Fortnightly Writing Competition - ODD COUPLE (Results)

Started by Baron, Fri 14/02/2014 03:06:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

Greetings Fortnightly Writing Competition participants,
     Your challenge for this round is character-based:  you must create two characters of opposite, conflicting or even incompatible temperament, and put them into a situation where they are stuck with each other.  Maybe they'll come to an understanding and appreciation of their mutual differences, maybe they'll discover that they are much stronger as a team when they combine their divergent skill set, or maybe they'll just end up hating and murdering each other: outcome doesn't matter as much to me as exploring the inevitable antagonism between vastly different characters.  Ideally your work would be in screen-play or stage-play format, but I'm not going to make it a requirement so long as your work is dialog driven (i.e. character is mostly revealed through verbal exchanges).
     As always, here are some ideas for the uninspired:

Genghis Khan and Stephen Hawking are stuck carpooling in a traffic jam

Joni Mitchell and Adolf Hitler have an awkward blind date

John Lennon and Cookie Monster are room mates quarrelling over the electricity bill

Ocean Spirit Dennis and James Bond are the sole survivors of a shipwreck on a deserted island

Ponch and Fran Drescher are in a hideous accident, but the doctors save them by fusing their bodies together

Really the possibilities are endless: have fun!  Deadline is midnight EDT February 28. 

Ponch

Quote from: Baron on Fri 14/02/2014 03:06:47
Ponch and Fran Drescher are in a hideous accident, but the doctors save them by fusing their bodies together
Wonderful. How am I supposed to sleep tonight? Or ever again? :=

Baron

WHAM

Wow, this is going to take some thinking. I had an early idea
Spoiler
of Guybrush Threepwood and Sergeant Ramirez from Call of Duty struggling to escape a devious trap using their characteristic methods
[close]
but the idea fell flat quite quickly as I ran out of ideas.

Need to do some more planning and thinking and come up with two good characters for this.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

CaptainD

Nice theme.  However you have lost some credibility suggesting that Ocean Spirit Dennis and James Bond are opposites - surely they are very alike? 8-)

miguel

Working on a RON game!!!!!

Fitz

I'm afraid I'm going to start and stop midway through the third paragraph again, like I did last time -- but just out of curiosity: does it have to be a completely new story, conceived of only upon reading the rules, or can I use an old idea of mine that I never got around to writing? Would be nice to finally get it down on paper/screen -- and the contest might give me a nice motivation to keep at it.

Baron

Quote from: Fitz on Fri 14/02/2014 17:50:05
can I use an old idea of mine that I never got around to writing?

As a member of the Thought Police, I hereby charge you with having a guilty conscience. ;) 

Joking aside, I resurrect ideas all the time for these competitions.  I'm of the opinion that it would be slightly dishonest to submit something you've already written (even if it was previously unpublished, it would have been written without the immense pressure and time constraints of the FWC (wrong) ), but I have no such qualms when it comes to just ideas.  So I give you my official endorsement as Contest Coordinator: make those long-disused ideas into a written reality!

Janos Biro

Can I enter? What do I do? Just submit the text as a post, just like the last competition?
I'm willing to translate from English to Brazilian Portuguese.

Atelier

Quote from: janosbiro on Sun 16/02/2014 05:03:13
Can I enter? What do I do? Just submit the text as a post, just like the last competition?

Yep :) I need to enter this too. Haven't written anything in way too long!

Ghost

Quote from: janosbiro on Sun 16/02/2014 05:03:13
Yup- as a rule, this is free for all, and you just post your story. Godspeed (nod)

Fitz

Hm... We're past the half mark and I'm almost 6000 words into the story, so it's kinda late to ask -- but are there any boundaries to how twisted, deranged and all out crazy the story can be? ;) Because what I've got is probably the most insane piece of writing I've ever done (laugh) I'll finish it, regardless, I'm having waaaay too much fun with it -- but I won't post it if it means crossing any lines here.

Baron

I've read some pretty lengthy "short" stories in this competition over the past couple of years, so don't worry about word-count per se.  If it's gripping, the reader always wants more anyway.  As far as the competition goes, however, there may be some logistical disadvantages if the piece you submit is extremely long, as traditionally we only have a three day voting window: some voters might not be able to plough through your work in time and thus might not necessarily give you the recognition you deserve.  But it's a fine line to walk: fleshing out a world/plot thoroughly vs. keeping the reader on the edge of his/her seat.  Good luck!

Fitz

Yeah, it just got longer by some 2500 words yesterday -- but I'm nearing completion, so I guess I should get something around 9K, with edits and fleshing out a few sketchy parts. I am aware this might be too much for some people to get through -- but my main concern is the content. I went for a New Weird theme, and so it's all sort of dark, gross -- and xxx-rated. Is there a requirement to keep the stories more PG-13?

Sinitrena

Quote from: Fitz on Mon 24/02/2014 07:27:35
Yeah, it just got longer by some 2500 words yesterday -- but I'm nearing completion, so I guess I should get something around 9K, with edits and fleshing out a few sketchy parts. I am aware this might be too much for some people to get through -- but my main concern is the content. I went for a New Weird theme, and so it's all sort of dark, gross -- and xxx-rated. Is there a requirement to keep the stories more PG-13?

And I thought mine would be the longest entry at 6400 words.
I can't speak for Baron, of course, but xxx-rated is usually ok as long as you put a warning beforehand. That's just commen courtesy anyway, so people who don't agree with such contend won't read it.

And because I just said this, I guess I should warn the reaader that there is some violance and gore in my text.

--------------------------------------

Light is Darkness of a Different Kind
A Play in Fragments

1. Scene:

(A clearing somewhere in the mountains. A man, Telron, sits with his back to the audience, surrounded by a circle of candles. He is dark-haired or wearing a dark hood, but this is all the audience can tell about him at this point. A second man, Hamen, wearing light-colored clothes, enters the stage from the opposite site, a drawn sword in his hand. He hesitates a moment when the first man doesn't react to his appearance, then brandishes his sword threateningly. After a short while:)

Hamen: (proud)   I have come to kill you.

(Pause)

Hamen: (angry)   Don't you hear? I've come to kill you!

(Pause)

Hamen:   I am here...

Telron: (interrupting, calm)   I heard. You seem to have a real talent for stating the obvious. I've waited a long time now. Months, years, centuries, I'm not even sure. The candles burned down to the ground and built themselves anew a thousand times and still I am sitting here and waiting. Why haven't you come earlier? Why do you still keep me waiting? Boring me with words and threats? - Please, just please don't change your mind. Too many came, too many went away again. I won't fight, don't worry, I won't fight.

Hamen: (angry)   You can't soothe me with your false pretenses! You can't fool me! I know what you are: Trickster; Demon;

Telron/Hamen: (together)   Monster; Shadow; Death.

Telron: (alone, still calm)   I heard it all, heard it all a thousand times. What do I care what names you call me? Just strike and all will be done. You will be famous, you will hear your name in songs and I... I may even find peace.

Hamen:    Peace? Peace!? You don't deserve peace. You're a monster, a...

Telron: (interrupting)   Yes,yes, yes. Everything you say, everything you think, everything and more you could never imagine. Be glad you can't!

(Pause)

Hamen: (annoyed)   I think I've made myself clear: I have come to challenge you to death for the crimes you committed. Now stand up and fight me!

Telron:    I don't want to fight you.

Hamen: (dismissive)   What do you want, then, die? So be it then.

(Hamen rises his sword into a position ready to strike.)

Telron: (incredulous)   <So be it, then?> You don't have any idea what you got yourself into, do you?

(Hamen relaxes his sword, confused.)

Telron:    You will die like all the rest.

Hamen: (proud, angry)   I don't fear death!

Telron: (pensive)   No, no, you wouldn't. They never do. They walk up to me and they don't fear death. But they shouldn't, they shouldn't at that. They should fear me.

Hamen:   You <are> death, you are...

Telron: (interrupting, angry)   I am not! (calm, directly looking at Hamen for the first time) Death is just my mercy. What you should fear is the darkness inside of me. Strike true, friend, and strike fast, for still I am contained, but for how long? Still the lights hold the darkness at bay, though the light itself is darkness, for the candles are made from my victim's fat.

Hamen: (disgusted)   You made candles out of people?

Telron:    What else would I do with those who tried for my head? What use are they? What meaning is left? - But quit wasting your time talking, for once the emptiness inside of me is unleashed, there won't be any mercy for you, friend.

Hamen: (wary)   I know what you are trying to do. You are trying to goad me into a premature attack, so that you can kill me more easily. But this is not going to work, trickster! I know what you are, and I won't fall for your tricks.

Telron: (laughing)   You won't? Won't you? You have no idea what you are talking about. A hero, looking for fame! Ha! What could you possibly know? I've met your type a hundred times! - (cold) And I killed them all.

Hamen:    I am not some simple swordsman. I am not someone just looking for fame and glory. I am Hamen Rilosh and I am fighting for justice!

Telron:    Of course you are.

Hamen: (proud)   I don't fear you! The gods are on my side! And you will die for your crimes!

Telron: (amused)   Will I? For the part of me that really deserves to die, can't. I am but a vessel and I am tired. Once I am dead my murderer will be its vessel, just like it always was, just as it happened the day I was still righteous and became darkness. (wistful) There were songs about me then, songs of the hero, songs of the savior. I relished them. (sad) I saved people and they worshiped me, but the darkness was there and it grew. It's growing still, but I hold it back. (quiet) I am still good.

Hamen: (angry)   Good? Good!? You are not good! You killed thousands of people, bathed in their blood! You're a monster and a liar. Trickster...

Telron: (interrupting)   Demon; Shadow; Murderer. Doesn't it get boring to repeat the same thing over and over again? Listen to you, wasting your time! I don't want to die, you know, I don't want you to become me. - But darkness falls...

(Suddenly, all lights turn off, including the candles. The stage is completely dark for a moment. When the lights come back on, except for the candles, Telron stands behind Hamen and presses a knife/dagger at his throat.)

Telron: (whispering)   You are stupid. You are hot-headed and stupid. I was like you once: Telron the hero, fighter for fame, fighter for what is right. I hunted down a demon and I won... and I lost everything for it: My family, my life, my humanity.

(He pushes Hamen away, who stumbles but turns around instantly, facing Telron again, sword at the ready.)

Telron:    The demon I once chased is now inside of me!

Hamen:    I am stronger then you, I won't allow it to crush me down. The Great Master ordered me...

Telron: (interrupting)   Ordered you? Of course you were ordered. You are too weak to have an actual will of your own. You are weaker than me. You are weak as a babe, stumbling around like a toddler. I feel sorry for you, I really do.

Hamen: (incredulous)   You really think this, don't you? (proud) You are nothing but a coward and a murderer. Fight me, fight me in an open fight and we will see...

Telron: (forcefully)   No!

(The lights turn back to darkness. After a moment they come back on again, this time including the candles. Telron is sitting in the circle again, facing the audience, looking up at Hamen.)

Telron: (calm)   I cannot allow an open fight. I cannot allow a fair fight, because you would lose whether you win or not. You lose no matter what and the price you are going to pay is too high. Don't you understand? I'm trying to save us all!

Hamen: (snorts angry and dismissive)   Yes? How?

Telron:   I can contain the demon. I am still good, but you would crumble under his fist in a mere year or two like I once did. I came back. I crushed him down after years and years of murder. Now I am hunted, but I only kill to save the demon, for once I die it is free once again in my killer's body. It took lifetimes, more than one, more than ten, more than you can imagine, to control it after it broke free. Do you really want to risk the world for something as petty as fame and revenge? Do you really think you are stronger than me? Do you really think you can win when there is nothing but a lie to obtain?

Hamen: (proud)   I am Hamen Rilosh, champion of the gods, fighter for justice, fighter for what is right. I won't succumb to a demon like you. I am chosen! I won't fail!

Telron:    I don't doubt you believe this. But it doesn't matter.

Hamen:    I won't fail!

Telron:    Can you be sure? Don't you understand? I am trying to save you. ...Not your life, you. (aside) I don't care much for your life. (pensive) Actually, I would be protecting you if I took your life.

Hamen:    Are you threatening me, now?

Telron: (incredulous)   Who came here to challenge me? Who is threatening whom? - It doesn't matter. By now, you are clinging to an opinion you already changed.

Hamen: (confused)   What? No, I am not! You are a monster, a demon...

Telron: (interrupting)   Yes, yes, you already said this. - And you sound like a petulant child. - Just tell me one thing then: Why haven't you attacked me yet?

Hamen: (proud)   Unlike you, I am honorable! Not a vile murderer like you!

Telron:    Is that so? Maybe. And maybe it is because you were warned that I am a trickster, maybe you fear me because of the stories you heard. But I think you are right: it is because you are better than me and all the others who tried to kill me. When I was in your position I did not hesitate, I did not waver. I attacked and I fought and, although the enemy did not keep his darkness in check, I was the better fighter. I survived and he died and I... (quiet) I lost everything. (serious, earnest) But you are good and honorable and so you won't risk the world, will you? You will protect it by protecting me.

Hamen: (squatting down, calm)   I don't believe you.

Telron:    No, no, you wouldn't. - But I don't need you to believe, I need you to understand. (begging) Please, please understand: You can kill me but you cannot kill what I am. Please understand the price you will pay: Thousand lives will be avenged and you will become the strongest and best hero who ever lived for a couple of years but in the end you will fall. (sad) You know, all heroes fall eventually and you won't be an exception. The demon will take possession of you and you will become a monster. One day you might wrestle it down but by then it is too late, then the hunters and heroes will already be after you and there are only three paths left for you to go.

Hamen: (expecting pause, then)   And what will they be?

Telron: (angry)   Did you not listen to anything I said so far? Don't you understand anything? - (calm) You can choose death â€" and new life for the demon; you can choose life and murder, either as yourself or as the demon you have become; or you can choose loneliness.

Hamen: (arrogant)   And you chose murder!

Telron: (angry)   I chose loneliness! But you stupid hunters keep coming, keep trying to kill me! Would the first option be better? This way, I'm only killing those who don't leave me alone!

Hamen: (standing up)   You killed thousands of people!

Telron:   Yes, yes I did! What is your point? What do you want me to say, to do? I killed thousands! I enjoyed it. And every time I kill the demon surges inside of me! And every time I fight it back down! Don't you understand? - (deflated, quiet) Why won't you understand?

Hamen: (turning away, quiet)   I think I understand... I just... There are so many people who deserve justice.

Telron: (dismissive laugh)   There is no justice, only revenge. They deserve revenge, yes, but they won't get it, no matter what you do.

Hamen: (turning back)   And in your opinion, what am I supposed to do then?

Telron:    What can you do? Leave. Leave me to my loneliness and hope that I never succumb to what can't be killed.

Hamen:    I...

Telron: (whispering)   And maybe, just maybe, visit me when you are old enough to not feel disgusted anymore.

Hamen:    I... What?

Telron: (sad)   Nothing, nothing of any importance. (dismissive gesture) Just leave. Leave me alone. Look for fame and justice in a different corner of the world. Kill all the monsters you wish and pray to every god there ever was that no-one ever manages to kill me. - Go now, go.

(Hamen opens his mouth as if to say more but changes his mind. Instead, he leaves without another word. When he is gone:)

Telron: (smirking, cold)   Easy.

(Curtain)

2. Scene:

(Some years later. The stage hasn't changed. Telron sits in his circle of burning candles. He hasn't changed. Hamen arrives. He looks slightly older. Telron looks at him immediately. In the following scene, they both move freely across the stage.)

Telron: (incredulous)   You are back. - Why are you back?

Hamen:    You told me to come back.

Telron:    I told you to come back when you don't feel disgusted anymore. But you haven't changed your opinion, have you? You still think I am scum, a monster...

Hamen: (interrupting)   a demon, a shadow, death. I somehow got the impression you were tired of all these names.

Telron:    I am. - This doesn't answer my question at all. Why have you come back?

Hamen: (hesitating)   I need some answers.

Telron:    Answers? From me? What answers could I have? What do you think I am? What do you think we are? Friends?

Hamen: (angry)   We are no friends! I could never be friends with someone like you!

Telron:    No, of course not. Because I am a monster and you are a hero and nothing could ever make us agree on anything. - I don't owe you any answers. All the answers you could ever want from me, you already got. So leave me be and don't test my patience.

Hamen:    Listen...

Telron: (interrupting)   I don't want to listen to you! I thought it was easy to get rid of you, easier then with most, but no, you had to come back! Come back for <answers>! I don't have any answers, nothing but this little protection I offer, nothing but a sad story and evil thoughts. - Leave me alone!

Hamen:    I can't!

Telron:    Why? Are you looking for a way to kill me again? Do you think I know how to destroy the demon inside of me? I know none. There is none. I'll stay alive and the world will stay safe and there is no wisdom for anyone in this! There are no answers.

Hamen:    You don't even know the question yet!

Telron: (cold)   Of course not. Because I don't care!

Hamen:    You don't care for the rest of the world?

Telron:    What has the rest of the world to do with this? I don't care for you, I don't care for your question and no, I don't care for the world. I'm a monster, remember?

Hamen:    You told me you are still good.

Telron:    So? Maybe I am, maybe I am not. Maybe I lied. I do this a lot, lying, I mean. Lying and scheming and manipulating idiots who try to kill me. I am called a trickster for a reason, you know.

Hamen:    I know this, but...

Telron: (interrupting)   What? What do you want?

Hamen:    I told you: I need answers.

Telron:    Yes, you did. And for some unfathomable reason you haven't asked yet. My patience is running thin. So ask your question and be on your way. You can leave none the wiser and I can go back to my dreams.

Hamen:    Dreams?

Telron:    Dreams of blood and of decay. Dreams of flesh and broken bones. Dreams of songs in my name and people celebrating their hero. What does it matter? Ask your question or leave, but stop bothering me.

(Pause)

Telron:    Well?

Hamen: (hesitating)   Are there others like you?

Telron:    Others? Like me? People that think they can stop a demon? There were thousands who died by my hands. There were hundreds that hosted my demon before me. Why?

Hamen:    That was not my question. Are there others like you? Other demons? More demons alive in this world?

Telron:    Why would you ask me something like that? Do you want to hunt down someone else now that you understand it would be a bad idea to kill me? Are you really that desperate to prove yourself? Do you really want fame this much?

Hamen: (angry)   This is not about fame! This is not about me! But you can't understand this, can you? For you it was all about fame. When you accused me I wanted to hear my name in songs you were talking about yourself, weren't you? And you still want fame. You still want people to bow to your glory!

(Telron bows his head, nodding.)

Hamen:    But this isn't about you or me! Not about fame and glory! Telron, I need to know if there are others like you. - Please.

Telron:    Why? Why is this so important? What makes you even think about such a question? I am famous, not the way I wanted it once, but I am famous. Shouldn't this be answer enough?

Hamen:    It should, yes. But it isn't. I never heard about someone else as brutal, as ruthless, as cold as you, until...

Telron:    Until?

Hamen:    Until last month when news reached us of one man killing the people of three villages in a single night. At first we thought it was you...

Telron:    Of course you did. Who else could it have been?

Hamen:    That is the question. Who else is there? Did you kill them?

Telron:    I haven't left this clearing since we met.

Hamen:    So there must be a second demon out there?

Telron:    Why? People can be evil too, you know. I killed for a living before I became a demon and I enjoyed every second of it. Atrocities are not reserved for demons.

Hamen:    No, but...

Telron: (interrupting)   Neither are the skills to kill a few villagers. It's actually rather easy. They usually aren't very well protected. And what prove do you have that it was just one man, anyway?

Hamen:    The few survivors.

Telron:    There wouldn't be any survivors if I had attacked these villages. So you can safely assume that there was no demon involved.

Hamen:    Maybe, maybe not. Maybe he just isn't as experienced as you yet.

Telron: (dismissive)   Whatever. I answered your question. I don't know anything about other demons, I don't know if they exist and I don't know how a demon is created. - You can leave me now.

Hamen:    Telron...

Telron:    What?

Hamen:    Just assume for a moment there is a second demon. You told me they can't be killed, you told me they just take their killer as a new vessel and it's a fairly obvious assumption that no-one but you could restrain it for any length of time...

Telron:    So?

Hamen:    So you are the only one to stop this man.

Telron: (laughter)   Have you gone mad? Do you seriously ask me to fight for you? No, … just no.

Hamen:    There is no-one else.

Telron:    So this is why you came; not for answers but for an assassin? If you seriously think I would be willing to do this, you must be mad. - You are not the first madman who came to me. Most of them ended up as candles, you know.

Hamen: (flat)   I hear you. You are selfish and cold. You don't care for the world or its people, you don't care for anything. You are evil and...

Telron: (interrupting)   Are you seriously trying to accuse me of things I am more than willing to confess? Yes, I am selfish and a killer. I am more interested in fame than the good of the people and I enjoy killing. I don't feel responsible for this world and I don't care for anyone except for myself.

Hamen:    Then why did you fight the demon in the first place?

Telron:    I...

Hamen: (interrupting)   You fought the demon to safe them.

Telron:    I fought the demon for fame and for glory. I fought him inside of me to safe myself. I am not responsible for anybody but me.

Hamen:    I wish you were really as selfish as you say.

Telron:    What?

Hamen:    I wish you really were selfish. Then, at least, I could be angry with you and hate you. But you are not. I don't believe you.

Telron:    Why not?

Hamen:    Because you spared my life. You could have killed me easily if you wanted to, but you didn't. You didn't!

Telron: (pained)   Lord Rilosh...

Hamen:    No, Telron, no. You told me you are still good.

Telron:    Only compared to what I could be. And I wasn't that good to begin with.

Hamen:    I know you, Telron, and...

Telron: (interrupting, angry)   No, you don't. You don't know me at all. You have no idea what I am, you have no idea what it feels like...

Hamen: (interrupting, calm)   I know you, Telron.

Telron: (flat)   You know me. What do you know? What could you possibly know?

Hamen:    I know that you fought a demon twice, once in a battle with swords, once inside of you. I know that you decided not to kill anymore. I know that you still rather kill than allow another to become a demon, either because you want to protect the world or because you don't want anybody else to suffer like you. I know that part of you still dreams of becoming famous, of being a hero and hearing your name in songs. I know that you fear the part of you that is demon and that you are strong enough to keep both the fear and the demon down. I know that you are strong, stronger than anybody else who was a vessel of your demon before you and certainly stronger than I. I know that you made a choice a long time ago and that you cling to it even though you are tired and sometimes wish to die. I know that you are lonely. I know that you won't give up as long as there is still a part of you there that can fight. And I know that you have a responsibility...

Telron: (interrupting)   I am not responsible for anything but myself! I don't owe the world anything! I already gave everything I have!

Hamen:    You are right. I am sorry. - But all you did, all you achieved will be for nothing if there is a second demon roaming free.

Telron:    If there is. We can't be...

Hamen: (interrupting)   No, we can't be sure. We will be, though. In ten years or in twenty. Once someone kills this man or when he lives longer than he should. But by then it is too late. By then thousands will be dead and, because I asked you today, then you will have them on your conscience and you will be responsible!

Telron:    Do you have any idea what you ask of me? Do you have any idea?

Hamen:    Tell me.

Telron: (pained)   Every time I kill the demon surges anew. Every time I kill I feel him get stronger for a moment again. Every time I kill I am the demon and monster everybody fears.

Hamen:    I don't fear you. I fear your demon, but I think I stopped fearing you some time ago.

Telron:    You are an idiot.

Hamen: (laughing)   Maybe. But Telron...

Telron: (interrupting)   And do you know what will happen if it really is a second demon and I win or I lose and there are two demons in one body then?

Hamen:    No. Do you?

Telron:    Considering I have no idea if other demons even exist, no, but I assume it would be twice as strong. I restrained one. Can I restrain two? Will I lose my self?

Hamen:    I don't know. But I trust you, Telron, I trust you. I trust in your strength and your determination. I trust in your skills and I trust that you can win. That you can win again and again and again, every day until the end of time.

Telron:    As I said; an idiot. - When you came to me the first time, I asked you if you were willing to accept the price for killing me and you decided to not do it. Now I ask you: Are you willing to pay the price for what you ask me to do now? For if there is a second demon and I win but lose the fight inside my body, then <I> am the end of time. Do you understand this?

Hamen:    Yes.

Telron: (shaking his head)   You are crazy. Crazy and a fool. An honorable, trusting fool. - So be it then. Let's go.

(They leave together.)

(Curtain)

--------
Edit: Formatting errors.

Sinitrena

3. Scene:

(A different place. Telron stands in the middle of a massacre. Bodies lie around him and he has blood everywhere on his clothes and on his face. He walks between the bodies and mutilates them further: ripping out eyes or organs, severing limbs or other such things. Hamen stands to the side and watches. He has a satchel with him, containing Telron's candles. After a while, Hamen steps forward.)

Hamen: (hesitating)   Telron?

(Telron turns around and glares at Hamen.)

Telron: (as demon)   Telron is dead.

Hamen:    No.

Telron: (as demon)   Telron is dead and I am alive. I am alive, alive, alive! (evil, maniac laughter)

Hamen:    No, he isn't. I know he isn't.

(Hamen steps forward but lunges at him. Hamen stops.)

Telron: (as demon; menacing)   Don't come near me, human, or I will kill you and eat your heart.

Hamen:    No, you won't.

Telron: (as demon)   What makes you say that?

Hamen:    You are Telron, my friend Telron.

Telron: (as demon)   Telron was never your friend. And I am not Telron. I am the darkness of this world, the monster in your dreams, the fear and the pain. I am shadow and death. I am your worst nightmare. I am the black blood crawling under your skin, I am...

Hamen: (interrupting)   You are nothing.

(Telron laughs.)

Hamen:    You are nothing, nothing but a nightmare, nothing but hatred. But you are not of any importance. You are not Telron, and I am here to talk to Telron, not you.

Telron: (as demon)   Telron is dead!

Hamen:    No, he isn't. I see him standing there, liking blood from his fingers. I see him in you, I see...

Telron: (as demon; interrupting)   This is just a vessel.

Hamen:    No, it isn't. It is Telron, who is real and strong, while you are nothing.

Telron: (as demon)   Telron is dead! You have lost, fighter for what is right. I am alive and Telron is dead. Accept it. You have lost!

Hamen:    No, I haven't. I haven't lost as long as you are talking.

Telron: (as demon)   You've lost and you stand in my way! Get out of my way or I will kill you!

Hamen:    No, you won't. You can't kill me.

Telron: (as demon, laughter)   What makes you think this, fighter? Don't you see all the others?

Hamen:    I see them. But I am not them. Telron didn't know them and they meant nothing to him. But Telron knows me. And <he> hesitated. The demon would not hesitate but Telron would and Telron did and Telron stopped. He did when I first came to him and now you don't attack me. So I know that Telron is still there and that he is still strong!

Telron: (as demon; advancing)   I will kill you!

Hamen: (defending)   No, you won't! You won't, Telron, because I know you and I know what you are capable of. I know what you are, better then anybody.

(Telron stops his advance suddenly.)

Telron: (as demon)   And what do you think he is? What do you think your precious assassin is that he could be stronger then me?

Hamen: (breathing heavily)   Telron is a man who fought a demon down inside of him after years and years of murder and he kept him down even when he had to kill again.

Telron: (as demon)   Oh, yes, he did. And then <you> send him to his death! (laughter)

Hamen:    I didn't. Telron is not dead.

Telron: (as demon)   You think he's alive? You think he survived me? Me? The bringer of darkness, the oldest fiend? I am shadow and death, darkness and pain. I am the world now. The world belongs to me and Telron is nothing. You, you are nothing!

Hamen:    Oh, spare me! You are right, I am nothing, I am nothing compared to you, but I am not the one fighting you, Telron is, and he is going to win!

Telron: (as demon)   You think so? You think Telron is strong, Telron fought a demon twice? Telron decided not to kill again and Telron still did. Telron dreamed of becoming famous. Telron feared me and was still string enough to keep me and the demon down. Telron was strong. Telron was weak! I fought him and I won! I know your little speech. I heard it. I remember you convincing Telron to fight for you, to take on a second demon. (laughter) I thank you for this, human, I thank you.

Hamen:    Don't. Because you will lose. I know it.

Telron: (as demon)   You know, do you? What do you know? What could you possibly know?

Hamen:    And this right there is Telron talking. This is Telron.

Telron: (as demon)   Telron talking? Because he used the same words once? What makes you think it was Telron then and not me?

Hamen:    I know Telron.

Telron: (as demon)   You know Telron? You talked to him twice! I lived inside of him for a thousand years! What could you possibly know?

(Hamen opens his satchel and takes out a few candles.)

Telron: (as demon)   You think they can stop me? You think some candles can stop me?

Hamen: (absent-minded)   They are not to stop you, they are to make you remember.

Telron: (as demon)   I remember just fine. I remember everything...

Hamen: (interrupting)   No, you don't, but you will.

(During the following, Hamen starts putting the candles around Telron in a circle, similar to the one from the other scenes. Telron moves around but doesn't step out of the circle. He looks amused first but grows restless.)

Hamen:    I want you to remember. I want you to remember who you are. I want you to remember your anger, your lies and your sadness. I want you to remember your fears and your dreams. I want you to remember everyone you killed. I want you to remember every detail, every line in their faces, every wound, every cry of pain and scream for help.  I want you to remember your clearing and your candles. I want you to remember everyone you didn't fight, everyone you send away like me. I want you to remember your loneliness and your pain.

Telron: (as demon)   This is not going to work.

Telron:    Yes. Yes, it is!

(During the following, Telron shakes violently, runs around, throws his hands in the air and so on. He never leaves the circle.)

Hamen:    Remember who you are. I know you, Telron. You are strong, stronger than any demon could ever be. You fought one down. What could a second one mean to you? You were right, I am weak, but you are strong. Maybe he believes that he is stronger now, but he isn't. He didn't kill me. He wasted his time talking. You asked me why I wasted my time talking the first time we met and the answer was that I am weak and you are strong. Now listen: The demon is not strong. The truth is, he is nothing, nothing at all. I talked to you, Telron, and I listened to you, even when I did not want to. And then the demon listened to me even though he did not want to and this means one thing: You, Telron, still controlled him even then. Telron, you never were defeated. You are strong. You are still good!

(The candles suddenly flare up all at once and Telron falls to the ground.)

Telron: (panting)   Won. I have won. He backed down. Why would he back down?

Hamen:    Telron?

Telron:    Have I won? Have I really won? Is he defeated?

Telron:    No, no. I couldn't have. It's not possible. He was so strong...

Hamen: (interrupting; authoritative)   Telron, stop this thought, stop it now!

(Telron startles and looks at Hamen.)

Telron: (slightly confused)   Lord Rilosh? Hamen?

Hamen:    Telron, you won. It is done.

Telron:    No, no, it isn't. It can't be. He was stronger, stronger then before.

Hamen:    Stop this thought, Telron, stop it, let it go. This thought is dangerous. You won because you are stronger. It is done. It is finished.

Telron:    No, no, it isn't. It's a fact. I felt it, I still feel it. He is stronger. He could have won. He could have defeated me, could have... killed... me...

Telron:    He could have killed me. I see it now. I understand it now. It's so easy. Don't you see, Hamen, don't you see?

Hamen:    What are you talking about?

Telron: (suddenly laughing, slightly mad)   The end! I'm talking about the end! It's so easy, such an easy solution. It was right there, right in front of me the whole time and I didn't see it, didn't understand it!

Hamen:    Telron, what...

Telron: (interrupting)   No killer, no new vessel for the demon! Do you know how they are born? I didn't, I didn't understand it, didn't want to, but now I do, now I understand!

Hamen:    You know I don't know how they are born. What is this solution you are talking about?

Telron:    Death. Death is the solution. They are born through murder, always were. They are born when someone kills, when someone kills and kills and kills. I understand now, now that I have the memories of two demons. Now I see. He, who kills like that, becomes a demon, but only if you kill him! If you leave him alone, nothing happens. He dies a lonely death, the demon dies a lonely death. But if someone kills him, then this power, this darkness stays alive and you can do nothing but wait for it to break through again. But this circle, this circle can be broken. (He kicks one of the candles away.) I reduced the demon once when I fought him down but the demon doesn't allow natural death and so it waits, waits for its vessel to break (He kicks a candle away.) or for a new vessel to come. But it is so easy, so easy! I should have seen it a long time ago. It needs me, the demon needs <me>! (Kicks candle.) The demon needs its vessel! Without it, there is nothing left! (Kicks candle.)

Hamen: (slightly panic)   What are you doing?

Telron:    Demons are shallow and angry and murderous! Come on, demon, fight!

Telron:    The first time you backed down when you couldn't break me. Now, I won't allow it. We fight, we fight, not for dominance but for death!

(Telron kicks the rest of the candles away.)

Hamen:    Telron...

Telron:    Death, demon, death!

Telron: (as demon)   You can't kill me!

Telron:    But I can die!

Telron: (as demon)   You can't kill yourself!

Telron:    I can't but I don't have to, demon. You can and you will. You won't back down again! There is nothing you can do as long as I keep fighting and I will, I will! I will fight to my death and I will find peace, after all these years I will find peace!

Telron: (as demon)   No!

Telron:    Yes! Yes. Yes, yes! Come on, demon, do your best, see if I am afraid of you like all the others you fought, see if I will allow you to rule me, see if I will allow me to rule you again. No one wins, not you, not me! This ends today. This ends with both of us dead!

Telron: (as demon)   I will win and then I will make your friend kill you and take him as a vessel...

Telron: (calm)   No, you won't. I am stronger than you and so is he. He listened. Don't you understand...

(Telron begins to shake again as he did before.)

Hamen:    I listened and I understand. Don't worry, Telron, I understand. Even if you fall I'll stand between the demon and the world. He is nothing compared to you, nothing compared to me. I will stand still and watch you fight. I will watch you die and the demon will die with you. There will be songs in the future, Telron, songs of the one who killed two demons to safe the world. They will praise you, Telron, for your honor and your courage. They will praise you for your sacrifice and they will cry for you even when I tell them that you were happy to go in the end. There will be a gravestone in a clearing for you and an epitaph. <Telron, who fought.> will be etched into its stone and a circle of candles made from black marble will stand there. People will come from far away just to see your grave. They will ask what you did and they will hear the story of an evil man, of the darkness you were and the darkness you fought. They will know that you were still better than all of us. They will put flowers on your grave and sprinkle it with wine and their children will play <Telron's fight with the demon> in their backyard. They will remember you as a hero, as the hero you truly are. Once a year a festival in your name is celebrated and...

(Telron has fallen to the ground and lies nearly unmoving. Hamen kneels down next to him.)

Hamen:    And I will make sure that they know that their light was darkness, their darkness light, that their greatest light, their savior, was darker, colder and...

Telron: (interrupting; weak)   All this is a lie. No one will remember me. There is no fame and no glory for me.

Hamen: (sad)   No, there isn't. It was all a lie.

Telron:    Make sure I am forgotten.

Hamen:    I will, I promise.

Telron:    Thank you.

Hamen:    Is it done?

Telron:    Yes, now it is done. I have peace. (dies)

Hamen:    Thank you, Telron.

(Curtain)

----------------------------

It was, once again, too long for a single post. So please excuse the double post. ;-D

Baron

WOOT for entries!  WOOT!  WOOT!  WOOT!
      In other news, you've got approximately 3 days left to get your submission in.  Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned, but I, for one, have a very hard time judging the merit of your story when you neglect to write it down and share it.  So feel the hype and start to type!  (nod)

CaptainD

I wanted to do something featuring Indiana Rodent and The Cat Lady, but I don't think I'll have time - sorry! :(

Baron

None of us have time: you gotta make time!  Usually by combining an unlikely assortment of inventory items.... ;)

Ghost

Quote from: Baron on Thu 27/02/2014 02:37:47
None of us have time: you gotta make time!

...use Rubber Band on Time Machine, that sort of thing? ;-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk