Heroine's Quest - The Herald Of Ragnarok - Now available on Steam!

Started by Corby, Thu 26/12/2013 00:09:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: eMTe on Sat 29/07/2017 21:19:18
I have the same problem with agsteam.dll.

Only the "script link failed" message is displayed at the very end of installation.

Quote from: Screen 7 on Sun 30/07/2017 12:36:53
All of that said, agsteam.dll isn't part of the installation. It is utilized when you run the game. So if you're having this issue during installation itself, it might be something else entirely?

"Script link failed" is a well known AGS error, displayed when game cannot load up plugin. It usually also mentions which plugin function it failed to link to, which may be important to know if the game uses more than one plugin.

If it is definitely related to agssteam.dll, there was already a discussion about it failing to load here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=44712.msg636548630#msg636548630
Usually the issue seems to be related to missing Windows components, that are required for DLL to load up.
Several posts down that thread plugin's developer posted an updated version of plugin that supposedly works better and has less requirements.

m0ds

Cool. Sounds like the Steam build is the drm-free build also, then. This problem is only going to repeat, the solution, rather than having each individual find and sort out these problem files, is just not distribute them in the first place ;)

Radiant

Quote from: eMTe on Sat 29/07/2017 21:19:18
Hello.

I have the same problem with agsteam.dll.

What version of Heroine's Quest are you playing?

eMTe

I have downloaded the version provided by Frodo (Screen 7 website). The only change is that error message doesn't appear at the end of installation, only when I try to run the game.

Also, both agsteam and steam_api dlls are present, so I don't think it's Steam-free version.

Anyway, what do I do now?

eMTe

I've downloaded and installed C++ 2015 and RC3 update Crimson Wizard links to. I get the same error message.

Dave Gilbert in further posts says that this solution had worked for some people and for some hadn't.

The topic you link to becomes all the more confusing later, because monkey says about windows DLL downloads which "avoid the need for any particular C++ runtime to be installed". So the problem may not be C++-related after all?

If this is the wrong topic for this discussion, please point me to correct one (the one from link maybe?), I don't intend to spam in an otherwise general Heroine's Quest topic.

I won't be playing HQ very soon, of this I am sure though. :(

The funny thing is, I remember downloading the game right when it was first released, installing it and running for a while. I had no time to play it though and removed it from hd. But I do remember it had worked.

Crimson Wizard

I will avoid discussing C++ runtime here, that would add to general confusion.

Radiant, I think you may need to find out which of the newest dlls to use with your game, from the monkey0506's folder he referenced in his post (https://bitbucket.org/monkey0506/ags2clientstub/downloads/). I cannot give any advices here because I do not know how many of these are required for HQ. Also I never tested any of these myself.

Snarky

The discussion about problems with Steam integration in AGS games more generally (technical and philosophical), and how to avoid them has been split off here.

Radiant

Quote from: eMTe on Sun 30/07/2017 22:25:28
The funny thing is, I remember downloading the game right when it was first released, installing it and running for a while. I had no time to play it though and removed it from hd. But I do remember it had worked.
So eMTe, could you please download this test build and see if it runs for you? This doesn't include music or speech, but you can copy *.vox from your earlier build if you want. This is just to test if it fixes the "script link failed" error. Thanks!

http://crystalshard.net/test/Testbuild.zip

Laureliel

I've had the same problem (Script link failed: Runtime error: unresolved import 'AGSteam.SetAchievementAchieved^1'), found this forum, and tried the Testbuild.
The result, when trying to start Heroine's Quest from the Testbuild folder, is:
---------------------------
Illegal exception
An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x100011BC ; program pointer is -23, ACI version 3.3.0.1162, gtags (0,0)

AGS cannot continue, this exception was fatal. Please note down the numbers above, remember what you were doing at the time and post the details on the AGS Technical Forum.

Most versions of Windows allow you to press Ctrl+C now to copy this entire message to the clipboard for easy reporting.

An error file CrashInfo.dmp has been created. You may be asked to upload this file when reporting this problem on the AGS Forums. (code 0)
OK   

The system is Windows XP. 
Do you have any advice for me? (Except "get a newer computer", please.)

Radiant

Well, we stopped looking into this because Emte was the only person experiencing this issue and he hasn't been on the forums for almost half a year now. The current answer is that we do not officially support Windows XP. I'll pass your error message along to Monkey0506, he may be able to figure something out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk