Creating my own sprites

Started by Kamileon, Mon 14/04/2014 02:28:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamileon

Hey guys, I've started using AGS recently and completed the tutorial but I'm having trouble figuring out what programs to use for creating sprites. I tried creating a sprite in paint similar in style to Roger from the AGS demo, but background transparency seems to be an issue. Currently using the 16 bit-colour option. If you could help that would be great :-D
It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Dualnames

1) Yasuo is a broken champ

2) The best formats to import sprites into AGS are anything but jpg. Jpg has artifacts and will make them damn artifacts appear in-game. I suggest png, as it also stores transparency values.

Generally can you provide more info on the sprites you imported and the room background image?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Kamileon

Haha yeah, Yasuo is definitely broken.

Since I wasn't sure how to create a really good background or sprite I used paint. Since I wanted to make my character look similar in shape to 'Roger' from the demo, I tried editing that image in paint by changing the colour of his clothes for testing purposes. However, when I imported the sprite back into the game, he had a rectangle around him. This might have something to do with transparency but I'm not sure how to address the issue.

Also, can AGS handle really detailed sprites (like hand-drawn characters) in the game or is it only possible to do ones as seen in classic adventure games like Monkey Island?

Kamileon

If necessary I can try upload the images.

Ghost

When you import a sprite, you can set the way AGS detects for transparency. No transparency will import the full rectangle, and otherwise you can choose one of the sprite corners. The colour of the pixel in that corner is the transparent colour. Just make sure the transparent colour is not used anywhere else in your sprite- an easy way to get this going is to create your sprite and fill the "empty space" with magic pink (RGB 255, 0, 255), which is rarely used anywhere else.

When you create a "pixel art" image (pen tool, no soft edges) this will work almost all of the time, so I don't see what's going wrong for you- an upload would maybe help.

As for your other question, yes of course! AGS can use all sorts of detailled characters, even hand-drawn/scanned/rendered ones- it's just that most people choose low-res,"simple" art because it is a) easier to create and b) so very charmingly retro ;-D

Kamileon

Umm doesn't seemed to have uploaded...would I be able to PM you the pics?

Monsieur OUXX

I would recommend not to go 16 bits, but instead 32 bits.
16 bits is legacy of times when 3D acceleration didn't exist : it allows half-baked hi-color -- it's supposedly faster (when non-accelerated) but has fewer shades and stuff. Save yourself some hassle and go for 32-bits, which is pretty much standard for everything nowadays.

Kamileon

siliconangel

the best way in my option to make sprite work is to draw what you want in a limited pixel canvas. exp ( 65x 65 pixels) when you like what you made, dye the outside of the sprite a gaudy color like bright pink. this will highlight rouge pixels and artifacts if there are any, color them the same bright pink, then import the picture into AGS and select the pink as the transparent.
works just fine for me. (although I'm new to making sprites)

if you wanted to hand draw sprites you will have to scan the picture and clean it up using a software like gimp, mostly by completely going around the image and background with one solid color.

also my favorite free art software is Gimp. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk