Character Concept

Started by Lasca, Mon 17/03/2014 21:48:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Lasca

Hi guys!
I'm currently working on some concept art for a new game, and could use some feed back on my main character.
Here she is:

I would very much appreciate assistance with the three following things:

1. Who is she?
    Well, I know who she is, but who do you think this character is just by looking at the image? Is she a jedi-knight? Or does she belong to the dark side? You tell me! (And oh yeah, the things in her hand could use a liiiittle more work. Kinda forgot about those)

2. Who do you want her to be?
    That is, what would you change? Are you thinking "Her hair looks like a frickin' helmet! She'd look much better with a mohawk!"? Then please let me know.

3. How did I do?
    technically, did I screw something up? Is her head too small (is it? I'm not sure...)? Hands should have more/less fingers? I didn't know, honestly, so please enlighten me!

Other then this, just tell me whatever you want. This is actually my first nonpixel-all-tablet drawing, so I could use any feedback.

Cheers!
/Lasca

-edit-
And yeah, it's the same girl as the avatar, but I was half a year less experienced and she's half a year older.

Khris

Regarding just the anatomy, both arms are too short, especially her left one. If you let your arms hang down, the elbow is at the level of the belly button, and the wrist is at the groin.
Also, the width of the arm doesn't really change near the elbow, only towards the wrist (her white top underneath the shirt is supposed to be skin tight, right?)

The knees are a bit low; as with all limbs, the golden ratio is a good rule of thumb.

The shoes are really big. This might be a stylistic choice, but they are firmly in clown territory ;)

Lasca

Thanks Khris.
Regarding the left arm, it's supposed to be pointing out away from the head, if that's understandable, but I can see that it isn't clear from the drawing. I'll see what I can do. Thanks again!

Khris

I thought you were going for foreshortening, but the angles don't work; we're pretty much looking exactly from the side at her left arm.

Here's a quick and dirty paintover:
=>

danbuddle

First impressions are that she is:
In her late teens (no older than 20) and somewhat an outcast. Into alternative culture and friends with fringe groups (goth/emo/whatever you want to call it.) As a result she probably likes indy or heavy rock music. But being a girl it's still got to be melodic. Maybe Smashing Pumpkins. Being of that age and ilk she is probably at the stage in her life where she knows it all and is starting to 'enlighten' herself in a literary sense. Thus she is probably a tad over-sarcastic and over-thoughtful, I think she'd be a Nietzsche fan, just discovering the basics of existential philosophy and it is likely to make a her a tad nihilistic and dramatic when times get tough. Anyway, as I write this I can definitely feel myself pigeonholing her as a disinterested and slightly disillusioned late-teen with plenty of smarts and attitude to boot.

IMHO that is.
I really have nothing to say...

dactylopus

I'd actually say maybe in the early to mid 20's.  And I think those are drumsticks, indicating that maybe she plays drums, so I'll guess she's also in a rock band.  She seems a bit of a tomboy, maybe she has mostly male friends or just exists in a largely male dominated crowd (where most of the females are fans and groupies).  She also looks a bit stressed, but I couldn't begin to guess what is stressing her out.  Just a few thoughts and observations.  The character seems like a cool person.

I'd agree with the artistic statements made by Khris above.  The paintover looks good, except maybe that sleeve on her right arm looks a bit wide for the shirt.

Lasca

Thanks dactylopus and danbuddle! Really help full observations.

QuoteI think she'd be a Nietzsche fan, just discovering the basics of existential philosophy and it is likely to make a her a tad nihilistic
This is definitly being added to her personality. Thanks!

Khris:
Your paintover really makes sense. Both arms are much better this way, and moving up her knees absolutly feels right. And the feet... maybe they were just a *bit* too big ;)
I'm not so sure however about moving up the waist of the pants, I kind of like them  hanging low. And I think I'll keep the shirt long. I'll do a rework asap and we'll see how I manage. And oh! Why did you change her face? Wondering just so i'll know what was wrong with it before.

Khris

To me it looked off; I think yours looks like you cut out the face from a frontal view and pasted it into an angled one where the head is slightly bowed to boot. I rotated it to fit the skull and moved out the nose to make it protrude.
It's still off though, given that the ear and hair suggest it should be more of 1/2 view.

Lasca

Alright, had another try:

Gee, those arms just won't look right. But I guess they look better anyway.

Khris: At first, I wasn't really sure I agreed with you on the face thing. So I cut out the face and put on a frontal view face, and yeah, you were right. Thanks!

dactylopus

Looking again, it seems the thumb on her right hand might be misplaced.  It looks a lot better now, though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk