Rumpus Award, nomination time!

Started by Andail, Fri 10/01/2014 12:31:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Andail

Ok, since the support for introducing the Rumpus Award was rather overwhelming (it beat the nay-side with at least a thousand percent) I hereby announce the nomination phase started.

1. Best newbie of the year
Since all oldies eventually develop dementia and start leaving their houses without pants, every community needs fresh, warm blood on a regular basis. Who joined in 2013 and was just a total blast?

2. Unintentionally funniest post
Laughing at somebody beats laughing with somebody any day of the week. Who did we laugh at the most remorselessly last year?

3. Best return of an oldie
Sooner or later the veterans return to the flock, with strange tales of far away places and failed attempts at leading a healthy, outdoor life.

Who's return did you appreciate the most?

4. Most work put into something that passed largely unnoticed
Some people find elegant ways to put virtually no efforts into creating something that millions of people marvel at for aeons, like the architect who drew the pyramids, or the guys who nicked that catapult game and suddenly "invented" Angry birds. But some people are the exact opposite - they pour endless hours into obscure projects that at best end up puzzling, at worst completely unseen.

Who was this sucker last year?

5. Most glaring violation of a forum rule
Following the rules is a total drag - it requires you to spend several seconds, minutes even, actually reading a text, as if there were any gaps in your calender for such bullshit, not to mention how it's discriminating against illiterates.

So, which young rebel stuck it to the man most glaringly last year?

6. Most annoyingly slow-walking game character
So you load up the game, and the splash screen and the first background and the music and just everything looks so bloody good, and you're really psyched to get started and then woooooah-that's-so-slow-my-brain-just-spontaneously-went-into-hibernation.

And then you go "at least I hope I can skip to the exits!" and then "nope, I'm just gonna sit here and watch while my protagonist placidly strolls to the door on the opposite wall of this 800 pixel corridor while my mom is shouting that dinner's ready and also I have to pee."

Know this feeling? If so, what game caused it?

7. Most hype in relation to actual result
It takes great skill to create a buzz. Some people seem to get entire social networks all worked up and giddy just by scratching their back. Running a marketing campaign is an art, but most of us fail so much the only virality we generate is when we end up with the flu from all the hassle.

However, what some of these marketing wizards forget is that somewhere down the road there needs to be an actual product, which should live up to all the expectations. Who was this evil wiz-kid of hyping last year?

8. Most uncalled for usage of high resolution
High-res beats low-res becasue it's high-res. They wouldn't build camera-phones with billions of pixles if those pixels weren't doing any damn good, right? It's like saying that a bowl with lots of sweets isn't better than a bowl with just a few sweets.

Who failed to make good use of a high resolution the most laughably in 2013?

LET'S BEGIN THE NOMINATIONS!!4

Adeel

Hmm, the awards are very interesting. I'll have to ponder over them.  As for award no. 2, in my mind: Ponch and selmiak are the two tough competitors for this award. Ponch? selmiak? Ponch? Selmaik? Selmiak? Ponch? Polmiak? Sench? :undecided:

Damn, I'm really going to have a tough time deciding between these two...

E: By all means, I don't intend to be rude. I really Selmaik's and Ponch's posting style and laugh with my heart because of the clever words they both choose. Never, on any occasion, I felt anything bad about anyone or both of them. Keep it up, Ponmiak! :smiley:

Ponch

Best Return: MillsJRoss
Best Use Of Smilies: Tabata
Most Likely To Succeed: Ben304
Most Awaited Game: That Thing Snake Was Working On
Most Violations Of Forum Rules: Icey, of course
Unintentionally Funniest Post: Again, Icey
Best Newbie: Is there a list? I still think of Old School Wolf as new, and he's been around a few years. :embarrassed:
Most Work Put Into Something That Deserved More Attention: Ancient Aliens - The Roots Of Sound
Most Obnoxious Trophy Bar: Ponch :wink:
Best Use of RON: Reality Check

You'll have to excuse me if I accidentally made a few new categories. I'm more in the mood for rumpus that "P3N1S". Rumpus should be fun! :cheesy:

dactylopus

A few nominations:

1. Best newbie of the year
I nominate jwalt.

2. Unintentionally funniest post
I nominate DBoyWheeler.

5. Most glaring violation of a forum rule
One could say Icey, but one could also say Icey's trolls.

7. Most hype in relation to actual result
This thread on AGS Kart was started in 2012, but got a resurgence in 2013 when Calin Leafshade and Ryan Timothy were trying to tackle the issue.  Lots of hype, but no results, so I nominate both.

kconan

1. Best newbie of the year: jwalt

2. Unintentionally funniest post: DBoyWheeler's "cuties"

3. Best return of an oldie: Ghost (though late 2012, 2013 was return year)

4. Most work put into something that passed largely unnoticed: Bertha's Butt Boogie

5. Most glaring violation of a forum rule: This post by TalyTurow: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=48481.0

6. Most annoyingly slow-walking game character: OSD in OSD Moby GearWhaleDX (oh wait...its a game mechanic!)

7. Most hype in relation to actual result: Icey and his perpetual thread about working for Nintendo, the 50 projects, DLCs, etc...

Hmmm...Rumpus Award trophies would be fun.

Ponch

Jwalt is a newbie? Then I nominate him! He has an entire thread dedicated to my avatar! He's the greatest newbie EV4R!! ;-D

dactylopus

Quote from: kconan on Tue 14/01/2014 12:34:25
5. Most glaring violation of a forum rule: This post by TalyTurow: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=48481.0
I had forgotten.  This is definitely it.

jwalt

I am flattered that my name is showing up. Still, a quick check of a couple of members that have released games shows there are better candidates. San.Daniele signed on in 2013, and made Casper. Myinah signed on in 2013 and made Witchy Woo. Adeel signed on in 2013 and played a part in a Mags entry, as well. It is very likely that there are more Noobies with game credits. All I've done is clutter up the forum with stuff that any reasonable "artist" would have taken out to burn and bury in their garden. I think game production/participation should play a part in the nominations; it is why we're all here. If I have a vote, I'd suggest Adeel, for a number of reasons.

kconan

Stow it new meat! :-D  Also, your case for winning was only strengthened by that humble post.

Ponch

Adeel is also a newbie? He should also be nominated! And someone should make a list of the new guys! I vote we make one of the newbies do it! :wink:

Ghost

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 14/01/2014 16:32:39
I vote we make one of the newbies do it! :wink:

While they are at it, we need coffee and someone should provide muffins too.

Adeel

1. Best newbies of the year:

*jwalt for his continuous and tireless dedication to teach himself about 3d rendering and animations,

*san.daniele for making an excellent game with unique graphics,

*Myinah for developing the MAGS Winning "Witchy Woo" and writing its story excellently.

There are many more but I can't remember anyone else... :-[

2. Unintentionally funniest post: DBoyWheeler's beauties
Spoiler
I apologize, I misunderstood this category before. But now, I'm all clear.
[close]
4. Most work put into something that passed largely unnoticed: Donald Dowell and the Ghost of Barker Manor

5. Most glaring violation of a forum rule: This thread by TalyTurow and also, this post of mine. I were being a total troll, then. :-D

And since Andail didn't specifically mention that you've to nominate only one person. Therefore, I'm going to bend the rules and nominate several persons. :=

Stupot

For Your Consideration:

Least Downloaded AGS Game Of The Year Tile Puzzle, by Stupot

Adeel

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 19/01/2014 19:15:28
For Your Consideration:

Least Downloaded AGS Game Of The Year Tile Puzzle, by Stupot

I'm shocked! 8-0 People, y u no download this game? ???

DBoyWheeler

Uh, yeah, thanks for the nomination... I guess.  :P (roll)

miguel

Thanks Ponch.:wink:

I will now leave you with a phrase to really think about:
Spoiler
Potbelly Razor hates my guts...
[close]

Now, while impersonating Charles Bronson, say it loud and clear. Repeat until happiness.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk