flat vs. realism

Started by noavana, Wed 26/02/2014 15:36:40

Previous topic - Next topic

noavana

This is supposed to be a commercial but it hardly feels like it..

This is plain awesome!

mitlark

Yeah, because "flat design" was "invented" on 2013.
SPIN SPIN! SPIN SPIN!

LimpingFish

That was pretty damn cool! But it took me two viewings to realize what it was advertising.

That might say more about me, though...:-[
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

EliasFrost

In recent history, posters(and other kinds of art) during the art deco period could be considered flat design in contrast to the very lifelike and nature inspired art nouveau that came before. So I guess flat design isn't really new. Minimalism (prior to the movement in late-mid 1900, albeit not having a name) and simplicity has been around for a pretty long time. I've seen the commercial once before and I thought it was pretty interesting.

Grim

Bastard crashed my Firefox just when some boss fight was about to start...

I guess I'll never know, 'cos I'm not watching the whole thing again.

mitlark

Quote from: Grim on Thu 27/02/2014 08:20:14
Bastard crashed my Firefox just when some boss fight was about to start...

I guess I'll never know, 'cos I'm not watching the whole thing again.
Jesus wins.
SPIN SPIN! SPIN SPIN!

selmiak

hmmm, the page loaded to a display of a huge 100 on screen and the nothing happened.

But this flat design is everywhere today:

Adeel

Quote from: selmiak on Thu 27/02/2014 10:00:38
hmmm, the page loaded to a display of a huge 100 on screen and the nothing happened.

But this flat design is everywhere today:

Spoiler
[close]

I agree with this one. Don't know why the hell they are so inclined to make logos flat. Realism IS the way to go and difficult to pull off, imho.

mitlark

It's just a trend. Today is flat design, some time in the future will be other thing. Designers are like that, they have their own trends, and they rotate each certain amount of time.

And is "realism" just using some little shadowing and little textures? I think that's bad usage of the term.
SPIN SPIN! SPIN SPIN!

Eric

Quote from: mitlark on Thu 27/02/2014 16:15:52And is "realism" just using some little shadowing and little textures? I think that's bad usage of the term.

It also includes skeuomorphic design.

TomatoesInTheHead

A point for flat design in logos is that these logos can be printed on clothing, engraved, printed black and white et cetera without changing their appearance too much.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk