The Art Of Dying

Started by nihilyst, Thu 26/12/2013 23:44:19

Previous topic - Next topic

nihilyst

I'm feeling weird to ask for a hint in a jump and run, but ... in stage "Hell", there is this scene:

I JUST CAN'T make the jump to the upper edge. I've tried it a thousand times on and off. It seems too short to reach, regardless of the way I try it. Is there some kind of trick to it?

Thanks! :)

Khris

You can slide off a platform, then jump from mid-air. Maybe that'll help?

nihilyst

I've tried that too, but it seems that you when you jump from mid-air, you don't get the needed height. At least, I don't get the needed height ;D

DoorKnobHandle

That is the trickiest jump in the game! What you can do to practice it is to go into the editor and recreate that scene (count the tiles to get the distances right). In general, you absolutely need to dash into double jump. The key is, of course, timing the key combo right. So you hold down and right, then hit jump to initiate the dash, hit jump again immediately to start the first jump. But don't hit jump a third time right away, because now you need to wait until you're at the apex of your single jump, only then hit jump again to maximize your jump length. It's tricky at first but once you've done it a couple times it really becomes second nature.

So, again, hold down and right, hit JUMP JUMP WAIT JUMP! Also don't let go of the right direction key at any point during the jump, some of my testers did that initially! :)

Hope this helps, thanks for playing my game and let me know if that made it clear please!

nihilyst

Okay, that worked, but it needed a bit of practice. Thanks. Now I'm stuck on the next stage. The part with the 'staircase' and the guns on each step is just cruel :P

selmiak

It took me way to long to find out I can just stand on that icey platform without getting hit by anything ;)

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: nihilyst on Sat 28/12/2013 12:36:34
Okay, that worked, but it needed a bit of practice. Thanks. Now I'm stuck on the next stage. The part with the 'staircase' and the guns on each step is just cruel :P

Glad you beat that part! The trick to getting through the staircase is to safe the shield for that part. Without shield, while it's possible to survive the staircase (even on hard mode), it's extremely hard. With shield, you want to rush up there as quickly as possible! You will get hit but you get 2 seconds of invulnerability. Use that! :)

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 28/12/2013 20:59:18
It took me way to long to find out I can just stand on that icey platform without getting hit by anything ;)

Hahaha, see, it's not THAT bad! :)

nihilyst

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Sun 29/12/2013 02:09:20
Glad you beat that part! The trick to getting through the staircase is to safe the shield for that part. Without shield, while it's possible to survive the staircase (even on hard mode), it's extremely hard. With shield, you want to rush up there as quickly as possible! You will get hit but you get 2 seconds of invulnerability. Use that! :)

Easier said than done ^^ But I'll try it, thanks :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk