Set room location for frame-linked sounds?

Started by Myshkin, Sat 15/03/2014 00:41:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Myshkin

Hi,

apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I've been searching through the forums and can't find anything about this.

I was wondering if it is possible to set the location of a character or object such that any sounds linked in their animation scale with volume the way that an ambient sound would using SetRoomLocation. I have a character offscreen making noise who I don't want to be heard until they are visible to the player character, either by fading in as you approach, or by only making the sounds when they are actually onscreen.

If there is a feature I am missing here or if anyone has an idea how to achieve this that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Khris

IIRC, while in theory character's footsteps should change location along with the character, this feature was never implemented in the official build.
I'm using a slightly modified version of the 3.2.1. engine, the Draconian edition by Alan v. Drake: download
Just rename it to "acwin.exe" and place it in the main directory (make a backup of the original version first).

Myshkin

Myshkin

An update for anyone else trying to do something similar -- using the Draconian edition in the above link doesn't seem to have much impact on the volume of character sounds, but it does pan them left and right based on where the character is on screen which is pretty cool. I think as far as a character only making noise when onscreen I'll probably do something like have the character only actually animate when the player stands on a region.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk