Cyberpunk Game Jam 2014

Started by qptain Nemo, Tue 18/02/2014 18:44:23

Previous topic - Next topic

qptain Nemo

http://www.punkcyb.org/

Sounds pretty damn neat, yeah? Anyone thinking of participating?

Ben X

Can't find a locations list, is this open to do anywhere?

EDIT: I ask because the global jam seemed very specific about where you could take part.

selmiak

I like how they stole the Barn Runner Font :=

What happens to the games submitted? Can they win a price or is it just participating for the sake of participating? Will they be sold as a bundle or downloadable for free?

qptain Nemo

It's a game jam and it's said to take place on twitter. Therefore it's safe to assume the following:

• it's open to do anywhere
  • it's for the sake of participating, making games and having fun. The games are expected to be shared by their creators for free during the jam, but their further fate is entirely in their hands. Developing a jam entry into a commercial product later on is probably not unheard of. And there's probably no prize, hence just a "jam" rather than a competition.
  • lol videogames #lol #indieasfuck #tweetweet

Saltwater Taffy

Anian

10 days to make it? Wow, that's not a lot of time for anything elaborate (I know there's masters here who do this stuff in a week), considering you'll know the actual theme (cyberpunk is only the a genere), 1 day before the start of the jam.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Armageddon

Quote from: Anian on Thu 20/02/2014 10:37:25
10 days to make it? Wow, that's not a lot of time for anything elaborate (I know there's masters here who do this stuff in a week), considering you'll know the actual theme (cyberpunk is only the a genere), 1 day before the start of the jam.
Try Ludum Dare sometime. :)

qptain Nemo

Yeah, 10 days is actually rather generous as far as jams go.

Which is kinda of a reason why I never manage to participate  :=

Also regarding prizes:
http://twitter.com/deviever/statuses/436262553342078976 !

Saltwater Taffy

I think it sounds like a wicked good time 8-) what theme did you vote on?

qptain Nemo

Hell yes. :) I voted for shadows. I probably wouldn't if I was voting for just words, but it says "the theme will be based on 80s illustration voted on below". And that pic is just... damn, it's so pretty. :> You?

Saltwater Taffy

I was torn between "monster" and "height" simply because those associated illustrations got my creative juices flowing the most and I instantly got a handful of ideas that I could really work with (laugh)

But ultimately I voted on height. I love massive cyberpunk metropolis type stuff.

Has anyone seen that new show Almost Human? Karl Urban from the Judge Dredd remake is in it. That and Continuum pretty much curb my scifi cravings in terms of television. Would really love a full blown cyberpunk show though. That'd be epic.

qptain Nemo

Quote from: Saltwater Taffy on Thu 20/02/2014 15:47:38
I was torn between "monster" and "height" simply because those associated illustrations got my creative juices flowing the most and I instantly got a handful of ideas that I could really work with (laugh)

But ultimately I voted on height. I love massive cyberpunk metropolis type stuff.
Yeah, those two are easily my second choices.

Quote from: Saltwater Taffy on Thu 20/02/2014 15:47:38
Has anyone seen that new show Almost Human? Karl Urban from the Judge Dredd remake is in it. That and Continuum pretty much curb my scifi cravings in terms of television. Would really love a full blown cyberpunk show though. That'd be epic.
Haven't seen those. I wouldn't say no to a full-blown cyberpunk show either to say the least.

selmiak

I was torn between obsessesed and height, but considering that obsession is cool in a cyberpunk novel noone can come up with a great novel that is also fun to play in 10 day (if so I'll be very impressed) and the game would be very storydrive (in my imagination, maybe there are other ways to integrate obsession into gameplay...) so I chose height too, I love deep neoncity views!

Andail

Me and Joel (Kathy Rain) have considered making something for that jam, as a little pilot for a larger project. I totally love the theme(s) and we considered making a cyberpunk adventure together anyway.

KodiakBehr

Ooooh, I may bite at this.

Saltwater Taffy

Speaking of cyberpunk games, anyone know of some cool point n' click adventure games within the cyberpunk genre? Gemini Rue is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

qptain Nemo

Quote from: Saltwater Taffy on Sat 22/02/2014 17:08:13
Speaking of cyberpunk games, anyone know of some cool point n' click adventure games within the cyberpunk genre? Gemini Rue is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.
Yes. :)
old: Blade Runner, Culpa Innata, Circuit's Edge, Beneath A Steel Sky, Bloodnet: A Cyberpunk Gothic, B.A.T., Rise of the Dragon, Dreamweb
AGS: Technobabylon 1, 2, 3, Keptosh I: Search for Junc

Those in bold are especially cool. And I have finished all those in bold at least so I know for sure.

Also cheers for those who decided to participate in the jam!

Hobo

Good suggestions by qptain Nemo.
I would also add Heatwave, the current AGS pick of the month, and Snatcher, although it's not really a traditional point and click game.

Chicky

QuoteSnatcher was the creation of Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, but it was more in line with a PC-style adventure game.

Thanks for bringing this gem to my attention Hobo! Looks totally sweet, now to find a copy.

I'm also hot for this jam, 10 days seems plausible... right?  (laugh)

qptain Nemo

The theme is this picture, designated "height". In 20 hours the fun shall start! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk