Pixel Art - Can't get my head around it

Started by JoelMayer, Sat 19/04/2014 10:54:42

Previous topic - Next topic

JoelMayer

Hey Guys

I'm working on this character who's the protagonist of my next game. I want to go for a 640 x 480 resolution, since it gives me the amount of detail that i want to go for in the sprites.

I'm okay at drawing but reading all the pixel art tutorials i could find online it really is an artform with great many rules, which i probably am forgetting about or break or anything...

Anyways it would be great if some of the more experienced spriters amongst you could take a look at my character and maybe give me some advice about what to consider, before i start animating her.

It's for a horror game by the way :)

Thanks a ton! Love all your work!

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/8EeLGnK.jpg?1?5586[/imgzoom]

Anian

First of all, save your stuff as png or bmp, because jpg creates artifacts because it aproximates pixells, if you look at this image up close, you'll see a lot of pixells of differenet shades. If you have them, use the original files to save in a different format from jpg.

Second thing, try to decide on the usage of outlines.

Third thing - she looks like she's leaning against the wall, look around on the forum to see poses characters take when standing straight up. It's usually god for her left foot to be under the head and her right foot to be a bit behind, that way the character looks stable on it's feet. Also, while I got what the hair style was supposed to be, might be good to have some more on it on the other side.

Something like this perhaps:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/lujMPtx.png[/imgzoom]
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Eggie

That's a super cute character! I think the main problems with this particular drawing is that her pose in unfocused, It's not clear what she's meant to be doing and it kind of looks like you didn't know before you started drawing.
Definitely do a pass of her in a generic standing pose, then you'll be able to tidy up her proportions more easily and you'll have a good template for when you want to draw her in fancier positions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk