AGS 3.3.x/3.4.0.0 Developer Discussion

Started by Gurok, Sun 09/02/2014 08:45:13

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

The .user file was not, in fact, my idea. 8-) It was implemented by CJ around AGS 3.0.2:

Quote from: Pumaman
Quote from: monkey_05_06Edit: BTW Chris, what is this Game.agf.user file that seems to have cropped up?

It's for storing any settings that are specific to you (the user of the AGS Editor) and not game settings.
At the moment it's only used to store source control information, but in future it might also contain which windows you had open when you closed the editor, etc.

Based on this, I would say it makes sense to keep this type of info in that file (since it's not really project data).

Gurok

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Tue 28/10/2014 23:33:26
The .user file was not, in fact, my idea. 8-) It was implemented by CJ around AGS 3.0.2:

Quote from: Pumaman
Quote from: monkey_05_06Edit: BTW Chris, what is this Game.agf.user file that seems to have cropped up?

It's for storing any settings that are specific to you (the user of the AGS Editor) and not game settings.
At the moment it's only used to store source control information, but in future it might also contain which windows you had open when you closed the editor, etc.

Based on this, I would say it makes sense to keep this type of info in that file (since it's not really project data).

Oh fantastic. Thanks, Monkey.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

BigMc

Mhh so now there are tags called v.3.4.0.0 and v.3.4.0.1 in the development branch. That's super confusing. What will be the version of the next stable release?

If there are no version numbers reserved for development releases as in my suggestion then a version like 3.4.0.0 sounds like a stable release and all development versions before that can only be called 3.4.0.0-alpha1, 3.4.0.0-alpha2, 3.4.0.0-beta1 etc. Remember that version numbers should increase so you can't go back from 3.4.0.1-alpha1 to 3.4.0.0.

Also the tags don't have an "alpha" so they look like stable releases.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: BigMc on Fri 31/10/2014 21:44:45
Mhh so now there are tags called v.3.4.0.0 and v.3.4.0.1 in the development branch. That's super confusing. What will be the version of the next stable release?
It will be 3.4.0.something.

Quote from: BigMc on Fri 31/10/2014 21:44:45
Also the tags don't have an "alpha" so they look like stable releases.
Okay, I'll add alpha to them.

Gurok

What's Release_MD in the build configuration list for the editor?
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Gurok on Sat 01/11/2014 14:45:49
What's Release_MD in the build configuration list for the editor?
It uses /MD compilation flag for Common and Compiler static libraries, which tells them to link runtime C++ library dynamically, as opposed to /MT which links them statically.
I had to change to /MD after we started to use STL, otherwise Common.lib caused linker errors when linking to AGS.Native.
/MT is still used for the engine.

BigMc

Now the tags are:

3.4.0.0-alpha1
3.4.0.1-alpha2

You can get rid of either of the last two numbers. Either

3.4.0.0-alpha
3.4.0.1-alpha

or

3.4.0-alpha1
3.4.0-alpha2

would be fine. Or am I missing something? I like the last variant better.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: BigMc on Sun 02/11/2014 07:51:51
Now the tags are:

3.4.0.0-alpha1
3.4.0.1-alpha2

You can get rid of either of the last two numbers. Either

3.4.0.0-alpha
3.4.0.1-alpha

or

3.4.0-alpha1
3.4.0-alpha2

would be fine. Or am I missing something? I like the last variant better.

The last number defines the consequent index of release. So it may be:
3.4.0.1-alpha
3.4.0.2-alpha
3.4.0.10-alpha
3.4.0.11-beta
3.4.0.25-rc
3.4.0.26-final
3.4.0.27-hotfix

Having all 4 numbers would be easier for me to understand its position in the history. So I'd rather keep it.

BigMc

Ok but I thought we wanted to get rid of the final and hotfix suffices. So no suffix would correspond to a stable release.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: BigMc on Sun 02/11/2014 14:11:55
Ok but I thought we wanted to get rid of the final and hotfix suffices. So no suffix would correspond to a stable release.
IIRC the problem I was addressing was that I was naming releases with suffixes only (e.g. 3.3.0-hotfix1, 3.3.0-hotfix2), instead of increasing visible version number.
As I see this, the numbers define unique index of the version, while suffix is an auxiliary description.

BigMc

Ok I'll keep quiet as long as the versions are strictly increasing. :) I find this scheme much more weird than what I proposed though. :-D

monkey0506

Just saw that my pull request for building Linux got approved. :-D

Is there any specific timeframe as to when the next alpha/beta version is expected? I know there's been some pretty significant changes since 3.4.0.1, so it would be good to have an "official" build for people to test out these new features. ;-D

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Mon 10/11/2014 23:33:27
Is there any specific timeframe as to when the next alpha/beta version is expected? I know there's been some pretty significant changes since 3.4.0.1, so it would be good to have an "official" build for people to test out these new features. ;-D
No, no specific timeframe, I am rather using "weight" of accumulated changes as a reference. And yes, I was going to make a new build, maybe in several hours.

Crimson Wizard

Say, how do you make the Linux folder for the editor? What it consists of? Are there any specifications?
How do I build the linux binaries for 32-bit and 64-bit? Maybe some instruction exists?

Can I take it from this archive, or linux binaries must be rebuilt anew?

BigMc

It's built using the script debian/make_ags+libraries.sh on Debian or Ubuntu (see comments in the file for instructions) and of course it should be built with the latest code if you want to make a release.

monkey0506

Yes, it's just the folders/files that the make_ags+libraries.sh script produces (copy the data folder, sans any game files). I can do a fresh build this afternoon if needed.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Tue 11/11/2014 13:28:07
Yes, it's just the folders/files that the make_ags+libraries.sh script produces (copy the data folder, sans any game files). I can do a fresh build this afternoon if needed.
Yes, please.
I am getting some errors for "cowbuilder" thing, I'll need more time to understand how all this works.

BigMc

Which errors? Did you follow the instructions?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: BigMc on Tue 11/11/2014 19:09:25
Which errors? Did you follow the instructions?
I followed them up to the
# Create the (chroot) environments that will be used for building ags:

# cowbuilder-dist wheezy i386 create
# cowbuilder-dist wheezy amd64 create
I do not really understand what this means. Are they the exact commands I should type, or I must also add some custom parameters here?
When I ran the first one, I get this:
ikm@ubuntu:~/git/ags$ cowbuilder-dist wheezy i386 create
-> Invoking pbuilder
  forking: pbuilder create --logfile /home/ikm/pbuilder/wheezy-i386_result/last_operation.log --othermirror deb http://security.debian.org wheezy/updates main contrib non-free|deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-updates main contrib non-free|deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy-proposed-updates main contrib non-free --debootstrapopts --keyring=/usr/share/keyrings/debian-archive-keyring.gpg --components main contrib non-free --debootstrapopts --arch=i386 --buildplace /home/ikm/pbuilder/wheezy-i386-base.cow --mirror http://ftp.debian.org/debian --architecture i386 --distribution wheezy --no-targz --extrapackages cowdancer
W: /home/ikm/.pbuilderrc does not exist
I: Logging to /home/ikm/pbuilder/wheezy-i386_result/last_operation.log
I: Running in no-targz mode
I: Distribution is wheezy.
I: Building the build environment
I: running debootstrap
/usr/sbin/debootstrap
I: Retrieving Release
I: Retrieving Release.gpg
I: Checking Release signature
E: Release signed by unknown key (key id 6FB2A1C265FFB764)
E: debootstrap failed
W: Aborting with an error
pbuilder create failed
  forking: rm -rf /home/ikm/pbuilder/wheezy-i386-base.cow

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk