Midi error, game gets no sound

Started by Radiant, Mon 14/04/2014 22:38:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

One user reports that with Heroine's Quest he gets a 'Problem: Failed to init MIDI music driver' on loading the game, regardless of the sound settings. This turns off sound in the game entirely (or at least in the beginning), and there's really only one other option for the MIDI device anyway, the Win32 Music Mapper, which doesn't help. Dxdiag comes up with no problems, everything's running as it should.

This despite the fact that the game uses MP3/OGG music, not MIDI. Does anyone know what this is about and how to fix it please?

m0ds

Normal routine would be to select "Disable MIDI music" (the middle option).

Can't quite remember the cause, but something along the lines of simply no (default, built in) midi driver/renderer installed on that person's machine. Similar to when you used to install Windows 95 and you couldn't use sound recorder/media player right away because there was "no driver installed".

Radiant

Oddly enough, disabling MIDI music in the winsetup also turns off all music.

m0ds

Oddness. I see, I just tried it to confirm and yes that happens when I do it with HQ, and the same thing with the Cat Lady. However, when I do it with Samaritan Paradox, there's no issue - it can be set to Disabled and the music still plays. Both TCL and TSP have the music tracks as OGG files under the Music audio menu. I can't figure it out... :-\

Radiant

Perhaps it depends on the AGS version used?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk