Kingdom of Ehcilc

Started by Hobo, Sat 19/04/2014 11:58:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobo

Kingdom of Ehcilc will be a classic point-and-click adventure game revolving around fantasy and adventure game cliches.
It's currently planned to be about an hour long and will hopefully be released as freeware in 2022.

Current team:

• Hobo - game design, graphics, writing, scripting
  • Atavismus - scripting, additional puzzles and writing

Features:

• An overly complicated 4-verb GUI to scare away modern low-attention span gamers
  • Choose a hero and experience reasonable differences in the way you play the game
  • Eye-popping trophy room for all the scrooge-like achievement hoarders
  • Multicolored non-HD cutscene(s) that might even be animated
  • Challenging mini-games and intense action sequences and maybe even some puzzles too
  • No multiplayer or floppy disk support. Sorry everyone! :(

Updates and progress:
         I'll try to post something every week or two or three and some stuff might also be announced in tulevik.EU twitter.

Update 1 (23.04.2014) - Current state of things and the beginning of our journey

Update 2 (03.05.2014) - Story and setting

Update 3 (15.05.2014) â€" Small pixels, big picture

Update 4 (29.05.2014) - Take a Look or Use the Talk?

Update 5 (19.06.2014) - Captain's Log, Stardate 5839.12.3

Update 6 (27.07.2014) - Colors... those wonderful, beautiful colors

Update 7 (19.09.2014) - My conversations with dialogues

Update 8 (08.10.2014) - Keep it moving!

Update 9 (10.01.2015) - Puzzled?

Update 10 (24.01.2015) - It's not the size that matters...

Update 11 (24.03.2015) - Quite a character

Update 12 (11.04.2015) - More pixels! All new and shiny!

Update 13 (01.08.2015) - Behind the scenes

Update 14 (11.02.2016) - Tales of paths

Update 15 (23.07.2017) - One man's trash is another man's treasure

Update 16 (22.08.2017) â€" The surprisingly uneventful migration of the game called Ehcilc

Update 17 (08.10.2017) - Options on the menu   

Gribbler

Hey, this looks really good. Beautiful art. Good luck with the production!

Gurok

Very nice graphics. The title screen evokes feelings of a classic fantasy RPG. Looking forward to playing it twice to see the differences between characters!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

CaptainD

I really like the look of this one already. 8-)

miguel

The Captain knows his shit. Great stuff Hobo!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

dactylopus

This game looks promising.  Nice work!

Ghost

ThreeOhFour

Stupot

Nice look. best of luck ;)

Mandle

Quote from: Ghost on Sun 20/04/2014 00:58:56
Quote from: Hobo on Sat 19/04/2014 11:58:46
Kingdom of Ehcilc

!ereht did uoy tahw ees I
(laugh)

Hahaha nice catch! I also tried the backwards reading thing when I saw the title but failed at it :-[

shaun9991

Look's nice! Looking forward to it
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

AprilSkies

Hey man, Amazing artwork!!!
It's so AMIGA-fashioned!! (especially the last screenshot)! I can't wait to sink my teeth into it!

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Hobo

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words everyone! I'll post the first introductory update in few days, which will cover the current state of things and reveal a bit more about the overall style and story of the game.

Quote from: AprilSkies on Sun 20/04/2014 17:22:09
It's so AMIGA-fashioned!! (especially the last screenshot)!
Good to hear that, old amiga/dos games are certainly a big source of inspiraton for this one.

selmiak

This looks very interesting, keep it up!

Hobo

Update 1 (23.04.2014) - Current state of things and the beginning of our journey

I've never quite understood how some people define their progress in exact percentages. Have they written complete design documents and thoroughly planned everything out or are they just throwing around random numbers? Well... I must say that I haven't really done much planning at all, but I do have a clear vision, a strong starting point and a vague idea about the ending, I'll just have to wait and see how the rest of it fills up.

Right now, the tech demo is more or less in working condition and most of the buttons do a thing when you click on them. We're currently polishing the GUI and doing some other functionality related scripting. Also, we've got some backgrounds, several character sprites, few items and couple of puzzle ideas.

All this unplanned and chaotic development means that I can't really share any specific and easily comprehensible information about the actual progress of the game, but I'll try to keep you guys informed in my own way.

Let us all close our eyes (not while reading this) and imagine that completing the development of this game is actually a long and dangerous journey to the top of Mount Modnar (the highest mountain in all of Ehcilc). If that were the case, our little team of adventurers would still be in the great plains of Nerrab, in the village of Ystnaf, haggling over food and equipment prices with Leofrick the shopkeeper.

To be honest, Ystnaf is not a bad place to start a journey from. We can easily rest here for couple of more weeks, gather our strength and replenish our supplies, before taking the first bold step towards the distant and mysterious peak of Modnar. Everything looks more than promising and the sleep is sweet under the blanket of our dream.

Since this post turned out a bit longer than I expected, I'll write about the story and setting in the next update.
Thank you for reading and please don't be shy to post comments, argue or ask questions.

m0ds

It does look nice, good job!

Hobo

Update 2 (03.05.2014) - Story and setting

I've been studying various old maps and ancient manuscripts during this past week in order to plot the best possible route for our journey and I think it's finally starting to take shape. There are some winding side paths and few dangerous crossings that I'm not that sure of, but in overall it's looking good. Still, I have this uneasy feeling in the back of my head that I'm going to have to keep checking and double-checking these plans over and over again, because, as all things in Ehcilc, the slippery slopes of Mount Modnar are not always what they seem.

Although Kingdom of Ehcilc revolves around cliches, it's not intended to be an all-out parody or a game stuffed with every little cliche known to mankind. As Ghost (+10 perception, X-ray vision unlocked) already pointed out, Ehcilc is cliche spelled backwards and that's kind of the direction I would like it to go, meaning that there will be different tropes and cliches in the game, but many of them are going to be turned upside down, tainted by weird sense of humour and offered multiple and/or alternative solutions.

The game itself will be set in a very typical fantasy setting, filled with your usual races and creatures, but we'll try to sneak in some less popular and underused elements and concepts of the genre. As for the plot... well, there's an idea (head) and a strong backbone, but rest of it is just a pile of bones that need to be picked up and fleshed out:

Just like the setting, the premise of the story is also simple and familiar to all who have had at least some experience in the realm of adventuring: Your home gets destroyed/ransacked, you're left behind hurt and dying and venture forth to seek a glorious revenge, but not really. The player will actually have a large say in the motivation and behaviour of the main character and if you don't want to follow the path of revenge, you can go pick flowers instead or whatever... or can you?

I hope all this sheds at least some light on our plans and I'll be sure to share more plot related details in the future, but until then, thank you for reading and please don't be shy to post comments, argue or ask questions.

Monsieur OUXX

In before Armageddon posts : Watch out for the mixed resolutions (low-res drawings, hi-res font).

Hobo

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 07/05/2014 14:06:47
In before Armageddon posts : Watch out for the mixed resolutions (low-res drawings, hi-res font).

If you mean the image from the 2nd update then that's not an actual in-game shot, just a mockup to illustrate the progress of the story. I was just lazy and used a default paintshop font there, no such shenanigans will appear in the game.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Hobo on Wed 07/05/2014 16:33:02
If you mean the image from the 2nd update then that's not an actual in-game shot, just a mockup
Ok! I like the overall style, by the way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk