I'm looking for a Good Online Drawing Tutorial Series

Started by frenzykitty, Wed 23/04/2014 12:06:57

Previous topic - Next topic

frenzykitty

I have lots of inspiration, and practice my coding as much as I can. The one primary thing that is really holding me back is my lack of any drawing skill whatsoever :~(

Can anyone recommend a good online/book course that would help a complete noob like me get some structured exercises which may help?

Thanks

Ghost

That depends a bit on what you want to learn? Just some basic perspective? Anatomy? Cartoon style? I have a great deal of bookmarks that I'll happily share, just give me a short heads-up on what you're looking for (nod)

Two books that I can recommend without fail:
Understanding Comics and Making Comics, both by Scott McCloud. The first is about sequential art in general and the tools employed to create a story out of images, the second is a more hands-on approach on image composition, story flow, characterization et al. They are very good- and they are essays written as comics, so you get a lot out of them too (nod)

Eric

I recommend Andrew Loomis' Fun With a Pencil, which is available as a PDF (but is now BACK in print!). Following that, the other Loomis books are great too.

frenzykitty

Wow - thanks for the amazing feedback.

Yeah- I'm just looking for enough foundation tutorial work to get me to a level where I can passably draw characters and backgrounds for games, basically. I think cartoon style is fine. Pixel art style (ala GK1) would also be ideal :)

Thanks in advance for the help :)

cat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk