Diner

Started by jwalt, Wed 09/04/2014 00:34:04

Previous topic - Next topic

jwalt

This particular "project" seems to be holding my interest, an unusual thing; I tend to move in ten different directions at once. May be why I'm not getting all that much done. So, anyway:

The intent here is a motel restaurant from the last half of the 1950s and in a rural US area. I want to have two conversations going on here: A guy at a table talking to a gal on a stool, and a couple talking in one of the booths.  I've done some modeling, and now have some specific questions.

I intially didn't think I'd need labels on the Ketchup bottles, but the more I look at it, the more I think I need them. Opinion?

The tables and booths front windows. I can probably do the windows by the booths, but I'm curious about how to handle the windows by the table? Currently, I think I'd just put in a partial wall, and let it go at that, just enough to suggest that there is something there, without blocking the views.

Any opinions about the likelyhood of a Jukebox here, keeping in mind the time frame (late 50s) and location (rural Nebraska)? I'm thinking more along the lines of the small control units at the booth tables, rather than a big Wurlitzer in the corner.

As always, feel free to rip up my constructions. You folks always give good feedback.

Edit: Added the jukebox. Does a few things.

[imgzoom]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o756/jwalt10705/wurlitzer1_zps89bc1daf.gif[/imgzoom]

Edit2: Continue to add things. Also played with the lights, a little.

Mandle

Looks nice!

One thing I did notice however is that the prices on the menu board are a bit high for the 1950s...

$1 in 1950s money is the equivalent of about $10 in 2014 currency. This means that some of the stuff of your menu board costs the equivalent of around $50 in today's money! (laugh)

jwalt

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 13/04/2014 01:57:04
Looks nice!

One thing I did notice however is that the prices on the menu board are a bit high for the 1950s...

$1 in 1950s money is the equivalent of about $10 in 2014 currency. This means that some of the stuff of your menu board costs the equivalent of around $50 in today's money! (laugh)

Good eyesight, you have. I'm surprised you can see much of anything. I'm probably not as far off as you may think, all the prices list as ".$.xx." I need to find a font with the cent sign.  ;-)  I'll try to upload a view of the menu board, but it'll take a tick or two. I am concerned about the prices I listed. I was alive back then, but I didn't have to pay for anything. Appreciate the comment, and the 1/10 ratio on the currency, which is useful information! The intended time frame is somewhere between 1955 and 1960, or there abouts.

Edit: A jpeg shot of the Menu Board:

Mandle

Quote from: jwalt on Sun 13/04/2014 02:15:33
Quote from: Mandle on Sun 13/04/2014 01:57:04
Looks nice!

Good eyesight, you have. I'm surprised you can see much of anything. I'm probably not as far off as you may think, all the prices list as ".$.xx." I need to find a font with the cent sign.  ;-)  I'll try to upload a view of the menu board, but it'll take a tick or two. I am concerned about the prices I listed. I was alive back then, but I didn't have to pay for anything. Appreciate the comment, and the 1/10 ratio on the currency, which is useful information! The intended time frame is somewhere between 1955 and 1960, or there abouts.

Edit: A jpeg shot of the Menu Board:

Ahhhh...HAHAHA sorry for that!!!

The $ signs looked like numbers in the original image to me...I saw threes, fours, fives, and even sixes...

The whole "Mars has canals" effect I'm thinking (laugh)

jwalt

I added a porch and some more stuff. One couple, mentioned in the initial post will take their conversation outside to the Pepsi machine, while the other couple will stay inside. I messed with the exterior wall between the porch and restaurant, and it might do what I need to do. It is, however, confusing, since there would be windows and walls between the two areas, along with a door beside the Pepsi machine. Not sure what to do, here.

I just did a screen capture in Anim8or, since it gives a better idea of the space. The green box marks off the area the camera would render at current resolution. The figure in the scene is a DAZ Studio figure I'm using in an effort to keep to scale.

Cassiebsg

You could do a window top to bottom, or a "half" one, with clear glass from about 60-70 cm high to top and panel or frosted glass in the bottom part (or a one glass with clear+frosted part, as there's the possibility to add an adherent film to the bottom part). With a minimal frame around and then do sliding doors. ;)

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

jwalt

Thanks for the suggestions, Cassiebsg. I tried a couple of things, but decided it is probably best just to move the camera outside for the porch shots. I think I can get an angle from the porch into the restaurant interior that will do what I want to do. Here's a spinshot inside my model:

Foliage is from the old PlantStudio program, and renders nicer than it looks here. It's also got a whole lot of points, but Anim8or seems to be handling them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk