"DIGMID patch set not found"

Started by Radiant, Sun 11/05/2014 10:56:31

Previous topic - Next topic

zabox

I do not know if the same error will occur in a ubuntu. for me it is antergos.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: zabox on Fri 24/07/2015 10:41:33
I do not know if the same error will occur in a ubuntu. for me it is antergos.
Okay, I'll try that one too.

Crimson Wizard

Alright, I installed antergos and Wine, and was able to replicate this problem.
I will be investigating this problem from this point.

Radiant

I think the most straightforward fix is still to add a boolean to the game properties pane in AGS Editor for "Use MIDI", defaulting to true. When set to false, AGS should simply not bother trying to initialize MIDI, and only use the MP3/OGG codes. I'm suggesting this because I estimate that 95% of AGS games use MP3/OGG music these days, so supporting MIDI really doesn't need to be a priority.

Crimson Wizard

Radiant, I am trying to explain again, that the MIDI switch is not a solution for these problems.

I was already saying that disabling MIDI does not help this case:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=50452.msg636517120#msg636517120
I am sorry if I was not clear enough.

The problem is that it cannot initialize digital sounds alone.
Even if MIDI is not initialized, it still does not work.

Another problem is that there are games with MIDI, and the setting you suggest won't help them.

Another thing is that even if MIDI has failed, engine can reinitialize itself without one (fallback scenario) - this is what I added to 3.3.4.
I also fixed legacy PlayMusic function not playing MP3/OGG if MIDI is off (http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?issue=678.0). Ironically, this bug would still be a problem if I had implemented the MIDI switch in project.
(Unfortunately I noticed it too late, so it will be included in 3.3.5.)

Therefore the suggested setting is not even important.
I mean - it may be useful, and eventually we will add it. But it solves nothing in respect to this problem.

Radiant

Sorry, I missed that earlier post.

cat

I currently have this issue with Windows 10 8-0

When I start my game, I get the DIGMID message at the beginning. I do need MIDI and disabling it in winsetup works, but then of course there is no audio. It just happened now, a few days ago it was not a problem, testing with the same game version. Not sure what has changed in the meantime. Maybe some windows update? I have no idea.

I'm using AGS 3.4.1.10

morganw

There was a recent Windows update which uninstalled the built in media player, perhaps that also removed the software MIDI device. If you have KB4046355 installed you should probably check that Media Player is still ticked in the list of optional Windows features (Control Panel / Programs and Features). Otherwise it could be that the default MIDI device number has somehow become changed, but the interface to configure that has been removed from Windows (you would have to find another application which can show you the MIDI out setting).

cat

So, checked it and still have a media player, but no MIDI device. I cannot play midi files, no matter what programm (media player, MIDI editing tool, AGS). MIDI is completely broken on my PC, so not an AGS issue.

Cassiebsg

Aren't you just happy to have win10? (wrong)
Not sure how to fix it though... format c:\ and install win7? (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

morganw

It looks like at least some MIDI settings used to be in the user part of the registry; it might be worth checking that logging in with a new user account still has the same problem.

cat

Logged in with another account, but the problem persists :(

morganw

It looks like if you install Audacity, you should be able to see which MIDI devices you have available as playback devices in the preferences. I'm not sure if it sets the device for anything other than itself, but at least you would now if you still have a device to playback with.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk