About length in games

Started by Janos Biro, Fri 11/04/2014 07:06:53

Previous topic - Next topic

dactylopus

Quote from: janosbiro on Mon 14/04/2014 23:32:55
That's why I criticize the idea that games serve get a certain effect: be it relaxation or whatever. I don't think you are alone in this, I hear that all the time: "Games only exist to help us relax and escape from the problems and frustrations of life. They are a result of our need to take a break from reality, and they are made to fulfill that need". NOT AT ALL! You can choose to see games like that, but games can communicate with the full spectrum of human emotions. Just listen to yourself, talking about games like someone talks about alcohol. We only use games to fulfill that specific need because we created a society that makes us feel empty. Even the less frustrated of all persons still needs to play games
I feel that games serve all sorts of purposes.  Some games are great for unwinding and escaping, and that's a valid use for games.  If someone were to only see games in this way, I don't think that equates gaming to alcohol or drugs for that person.  There is more than a simple fundamental difference between a participatory interactive game and a substance that alters brain chemistry.  Games, even those used for escape, don't just tune us out or numb us, they engage our minds.

Also, what will help one person to relax may be a complex and frustrating puzzle to another.  So games serve different purposes to different people who hold different expectations.

Janos Biro

I totally agree with that, dactylopus. Let me clarify that I'm not against fantasy. Not even close. We need some fantasy in our lives, and it is no sin to embark on a journey to an imaginary world. Two of the greatest fantasy worlds (Middle Earth and Narnia) were created by Christians, people with high moral values. I believe games serves all sorts of purposes. What I meant is that I criticize the idea that games serve primarily to makes us forget about reality. The reason is clear: fantasy itself is not about "escaping" reality, but rather representing it in a figurative (or symbolic or metaphoric or analog) way. Fantasy helps us think about reality. I drink alcohol occasionally and I have no problem with that. But some people drink alcohol to forget their problems, and thus alcohol becomes a problem. I was comparing that specific similarity. Some people play games to forget their problems, and then games become a problem.
I'm willing to translate from English to Brazilian Portuguese.

Lasca

I don't know if really have an opinion regarding whether games in general should be shorter/longer, HOWEVER, I'd be REALLY happy to see more games with shorter length. Having to balance small children, full time studies, some extra work, a little game making, social life and Friday night romance leaves too little time for gaming (and makes lasca a dull boy). For me, episodic games, like Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us, is perfect! The episodes are released regularly but with months apart, always leaves me wanting more but with a "ending". I still haven't completed Assassins Creed 3, mostly because my sessions are so far apart I loose interest. I'd love to see more high budget games done in episodic format, and I'd pay for it! Meanwhile, I'll just stick too FTL. That's a game with perfect length and incredibly high replay value! Also, thanks everyone for a very interesting discussion. (excuse all the spelling misstakes, no time for correction!)
/Lasca

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk