Lack of particles system that handles alpha

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Mon 17/03/2014 11:47:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Hi everyone,

At the moment we have a few cool particle engines around (akumayo's particles engine, the weather module, snowRain module, etc.).
But all of these were created before AGS got really up-to-speed with alpha blending. Unless I'm mistaken, none of them handles alpha (only full transparency).

If one of you skilled gentlemen decided to look into it, I and others would be eternally grateful.

Calin Leafshade

I would imagine that most of the particle systems handle alpha just fine. Nothing in the API has changed. Where we used to get pink fringes, now you won't.

Monsieur OUXX

I remember you saying that before, but I'm pretty sure they're quite old (by design) and use a lot of obsolete technical choices.
Just one line like "if color==COLOR_TRANSPARENT" is enough to sabotage the whole module.

Anyway I'll look into it and come back to the community when the investigation is over ;)

tzachs

I'm using ParticleSystemManager and it seems to handle my alpha containing particles just fine.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: tzachs on Mon 17/03/2014 17:40:31
I'm using ParticleSystemManager and it seems to handle my alpha containing particles just fine.

That's the one I experimented on too, EXCELLENT :) And that's the one that was causing alpha issues with 3.2.1. So apparently it handled well the upgrade to 3.3.0. Hurray.

Monsieur OUXX

It turns out that jerakeen's ParticleSystemManager has issues with 3.3.0 (see the "blue cups" bug reported by AGD2, that I also encountered).
:(
If someone manages to solve that one...

EDIT: the module has no issues.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk