Survey - game in early-development

Started by Kamileon, Mon 14/04/2014 11:34:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamileon

Thank you to Snarky and everyone who has responded, your comments have helped me a lot. I'm gonna make the game I want, as that way I will be more motivated to do it and will enjoy the experience. :)
It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Slasher

Hi,

I always make a game I want to make and I try to make each game different.

They may not hit the number 1 spot but it's comes from within.

If some people don't like it you just have to not worry about them but by all means listen to what they may say.

An idea pops into your head. You dream a plot which leads to sub plots.

You have an idea of a puzzle in which you need to complete in order to progress, this is where imagination come in.... if you can think it then it can probably be done.

Constructing the perfect game is impossible but you could please a lot of folks with a game that appeals in all areas ;)

Just dream, concoct a story or stories, bring forth ideas and plots, construct puzzles and stuff and away you go.. The first rung of the ladder has been reached.

Too many procrastinate and think that their game idea(s) will fail... maybe it will, maybe it won't...

I do note that many many unskilled newbies have a habit or trying to run a marathon without first learning to walk.

Just let your imagination run wild (laugh).

In the end you can only do what you can do, but give it your best.......

dactylopus

Completed the survey, and threw in some additional thoughts.

1.   What would you prefer in terms of art style?
a)   Retro (e.g. Monkey Island) (I think there can be a bit of a happy medium.  I'd stay away from HD, but I do like high quality backgrounds and sprites with more than 16 colors.  Retro is a nice aesthetic aspiration, though.)

2.   Do you enjoy adventure games that have:
b)   More serious tone with subtle comedy (I perfer comic relief to complete comedies.)

3.   Do you like your puzzles:
a)   Challenging yet rewarding (Challenging, but not so difficult that I want to consult a walkthrough.  Puzzles should also be logical and make sense in the story.)
d)   Tonnes of roaming around (What I like about roaming around is exploration, not just back and forth travel.)

4.   In terms of plot, do you enjoy playing adventure games that:
a)   Have a strong plot that gives you something to think about even after you leave the game (The plot should drive all of the action of the game, but doesn't really need to be very deep or philosophical.)

5.   Do you like lots of interactivity and detail in each scene? (Yes/No)
Yes.  I prefer interactivity in general, but not every screen needs a lot of it to be interesting.)

6.      What is your favourite setting, or the one you would like to see most:
a)      Space (Science fiction can be a great genre for adventure games.)
c)      Exploring the countryside (medieval with some magic?) (I love fantasy, and could easily put up with more than just a little magic.  Maybe try something a little different from the typical Tolkien trope fantasy, though.)

7.   What is your favourite part of an adventure game? (please specify)
I enjoy the exploration aspect of gaming, and enjoy discovering all of the details of a large map.
I also enjoy the satisfaction of figuring out a particularly difficult puzzle or sequence of events.

I'm glad that you've decided to pursue your own goal, though, and to make the game you most want to make yourself.  That should be the aspiration of any game designer.  There are many different types of players, and almost any game will find an audience.  Best of luck to you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk