MAGS April: "Shakespeare" (Winner Announced)

Started by Atelier, Tue 01/04/2014 13:01:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Shakespeare'

This month's guidelines were set by HanaIndiana:

This month's MAGS theme celebrates the 450th birthday of England's national poet & playwright, William Shakespeare.
The game should reference his work in some way (big or small), or even star the author himself.
How you reference his work is up to you. It can be dialog, characters, story, ect...

Ending 30th April

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Baron

OoooooO!  Nice theme! ;-D
      I'm sorely tempted.  But I'm busy.  But still tempted....  Maybe someone wants to go habsies on this one?  Remember, "we know what we are, but we know not what we may be."  Or something like that ...my Shakespeare's a little rusty.  Bring the lube. ;)

Radiant

If by habsies you mean team up, then I may be interested :)

Myshkin

Nice theme! I think I had a bit of a fragment of an idea last night... whether I can suffer the slings and arrows of starting and finishing it in 2 weeks I'm not sure yet, but I'll have a go, and try and make something complete, even if it only has a play time of 2 minutes :)

To MAGS or not to MAGS, hm...

Radiant

I've been called many things.
But this city calls me...

With script by William Shakespeare, graphics by Baron von Baron, and music by Handsfree. Coming soon...!

Atelier

Oo, very nice.

Four days left - is anybody else working on anything? Did you start anything in the end Emont?

Radiant

Radiant

Oceanspirit Danish

And done. Many thanks to Baron for the awesome graphics, Handsfree for the epic soundtrack, and good ol' William for most of the dialogue in this game.

If Shakespeare wrote adventure games, this is what they would look like. The latest Oceanspirit Dennis adventure features ghosts, swordfights, Ray in numerous fancy hats, innovative battle system, kings, ghosts, poison, and a tragic plot where lots of people die!!

Baron

Congratulations on getting this out on time, Radiant!  Hopefully someone will come through with a bit of competition for us.  :)

Retro Wolf

One candidate? There's a Monkey Island reference in there somewhere!
Congratulations on releasing the game Radiant and Baron!

Radiant

There's a Monkey Island reference in everything ;)

Myshkin

Looks nice! I'll check this out.
Unfortunately I ran out of time and didn't even get to start work on anything this time :-[

Don't worry, you're not missing out on much: the game was to be called "The Stupendous Adventures Of Yorick", and it would open on a screen in which you were a skull in a pit that couldn't interact with the world in any way, because you're a skull. Then after a minute, the credits roll.

Retro Wolf

@Emont: You could have made that in 5 minutes! (laugh)

Tabata

BIIIIG „YAY!“
for Guildencheese!

Guildencheese Fan Club

"Squeak!"  (nod)

... and also congrats for the release!  :grin:

Atelier

Thank you Radiant! An entry that a default win doesn't do justice.

HanaIndiana

Baron

Ah, the two greatest words in the English language: default!  The Bard himself would be impressed.... ;)

Radiant

Quote from: Tabata on Thu 01/05/2014 17:47:32

Guildencheese Fan Club

Such a hard character to write dialogue for :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk