AGS Awards 2013! - Wieners (and winners)

Started by , Tue 31/12/2013 22:58:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Yeppoh

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 06/01/2014 22:03:04
If the demo was released in 2013, it can compete for the Best Demo Award in 2013.  I may be missing something in your question if that's not the answer.

Thanks. That makes it clear.

Abisso

Quote from: AprilSkies on Tue 07/01/2014 15:54:25
Quote from: Abisso on Mon 06/01/2014 22:46:47
I think the "release date" should be the "true" one and only release date in whatever language that is. Otherwise any addition to the game might be considered as a new release date, and this doesn't make any sense at all. Plus, it would introduce even more confusion.

Thank you Abisso. It's reasonable.
The only problem is that: if a game is released in Spanish language (only an example) in 2014 and it will be locazided to english in 2015, he should in 2014 Awards ... but how can player evaluate it? Only Spnaish player can. The rest of the world will paly it in 2015, in english. But it was released in 2014.
Another problem: the came cannot be putted in the "complete announcement section" or in DB only if it is in spanish, if i remembere rules.

@Grim: The Cat lady was released in Italian Language in 2013 .. maybe that's the reason

I think we have to face the fact English is as close an "international" language as any will ever be. So unless Esperanto, Interlingua or, most likely, Klingon become the new standards, English should be the main focus when choosing a language for a game.
My approach is probably too extreme, as I've released Forge: Chapter One just in English, though it isn't my main language. But I believe it's highly recommended to release a game with at least the "Mother language + English" combo from the very beginning.

Also, according to the Completed Game Announcements rules:
Quote4. If your game is in a language other than English, please note this in the thread title (ie. Game Title - Spanish Language).

which indirectly confirms that is allowed to post a non-English game in that thread.

Anyway, I'm not the one in charge of deciding which criteria has to be used for non-English games, in relation to the eligibility for the Awards. If bicilotti says it's ok, then it's ok. But I'd recommend elucidating this possible source of debate in a clear way in the new rules for the 2014 Awards.

Speaking of Demos, I still don't understand if a Complete Game and its Demo can participate in two different editions of the Awards, and if a Demo is eligible for all the awards or just for the "Best Demo".
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

AprilSkies

Quote from: Babar on Tue 07/01/2014 16:02:09
There is no rule, as far as I know, that you cannot post your game in the Completed Games Announcement section, or in the games DB if it is only a non-english language. There are several games in the DB and the forums that are non-english only.

Yep, you're right! I was wrong. I checked (As Abisso just pointed).
So it's all clear for me.
Thank you.

@Abisso: Maybe you're right: simply just release in english from the very beginning.

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Snarky

If the choice is between releasing your game in English or in... let's say Lithuanian, then it's probably smarter to go with the one that is spoken across the world. But if it's a choice between releasing your game in Lithuanian and not releasing your game at all (for example because you speak hardly any English), then it's a different matter.

Personally I think it would be OK for a game to be allowed to compete in the year it gets an English translation, even if it had been released previously, similar to the way we already established that games can compete for "Best Voice Work" the year they get a voice pack (even if the game itself was released in a previous year). I would only exclude games that have already been nominated for anything in previous years, in case by some miracle a non-English game manages to get nominated without an English translation.

bicilotti

I just saw a post in the FYC thread to promote a worthy game which could have been missed as the author hasn't been around lately.
Do you think there are more of these games? Go on and tell us in the For your Consideration thread too!

You will help fellow players who are frantically going through game after game (because you are frantically going through game after game, right? Right?)

Volcan

Quote from: bicilotti on Fri 10/01/2014 13:19:07
I just saw a post in the FYC thread to promote a worthy game which could have been missed as the author hasn't been around lately.
Do you think there are more of these games? Go on and tell us in the For your Consideration thread too!

You will help fellow players who are frantically going through game after game (because you are frantically going through game after game, right? Right?)

Did you ask to the authors first? Few authors might not like to compete.

Also, I noted both games Adventure Island and Educating Adventures of Girl and Rabbit
have no link from database. It would be great if they add those links to follow the rules.

bicilotti

Quote from: Volcan on Fri 10/01/2014 13:32:44

Common sense suggests to use that option when the author hasn't been around lately.

Also, I noted both games Adventure Island and Educating Adventures of Girl and Rabbit have no link from database. It would be great if they add those links to follow the rules.

There is a rule to add the game to the DB, but rereading my FYC post, there is no requirement to provide a link to the DB (even though it always nice to have a link to the DB).

Volcan

Quote from: bicilotti on Fri 10/01/2014 14:08:18
Quote from: Volcan on Fri 10/01/2014 13:32:44

Common sense suggests to use that option when the author hasn't been around lately.

Also, I noted both games Adventure Island and Educating Adventures of Girl and Rabbit have no link from database. It would be great if they add those links to follow the rules.

There is a rule to add the game to the DB, but rereading my FYC post, there is no requirement to provide a link to the DB (even though it always nice to have a link to the DB).

Ok. The games need to be in the database but not need to link to them.

Thank you to clarify. I was confusing.

bicilotti

Nomination phase will start tonight at 00:00 (and will last two weeks). Thanks to AGA for setting this up!

Grim

I have to say this "for your consideration" thread is a great way to catch up on what you've missed during the year. I've played three games from that list already and loving it;)

Can't way to start nominating! (by then I'll probably try most of the contenders)

cat

There are still so many games I want to play before nominating - guess I have to hurry up a bit!

Radiant

AGA

selmiak

QuoteDon't worry, if you make a mistake you'll be able to keep nominating again up until the deadline!
So can I submit partially and fill in the blanks later or do I have to fill in everything again when opening the page again?

KodiakBehr

Is there no best music category?  Because WHY AM I WORKING ON A VIDEO GAME ADAPTATION OF PINK FLOYD'S THE WALL?

dactylopus

Quote from: KodiakBehr on Thu 16/01/2014 03:29:08
Is there no best music category?  Because WHY AM I WORKING ON A VIDEO GAME ADAPTATION OF PINK FLOYD'S THE WALL?
Good question, because that was one category I didn't expect to go away!  I would consider it at least as important as SFX and VO.

(Also, that would be an interesting game.)

Ghost

Quote from: cat on Wed 15/01/2014 15:55:04
There are still so many games I want to play before nominating - guess I have to hurry up a bit!
Same here, there are some gems in that list that I never got around to playing... but it's the perfect excuse to play videogames! Imagine!

Ghost : "Boss, I need to call sick."
Boss : "What? For how long?"
Ghost : "Er... until I have played all those AGS games here on my list!"
Boss : "Videogames! For fun??????"
Ghost : "No! To be able to nominate them fairly!"
Boss : "Ah fair enough, okay then."
(laugh)

dactylopus

Quote from: dactylopus on Thu 16/01/2014 04:19:46
Quote from: KodiakBehr on Thu 16/01/2014 03:29:08
Good question, because that was one category I didn't expect to go away!  I would consider it at least as important as SFX and VO.

(Also, that would be an interesting game.)
Looks like an oversight, actually, since it's listed here.

bicilotti

Quote from: dactylopus on Thu 16/01/2014 04:28:33
Looks like an oversight, actually, since it's listed here.

It is indeed, thanks for spotting!
Will notify AGA, stay tuned (har har the pun).

AGA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk