A little demo

Started by MisterBork, Mon 21/04/2014 07:13:47

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterBork

I'm making a adventure game, and I need some feedback about how it looks and how it plays for now.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/8l7ix7n10uc9um5/SHADOWINTHEDARK.zip
The game is not even close to being complete, so don't mind the simplicity

Cassiebsg

Hey.

I just downloaded it, but I can't get the in game mouse to activate, meaning I can't even start playing it...
I'm trying to play it in windowed mode, if that's relevant.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

MisterBork

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 21/04/2014 09:11:43
Hey.

I just downloaded it, but I can't get the in game mouse to activate, meaning I can't even start playing it...
I'm trying to play it in windowed mode, if that's relevant.
This is a AGS engine problem, i don't know if it will help, but in my computer, the games work if I set to window and place in the border of the screen, with a small part of the window outside of the screen

Cassiebsg

Okay. it worked once I opened it again...
I like the art.

I don't like the interface though.
I'm guessing you'll be changing that, but it's rather annoying to keep going up to change the cursor mode, and have no visual aid to see in which mode the cursor is in.
No way to see where the hotspots are either, that can lead to missing clues/items.

Also I think you should draw the doors, or create a marking on the floor to indicate that one is going to change rooms. I walked to the right expecting the room to scroll and see what was on the other end of the bar, and all of a sudden I'm in the toilet...

Why are you using () in the text? I think it distracts the player (or at least me).
If it's meant as a "narrator" text, fine, but I still think it's not needed.

Clicking on the inventory does nothing. I know he doesn't have anything, but shouldn't the inventory window open? Otherwise, there's really no point in having such a button.

Resolution wise, the game is a bit too big for me, since I'm only using about half the screen (my son is using the other half to watch cartoons), so I can only see half the rooms... and there's no way to choose another resolution in the winsetup... (maybe that's AGS engine problem too?)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

MisterBork

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 21/04/2014 09:48:54
Okay. it worked once I opened it again...
I like the art.

I don't like the interface though.
I'm guessing you'll be changing that, but it's rather annoying to keep going up to change the cursor mode, and have no visual aid to see in which mode the cursor is in.
No way to see where the hotspots are either, that can lead to missing clues/items.

Also I think you should draw the doors, or create a marking on the floor to indicate that one is going to change rooms. I walked to the right expecting the room to scroll and see what was on the other end of the bar, and all of a sudden I'm in the toilet...

Why are you using () in the text? I think it distracts the player (or at least me).
If it's meant as a "narrator" text, fine, but I still think it's not needed.

Clicking on the inventory does nothing. I know he doesn't have anything, but shouldn't the inventory window open? Otherwise, there's really no point in having such a button.

Resolution wise, the game is a bit too big for me, since I'm only using about half the screen (my son is using the other half to watch cartoons), so I can only see half the rooms... and there's no way to choose another resolution in the winsetup... (maybe that's AGS engine problem too?)
I didn't put the inventory window yet, so it's kind of useless for now. The () I'm using to show that the character is thinking, and not speaking, but it's just temporary.
But thank you very much for the feedback, I will try to fix the resolution problem and the interface issues

monkey424

I love the art style.

Main character moves as if he's shit his pants!

Music is a tad heavy and chaotic for the initial scene. Suggest using the music for a darker, livelier scene, like a death metal concert, or when the plot progresses and some heavy shit is going down.

Suggest making 'walk' the default action.. and you need to indicate which action is selected during play (i.e. with a visual cue, as Cassie said in the above post).

Secret Fawful

The character walk needs to be less stiff, or at least have him straighter/not leaning backward when walking. I love everything else. I agree that the cursor icon should change when in a new mode. Are you using the right mouse button for anything? Maybe make it to where you can change cursor modes with that as well?

I love the art, animation, and music. It all looks great.

MisterBork

Here's a updated version of the demo, with some problems solved:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n9b572u4cf4j5kp/ASHADOW2.zip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk