Kate and Shelly Stick Together

Started by Gurok, Tue 15/04/2014 11:55:54

Previous topic - Next topic

AnasAbdin

THIS my friends is AGSing at its finest :-D really love the art and story 8-)

KodiakBehr

Stupot

This looks great, Gurok. Not sure How missed the thread before. Looking forward to seeing more of this :-)

Snarky

Quote from: Gurok on Sat 22/11/2014 11:38:32
The direction of the story has changed a bit. I spent a long time wrestling with how to end the story. I have finally, finally planned out the last puzzle in the game and I believe I have a satisfying conclusion to the whole game. Unfortunately, there's not really much horror happening anymore. It's become more of a mystery/thriller and I don't think there'll be much blood. I hope nobody minds. :(

Sounds great to me! I was always more excited about the mystery aspect of it (along with the school tale/friendship drama), so I'm glad to hear that will be more in the foreground.

The new portraits look even better than the old ones, though Shelly looks slightly cross-eyed.

Good luck with continued development, and hope you can keep up your enthusiasm for that long!

Edit: Oh, and I don't think I mentioned before, I think it's a really good title for a game like this. Very Daisy Pulls It Off!

Lasca

aikex222

wow this looks fantastic, hope to see more o the project and get to the final version
so we can put our hands in it.

continue and improve the great job done until now  :-D

Creamy

Really nice!
Will the two characters be playable anytime (à  la day of the tentacle) or in a specific order (à  la Broken Sword)?

I can't wait to see other characters populate this gorgeous university

nihilyst

With these portraits and the background art, I can't not think that this might be a version of "The Colonel's Bequest" where Lillian decides she didn't want to go to the bayous, but hang out with Laura instead.
Spoiler
[close]

Great work. I will wait for this :)

Gurok

Quote from: Fitz on Sat 22/11/2014 13:28:57
Yikes! But that's game development for ya -- a zillion of things you hoped would get done faster, and another zillion of issues you've never even thought of randomly popping up. Suffice it to say I'm still working on my unfinished MAGS August project (laugh)

Aaaanyway... looks so awesome I might even forgive the lack of gore ;)

I must admit, it sucks when all of those little issues stop you from checking off areas of your game as complete. Still, any progress is good progress. Gotta keep that positive attitude!

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Sat 22/11/2014 13:38:24
THIS my friends is AGSing at its finest :-D really love the art and story 8-)

You'll hear more about the story before it's done. I've been deliberately vague and awkward about it because well, there's that feeling in the back of your mind that if you say too much, people just won't bother with the game. I think everyone developing an AGS game probably thinks the same way.

Quote from: KodiakBehr on Sat 22/11/2014 13:45:05
Those portraits are fantastic.

I hope I can deliver a game to match them!

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sat 22/11/2014 15:43:47
This looks great, Gurok. Not sure How missed the thread before. Looking forward to seeing more of this :-)

That's alright! Thanks for the encouragement!

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 22/11/2014 16:32:28
Sounds great to me! I was always more excited about the mystery aspect of it (along with the school tale/friendship drama), so I'm glad to hear that will be more in the foreground.

The new portraits look even better than the old ones, though Shelly looks slightly cross-eyed.

Good luck with continued development, and hope you can keep up your enthusiasm for that long!

Edit: Oh, and I don't think I mentioned before, I think it's a really good title for a game like this. Very Daisy Pulls It Off!

I agree that Shelly looks cross-eyed. There was another cross-eyed character we fixed. I spoke to the artist and he kind of got away with this one because she's looking upward, so it's not as obvious as the other one. I may or may not fix it depending on whether I can live with it.

Also, yeah, it's a reference to those cheesy, old timey adventure stories. It's only a placeholder title though! I have to think of something less ridiculous for the final game.

Quote from: Lasca on Sat 22/11/2014 23:49:30
The new portraits looks awesome!

Thanks!

Quote from: aikex222 on Sun 23/11/2014 10:40:03
wow this looks fantastic, hope to see more o the project and get to the final version

I hope so too! I will be sharing more artwork, I'm just cautious and trying to ration it out. There's a lot more done than I've shown in the screenshots here. Once again, I have an irrational fear of spoiling the whole game if I share too much. We'll see.

Quote from: Creamy on Sun 23/11/2014 11:27:41
Really nice!
Will the two characters be playable anytime (à  la day of the tentacle) or in a specific order (à  la Broken Sword)?

I can't wait to see other characters populate this gorgeous university

To begin with, they'll both be playable. At a certain point in the game, there's a pretty dramatic event where they both go their separate ways. From that point on, the game will decide which one you are playing at any given time.

There are about 12 principal cast members. I plan to have muted grey silhouettes for other university students in the background. The university grounds should end up being a lot more populated than they are now.

Quote from: nihilyst on Sun 23/11/2014 11:39:47
With these portraits and the background art, I can't not think that this might be a version of "The Colonel's Bequest" where Lillian decides she didn't want to go to the bayous, but hang out with Laura instead.

Hmmm... unfortunately, the story takes place in a different location and time period from The Colonel's Bequest. No direct links, sorry. However, portraits from The Dagger of Amon Ra were used as references to establish a style for the game's portraits. In particular, the directly front-on perspective, the backing board and the shapely neckline that flows down past its boundaries were all things I requested to try to convey a Sierra feel. I hope that's enough of a connection for you. :D
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

aikex222

Quote from: aikex222 on Sun 23/11/2014 10:40:03

I hope so too! I will be sharing more artwork, I'm just cautious and trying to ration it out. There's a lot more done than I've shown in the screenshots here. Once again, I have an irrational fear of spoiling the whole game if I share too much. We'll see.

well, i guess you're right if u just put images of every single new thing, we won't have nothing new while playing xD

Voedino

Please make the Russian language, in Russia this game will be a great success

theo

Awesome palette. I really like that you dare use all those happy fluffy colors. Me likey.

Gurok

MERRY CHRISTMAS

It's that time of the year where I get all sentimental :'(. I just wanted to quickly say thank you to everyone in the community for your support and friendship throughout 2014. I wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy 2015. I'd especially like to thank the following people for putting up with me:
Crimson Wizard: For your patience with my requests and thanks as always for leading the charge with AGS
Babar, JimReed, Haloa, Hedge, BSP and Adeel: For your company on IRC and the great fun we've had over the year
CalinLeafshade: For your constant encouragement with engine development
AprilSkies, CassieBSG and everyone from Devs-Anon: For being the best support group I could have wished for this year
Slasher: For your excellent games that inspired me to get more done this year
AnasAbdin: For sharing what you've learnt with me and just generally being a pretty friendly person

I've been busy putting together a two-puzzle demo to show my nieces (all eight of them) this Christmas. They'll all be in one place at the Christmas get-together, so it'll be the perfect time to let them loose on the game to get their impressions and see what sort of bugs they can find. It's also a bit less embarrassing than showing it to complete strangers.

The art style for player sprites has changed a bit and annoyingly, a lot of backgrounds will have props that need to be redrawn because the girls are slightly shorter than they were before. There's a lot of churn right now, but I hope to get back to new backgrounds early next year and chip away at that total progress percentage a bit more.

That's all I have to report for now.

P.S. Theo, Armageddon and Inventive Mind, thanks for the high praise! Especially Theo, your SkyGoblin AGS fork is kind of responsible for getting me into AGS hacking a few years ago. :D

Gurok

I've been a bit scared to post here. It's been a long time but we've been steadily making progress on the game. 21 out of 34 of the rooms are painted. The portraits are still being redone. We're now redoing the sprites too. I thought I'd show a few screenshots of how things are looking. You can see the new sprite for Shelly in the first pic. Kate's sprite isn't quite as far along.

It does feel like there's a lot of churn, but I think like the portraits, the new sprites are going to be a marked improvement over the old ones. We're probably going to do a final pass over the UI before everything's done too.

If you were to break the game into three acts, the first one is done-ish. Nothing's ever done! Oh my goodness, that's something I'm discovering. But anyway, you can play through and complete the first act, so that's something.

We have 21 rooms done, but so many others in progress. I'm posting some background WIPs because they look so cool. They're also from later in the game, so there are some vague hints about what happens (too vague to spoil anything though).

Isn't art cool??!

AnasAbdin

Wow! great work. I love seeing the WIP work. Hope to see the finalized version soon too :)

Quote from: Gurok on Sun 24/05/2015 07:31:22Isn't art cool??!

Very 8-)

Lasca

This game looks absolutely awesome. AWESOME!!!

Cassiebsg

Looking great! Love the WIPs!  :-D
Thanks for sharing and keeping us updated. And keep up the good work!  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SilverSpook

Super awesome look!  The fashion is spot on.  Reminds me of Mr. T's instructional video on 'styling'.  Shelly has 'Jeanine, cool as a peppermint ice cream' vibe with the hot pink ensemble, and Kate's hat is very 'Athena'.

Looking forward to this!

CatPunter

Hey Everyone!

I'm CatPunter, the main artist on this game project. Gurok forced me to sign up so here I am :P

I wanted to thank you all for your kind words, criticism and encouragement. It means a lot to me, especially since I won't see the finished product (aka the game) until everything is put together. I'm glad to invest so much of my time and life in this project and hearing people getting excited for it helps me paint a little longer every time I pick up the digital brush. So, thank you all from the bottom of my heart. If you have any questions or want to chat about stuff just let me know, I'll squeeze you in my schedule.

Here's some previews from other backgrounds I'm currently working on.

Until next time!
Art Director and Lead Artist for "Kate and Shelly Stick Together"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk