Mentions of AGS related stuff where you least expect it

Started by TomatoesInTheHead, Fri 14/03/2014 20:55:39

Previous topic - Next topic

TomatoesInTheHead

Have some of you had this too? You roam the internet or the media, googling this and that, living your (online or offline) life outside the adventure gaming world, and suddenly you stumble across a mention of an AGS game or a fellow AGSer!

Just now I read "xyzzy" somewhere, and wondered what the meaning and origin of the term is. And then, reading through its Wikipedia entry, where I least expect it, it mentions Primordia! 8-0

kconan

I was half-listening to a gaming related podcast on Nerdist last week, and the folks on there were talking about Cart Life and how unique it is compared to other simulation style games.  Roughly once a month I'll stumble across something AGS related outside of the community.

Dualnames

I remember coding this, I don't remember what it triggers frankly, but I'm glad it's there. I informed the guy who actually wrote this easter egg, Mark Yohalem, about this, I'm sure he'll be delighted to know.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ghost

Italian fansites about adventure gaming often feature AGS games too. Chance Of The Dead spread all the way to Poland, actually, which surprised me a lot. And I couldn't even read their articles!

And RAM GHOST ended up PIRATED on an illigal pirate software site run by software pirates. It was downloaded TWICE there and I felt oddly proud about that.

Fitz

Quote from: Ghost on Sat 15/03/2014 02:14:03Chance Of The Dead spread all the way to Poland, actually, which surprised me a lot.

Hey, it's not like we're the end of the world :P Reviews of AGS games pop up here and there every once in a while -- though I only know one adventure-centric site that features them on a regular basis. Big commercial titles -- such as Primordia or Resonance -- even got coverage in the mainstream game sites, but there was no mention of AGS as a program or a community, and so the general awareness of AGS in our game media is rather poor.

Radiant

A couple of years ago I unexpectedly received an e-mail from a director of TV documentaries working for some Canadian education channel. It turns out they were doing a documentary on famous surrealist painter M.C. Escher. Now it turns out that my old puzzle game, SubTerra, has a level somewhere in the middle, not exactly easy to reach or anything, that is called "Tribute to M.C. Escher" and that looks a bit like an Escher painting. So my game had somehow made its way to this documentary crew, they played it enough to reach that level, and then they sent me an e-mail asking if it was ok to use a few seconds of footage from my game in their documentary! Wow... :)

Ghost

Quote from: Fitz on Sat 15/03/2014 09:34:53
Hey, it's not like we're the end of the world :P Reviews of AGS games pop up here and there every once in a while -- though I only know

I put that wrong, maybe: I was *very* naive even at the time I released that game and somehow assumed they'd never really "leave their AGS database"- and then I find people going to the trouble to take screenshots, set up links, and write reviews. That was a very NICE surprise, that's what I wanted to say.

@Radiant: That's a big wow indeed, awesome!

Dualnames

Well, Felicia Day once played Resonance, so super-jelly.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Snake

I saw Gemini Rue mentioned in Reader's Digest quite a few months ago, or maybe a year. I can't remember. It was pretty cool. If I ever find it I'll scan a pic.

(after a quick look online)

I found it, but it's a pain to get to since you have to painfully sift through 20 of 22 images letting shit load. You know how it goes. I'll save you the trouble.

The title was, "21 New Games and Fun Apps to Brighten Your Day"
As I was looking through the pics just now I don't remember seeing all of those. I believe in the actual magazine there were only a few that were pictured and Gemini Rue was one of them.

Here's what they say, "If you like sci-fi novels, try: Gemini Rue (wadjeteyegames.com)
A sci-fi adventure in the tradition of Blade Runner and Total Recall, Gemini Rue puts cinematic gameplayâ€"complete with a compelling storyâ€"right in the palm of your hand. Available on iOS."

I understand Blade Runner, but Total Recall? There was an adventure game of the movie?
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Ghost

Quote from: Snake on Sat 15/03/2014 16:17:15
I understand Blade Runner, but Total Recall? There was an adventure game of the movie?
No, but you can read it as "in the style of movies like...", and that makes sense. High praise too. Total Recall was pretty neat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk