded and installed Heroine's Quest, but I can't start it!

Here is the link I get it from:
http://www.screen7.co.uk/games/download/HeroinesQuest1.2.1_Setup.exe

And this is the error message I get:
Script link failed: Runtime error: unresolved import 'AGSteam.SetAchievementAchieved^1'

Thanks for solving!

PS: I hope there is no need to install that lousy Steam Client to play that DRM-free game... I'm an Adventure-Lover, but a Steam-Hater. I think GOG is a better place for games like that.

m0ds

Oh...odd. What OS do you have?

Agreed it's probably best not to have steam code in the drm free copy, but that said - it works and loads fine for me on XP sp3 (and presumably others too) from that link you posted. So why would your PC have different results? That said I do have Steam installed (but not loaded or anything when I load the drm-free copy of HQ) Hm!

Cassiebsg

I'm on Win7 Home Premium, no problem running it here either. And I have no Steam what so ever.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Windenwart on Sat 12/07/2014 13:44:48
And this is the error message I get:
Script link failed: Runtime error: unresolved import 'AGSteam.SetAchievementAchieved^1'
IIRC this might mean that game is looking for AGSSteam plugin, but cannot find one. Do you provide any stub plugin for non-steam version? (this question is for game authors)

Windenwart

Quote from: Mods on Sun 13/07/2014 13:26:18
Oh...odd. What OS do you have?
I use a fully patched Windows XP on a virtual machine (Parallels Desktop) on Mac OS X.
I have some AGS games for Windows installed (The Samaritan Paradox i.e.), without problems.

m0ds

Hm okay ty. Samaritan won't have any Steam code in it if you're talking about the drm-free copy. But that's not to say the version of Heroine's Quest doesn't.

Can you confirm your game folder (usually in program files) has AGSteam.dll and steam_api.dll in it? I just tried removing them and then I get the same error you originally reported.

If not, download from the link again/re-install, both those files should be there. If they're not being installed into that folder let me know (fairly positive they should be). Also slim chance (if they ARE in the games folder) the folder itself being "Read only" might affect it so may want to try turning that on and off.

Windenwart

Quote from: Mods on Mon 14/07/2014 04:56:23
Can you confirm your game folder (usually in program files) has AGSteam.dll and steam_api.dll in it? I just tried removing them and then I get the same error you originally reported.
I have removed AGSteam.dll and steam_api.dll. Same error message after starting Heroine's Quest.exe....

m0ds

Huh? No my point was they need to be IN the folder, not removed from it! If those files ARE in the folder and it still doesn't work, well, you have something funky going on... not sure what to suggest then beyond - try it another machine? To see if it still happens.

Radiant

It is possible that you have a DLL conflict: that is, somewhere on your computer you have an earlier version of AGSteam.dll, and AGS tries to read that one instead of the more recent one (which should be in your Heroine's Quest folder). Can you run a search on your computer for files named AGSteam.dll, and see what it turns up? The dll you need should be dated April 6th, 2014; earlier versions do not contain the achievement functions.

andersenron

I solved the problem thanks to the last post
My XP SP3 computer returned the exact same error with the steam dl
I simply installed the AGS editor dated 9/2/2014 and then tried running the game again
Worked perfect

eMTe

Hello.

I have the same problem with agsteam.dll.

Only the "script link failed" message is displayed at the very end of installation.

I did search fo agsteam.dll files, but the only one I have is in Heroine's folder.

I am using Windowx XP SP3. I've downloaded the game from two official sources Crystal Shard lists on its website. Except for Steam one, as one has to have steam account to download games.

Any solution?

arj0n

@eMTe:
Here's a zip containing AGSteam.dll + steam_api.dll, taken from my copy of Heroines Quest v1.2.4, the official up-to-date Steam version.
Both dll files should be in the folder containing also 'Heroine's Quest.exe'.

eMTe

Hmmm... I don't really understand what we're aiming at here. You have sent me (thank you for effort!) two files that I already have in the folder. Should I replace both? Done. Doesn't work.

Why does the game run steam client at all, btw? If it's officially free. Isn't there some bypass of this message?

m0ds

Price doesn't determine it... Steam copies include achievements, at the least, which has to utilize agsteam.dll* .. Therefore developers typically have a build that's separate from the main or "DRM-free" version. This is the same for any game on Steam made in AGS that has to in some way, utilize something the Steam client does. There's additional code in the build. Of course, it's quite possible to put the game up sans Steam code, but that isn't the case here, nor with many AGS games that have a build on Steam.

The flip side of course, is whether someone is distributing the Steam-code version as their main/DRM-free version. It can and generally will work, but that's still a bit of a distribution boo-boo. It's best to keep the steam code and files out of that copy. That said, it's an understandable oversight even I've made it in the past. You won't find many discussions on the boards about it, and it's only in recent years I've explicitly split my builds up to the 2 forms, but from here on, I'd always say it's best to keep your Steam version for Steam and leave the files and code out for your internet download version.

So, you mention having it from Crystal Shard's website but still have an issue? It sounds like Radiant perhaps has up the Steam build as his DRM-free version. I'm not sure what the copy on my site has (screen7.uk > free) version 1.2.1, maybe Radiant knows about this error or at least, can point you to a build which doesn't have Steam code or the dll in it (and me please!!).

* I wonder, is this meant to mean "AGS Team" or "AGS Steam" (with spelling error) ? or "AG Steam" ? It's been bugging me for years :P

All of that said, agsteam.dll isn't part of the installation. It is utilized when you run the game. So if you're having this issue during installation itself, it might be something else entirely? If it seems to mostly install, it's often worth trying the "Verify Integrity Of Game Files" in properties > local files in Steam, which should detect an inconsistent installation and try to re-acquire the problem file(s). Though it sounds like you're trying to play it without Steam, so outside of Steam, it could be an issue down to whomever created an installation file for it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk