Telltale + Gearbox = Borderlands 3

Started by Ghost, Wed 22/01/2014 17:07:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

Just found this little article here http://kotaku.com/new-borderlands-game-coming-from-telltale-makers-of-th-1478745808.

So... a randomized FPS gets the Telltale treatment. I am very exited- I really like the setting of the Borderlands games and think that one could easily inject some story into them!

Discuss!

Grim

I played both Borderlands games and didn't like them much. Didn't finish either of them.

I do love Telltale, though, so there is a chance it might be good this time.

Anian

It was announced actually a while ago, on VGX or something I think.
It's not what Borderlands is about, just kind of seems wrong. I actually like Borderlands games and the humor in them (though a lot of people don't) and I think this just might not work because more than half of the stuff people find fun in Borderlands won't be in a TTG treatment.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Armageddon

I played both Borderlands and didn't like them or finish them either. And I haven't liked Telltale's stuff in awhile. This seems like a bit of a cash grab to me, especially since every character in the Borderlands games were obnoxious as hell. Gearbox just got lucky with the art style it seems since DNF and Alien: Colonial Marines were pretty terrible.

Grim

Obnoxious is the exact word for it, I agree with Armageddon. It's all great with being a badass in a game, but not really the Borderlands kind of badass. They just seemed unnecessarily rude and half-brained.

Ghost

Well, to add to my first post, for me it's almost the other way around.

Apart from The Walking Dead I didn't like the TellTale games very much. Tales of Monkey Island was especially bad in my opinion; Sam&Max did not convince me either. I am aware that I have retro glasses in that respect though- I don't think any MI game will ever "beat" Monkey Island2 for me. Walking Dead convinced me that TellTale can do good games though.

Borderlands, both 1 and 2, reminded me of Diablo 2. Fun games with a background lore that never got told. It's understandable though; they are shooters, and fun shooters at that. But there is a nice visual style and there are hints of established background, and often I felt disappointed to never get told very much of it.

So yeah, I did love BL2. I still love it. It's a fun game, not perfect but decidedly over the top, and it has potential. I can see it working in the way of a "modern world western"- heck, something like BraveStarr. If TellTale can come up with a nice plot and add some nods to the original characters, I'm all for that.

Quote from: Armageddon on Wed 22/01/2014 20:55:08
DNF and Alien: Colonial Marines were pretty terrible.
Agreed. But I hated Enter the Gecko and still bought Tomb Raider Legend. (laugh)

waheela

Yeah, I'm actually intrigued by this. I think Telltale Games could really come up with something interesting. I agree, the Borderlands games did have some problems. I think I'm not alone when I say that Claptrap was probably one of the most hideously obnoxious game characters ever. That being said, I enjoyed the Borderlands series for what they were: Loot-based games. Thanks for sharing, Ghost!

Ponch

I like the world of Borderlands and I hope TellTale delivers a good game. The Walking Dead series and their Sam and Max games were very fun, so I've got my fingers crossed for this one. :cool:

Eric

I've also recently enjoyed the first chapter of The Wolf Among Us, which I got my Fables-reading wife for Christmas.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk