Pico's Journey

Updates
24 Mar 2014
9 Apr 2014
1 May 2014 (video)

Project Page
http://fuulynn.com/pico.html

Project Summary
Pico's Journey is my ongoing Final Year Project to be submitted on May 8. The project is now reaching its final stages.
I write the story, the script and design the game's look; the programming is done by slasher.
The game hopes to give the players an insight on schizophrenia and how to help its patients, through a lighthearted story that gets progressively dark.
Through solving the game's puzzles, the player will get deeper and deeper into Pico's mind and witness what she's witnessing: a strange, quirky and nightmarish world.
The art direction I am aiming for is a uniquely minimal, painterly style that resemble watercolor paintings even though they are created digitally.

Story Summary
Pico's Journey is a story about an 8 years old girl, Pico who lives in her own world made up of imaginary friends and strange happenings, because of her mental condition. Surrounding her are her three 'imaginary' friends, Bun (a stuffed bunny that came to life), Mr Y, Mrs X (two bodiless voices inside her head), and Tea - her only real life friend. Tea is the only 'real' person she trusts in and likes to be with.

One day, while on her way to meet Tea, Pico notices a man who's secretly following her. Confused between reality and her hallucination, she grows more and more scared of this man and only wants to avoid him at first. Eventually, urged on by her imaginary friends and giving in to her own fear, she attempts to hurt the man. The story will gradually unfold to reveal who the Man is, Tea's secret, and how Tea can be the only one to help Pico cope with her illness.

Videos
Gameplay prototype of the first room (with placeholder images): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFQJOK-BAEM

Concept Art

Pico hallucinating in the toy shop

Pico and Tea in the playground

Pico's design

Bun's first design

Screenshots/Assets

Cut scene (animated gif)

Character sprites

Progress
Story/Writing: 90%
Scripting: 80%
Art assets: 20%
Voice, music, sfx: 30%
Testing: 0%

I'm currently focusing on creating the final art assets and working with some voice actors.

I'm looking for testers! Message me if you're interested :-D.

Peder 🚀

Man this story/art sounds/looks really really interesting! :).

Stupot

What Peder said. Gorgeous!

Frodo

This... looks... gorgeous.  :grin:

I wish you all the luck with this one.  :wink:

Secret Fawful

I like the subliminal messaging in the grass.

Ghost

Speechless. This is looking gorgeous... Best of luck with this little gem!

Tabata

Interesting theme and individual style - will give that one a try for sure!

Good luck with your Final Year Project! 

Matti

This looks quite nice. One thing I noticed though is that in her side view Pico looks rather angry/upset. I think that's because her hair can be mistaken for her eyebrows and the large mouth adds to this impression.

Quote from: Secret Fawful on Sat 15/03/2014 12:04:59

Me too ;-D

Marygold

As a psychology major I can nothing but love the idea of this game :) And looks gorgeous, too! Interesting style of art, in a good way.

kiddou

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support! I hope the final product won't dissapoint :P. More materials coming soon! ...ish.

Quote from: Secret Fawful on Sat 15/03/2014 12:04:59

Thank you! I showed the image to some people I know but none of them even noticed that. Such a relief to know it's not unreadable :D.

Eggie

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the character designs!

Also huge sense of relief after your title put this guy in my head

kiddou

Quote from: Eggie on Mon 17/03/2014 10:20:22
Absolutely gorgeous! Love the character designs!

Also huge sense of relief after your title put this guy in my head

Hmm I didn't know about that guy but I do know another Pico that would be terrible if people mistake my Pico for him :X. And thanks for your compliment <3.

Some new screenshots!

Oh no Pico is stepping on Bun :D

Praying that I will finish this before the deadline. So many distractions :-X...

I'm sending a demo out to testers! If you want to be a tester just message me to get your copy! (laugh)

Driven Bats

Oh, man, this art is cool. It looks like you're playing a children's book (although I don't imagine I'd be recommending this game to little ones, lol). I look forward to seeing more!

Slasher

Hi,

with Firefox I can now view your images.... Love your application of color and style (nod)

Fantastico

Glad to be part of this project..

slasher

kiddou

Quote from: slasher on Wed 02/04/2014 18:28:36
Hi,

with Firefox I can now view your images.... Love your application of color and style (nod)

Fantastico

Glad to be part of this project..

slasher

I'm glad to have you in the team too! You have been a really big help and I can't thank you enough! :-D

UPDATE

I'm having my final presentation tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Finally... A proper starting screen.

Exactly my thought right now (nod)

Frodo

Myshkin

That first hallucinating image is amazing

dactylopus

Best of luck with the presentation!  Everything looks fantastic!

kiddou

Major update! I've been working my ass off since there's less than a week before the submission deadline, uh oh :-X.
Hopefully I will be able to release the game here in about 2-3 weeks. Hope you're all looking forward to it (laugh).

First of all, here is a belated gameplay video of the first scene!
[embed=800,600]http://youtu.be/obBjMbqIw6k[/embed]
This scene is pretty close to the final product though certain things are still not there, for instance Pico's up and down walk cycle that I'm still working on >_<. And I will certainly change the way Mommy looks.
Sorry for skipping the conversations, I was trying to keep this video short.

Some more artworks!

Try to spot the references!

Dark!Playground scene

Slasher

Remarkable...

You have done so well with the new backgrounds and some changes since last demo.

I know you still have much work to do and hope you get it done with some time to spare.

Good luck (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk