[SOLVED] Exception 0xC0000005 at pointer -7

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Tue 18/03/2014 18:50:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

I've got this at program startup.
I tried to put a breakpoint in function game_start even before anything else, but it still occurs.
I don't know why it happens. Could it be a missing resource? If yes, of which type?

An exception 0xC0000005 occurred in ACWIN.EXE at EIP = 0x004852BB ; program pointer is -7, ACI version 3.3.0.1156, gtags (0,1)

Monsieur OUXX

I posted too fast.
Same solution as last time :
1) In AGS' menu, Build-->Rebuild all files
2) Close AGS (save project). Re-open AGS.
3) Compile. New compiling errors get caught.

Crimson Wizard

Well, crashes are no good, they mean engine code is unsafe. It's better to find out what causes them.

PP = -7 is very early program initialization; one of the interest points is sprite cache initialization. I wonder could that be related to corrupted sprite file? Just a hypothesis.

Monsieur OUXX

"crashes are no good, they mean engine code is unsafe. It's better to find out what causes them"

Yes and no.
The issue here is not really "unsafe engine code". It's the Editor's fault.
The issue is that when you delete a bunch of resources from your AGS project, the Editor doesn't update everything properly until next restart and all-files rebuild.

If you try to run your game immediately after your deletions, AGS gets confused and fails to tell you about the missing resources at compiling time. It tells you that compiling went fine. Therefore it crashes at runtime when the resources are actually found to be missing.
So as I said, if you delete a lot of things from your game project, you need to save, rebuild all, and then close and restart the AGS Editor. Only then are all the caches up-to-date. And AGS will tell you about the compiling errors that it let through before.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk