Hoverboards are real and shiz.

Started by monkey0506, Wed 05/03/2014 17:12:36

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

There's no way this could possibly be a hoax, amirite?

http://huvrtech.com/

TomatoesInTheHead

Nah, they just confirm right in the beginning og the video that everything is real! 8-)

This is how fact-checking works, no?

Crimson Wizard

Having the grim view on our world I don't believe people can create such a new technology without a goverment getting their hands on it first :-\.

monkey0506

I'm extremely skeptical, but there's absolutely nothing legally disclaiming it... If it is a hoax then they're opening themselves up to a whole can of lawsuit worms.

All I can find online is people talking about how it's fake because it's fake, and a screencap of a shadow on a building purported to be a crane with wire harness. As far as I can tell it could just as easily be holding a camera, or an unrelated shadow.

Oh, and they also are saying that the Asian guy is Nelson Cheng, but I'm not certain of that either. Because I'm a racist who thinks all Asians look alike. 8-)

selmiak

I want to believe! but I don't!

Andail

The weird part is how Doc hasn't aged at all. Hm, makes you think...

Snarky

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Wed 05/03/2014 18:29:54
I'm extremely skeptical, but there's absolutely nothing legally disclaiming it...

"The inclusion of any products or services on this website at a particular time does not imply or warrant that these products or services will be available at any time."
"In addition, the information and materials on this website may contain inaccuracies and typographical errors. HUVr does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such information and materials or the reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information displayed or distributed through the site."

http://huvrtech.com/legal.html

Gribbler

Cmon' they wouldn't let celebrities fly 3-4 metres off the ground without any sort of protective gear. And with a hard asphalt underneath them? It's a fake.

Do you realise what kind of power would be needed to lift up a person so high and so easily? Maybe the technology exists but such boards would be much much bigger and would have dozens of wires connected to an external power source.

monkey0506

That would never hold up in court, especially given that the majority of their marketing thus far has been exclusively published outside the confines of their own domain without reference or disclaimer deferring to the site's legal terms. The whole lack of warranty that products will be made available is standard legalese which amounts to little more than reserving the right to change the style/color/design of the product without recourse.

As to the "inaccuracies and typographical errors" bit, the only thing they've actually said there is that they won't be held liable if the webmaster makes some sort of typo, hence the "usefulness of such information...distributed through the site" (e.g., more standard legalese). The YouTube videos, Facebook and Twitter accounts, etc. are not permissible under this provision, or indeed the legal terms of the HUVr Tech site itself.

I stand behind what I said. Nothing in the site's legal provisions would protect them from recourse if the product being advertised is nonexistent.

NickyNyce

My eyeballs are screaming that it's not real. It looks 'totally' fake IMO. I laughed the whole time.

I don't doubt that there is some type of technology like this, but not on this level.

The funniest part is very early on, when you see the guy flying it in the background. The board is not facing down, it's sideways. So the board doesn't even need to be facing down? ...lol

straydogstrut

I'd be more inclined to believe it if they kept falling over. It's just too clean cut to be real. A shaky, noisy YouTube video would be a lot more convincing than the slick all-star marketing promo on show here. If it hasn't happened already, it'll be revealed as a viral marketing ploy for something decidedly less impressive.

m0ds

Presumably an add on to the Nike air self-lacing announcement campaign methinks? But who knows. There's definitely wires and cranes lifting those people up ;) Someone posted a screencap (where the guy goes up the half pipe) of a clearly mounted crane. And yes, if this technology was really available, the inventor would have been killed by now. ;)

Snarky

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Wed 05/03/2014 19:30:43
That would never hold up in court, especially given that the majority of their marketing thus far has been exclusively published outside the confines of their own domain without reference or disclaimer deferring to the site's legal terms. The whole lack of warranty that products will be made available is standard legalese which amounts to little more than reserving the right to change the style/color/design of the product without recourse.

As to the "inaccuracies and typographical errors" bit, the only thing they've actually said there is that they won't be held liable if the webmaster makes some sort of typo, hence the "usefulness of such information...distributed through the site" (e.g., more standard legalese). The YouTube videos, Facebook and Twitter accounts, etc. are not permissible under this provision, or indeed the legal terms of the HUVr Tech site itself.

I stand behind what I said. Nothing in the site's legal provisions would protect them from recourse if the product being advertised is nonexistent.

I question your legal analysis. I think it's pretty obviously a catchall disclaimer that is deliberately presented as if it's really just about colors/designs and typos, when in actuality it means "and by the way, we don't guarantee that this isn't all bullshit". Most probably this is a viral promotional stunt for some other thing, just like... oh just take your pick! That video of people running on water comes to mind.

In any case, what the hell kind of grounds do you think anyone would have for a lawsuit anyway? As long as they don't accept preorders or investors, there's nothing for anyone to get "recourse" for. "A hoax website made me think I could buy a hoverboard in a month's time; money please!" is going to get laughed out of court.

Gribbler

Quote from: SnarkyMost probably this is a viral promotional stunt for some other thing
Maybe there's another BTTF movie in the making? A remake or a spin-off?

m0ds

Hm, possibly foundations for the way they will advertise the Nike power-lacing shoes (if they are even real themselves, haha!) - you know, adverts showing the shoes "using hoverboards". Hoverboards may not be real but powerlaces possibly... Huvr release date is apparently "Dec 31st 2014" and power-laces are 'supposed' to be released by Nike in 2015. It's not like Christopher Lloyd hasn't done Nike advertising before (video below), and a bunch of the stars in Huvr video seem to have Nike connections. Not so sure this is TellTale's style of marketing (if it's for a game)...is it?? Of course... a movie... That'd be amazeballs... Maybe. Michael J Fox has been doing a fair amount of acting in recent times.... ;-D But then, this doesn't seem like movie marketing. It's feels a lot more like product marketing...

[embed=480,360] <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qU-okJIgafg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> [/embed]

Anyway, consider me hyped for whatever the hell is going on with these BTTF references. I think it's wonderful that the films are recognized like this (the timeline, haha!!), even if it is just for shoe products/a bit of fun :)

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Gribbler on Wed 05/03/2014 20:37:20
Maybe there's another BTTF movie in the making? A remake or a spin-off?
That's what I had believed.

And of course the video is a hoax, I'm going to assume none of you are that gullible and are just joking around at the obvious marketing gag. I laughed quite a bit watching it.

straydogstrut

Powerlaces exist, in as much as there was this Kickstarter ages ago. I didn't keep up with it though so not sure what's happening with it now.

Grim

Earlier today I bumped into a YouTube video of Tony Hawk apologizing for this "hover board prank".

Mystery solved;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk