Tim Schafer revisiting Day of the Tentacle

Started by Gribbler, Mon 12/05/2014 09:43:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Gribbler

For those of you who didn't back Broken Age on Kickstarter (like me) DoubleFine released a 40-minute video where Schafer plays Day of the Tentacle. Very interesting watch so I thought I'd share.

Beware of serious dose of nostalgia! :)

http://youtu.be/qumYnE2wYhA

frenzykitty

Looking forward to seeing this when I get home!

DoorKnobHandle

Holy crap, he is SERIOUSLY rusty haha. Nice find!

frenzykitty

Yup. This was nice, from a mutual nostalgia point of view.

Retro Wolf

Tim strikes me as someone who would be fun to work with; I like his personality.

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: Oldschool_Wolf on Tue 13/05/2014 13:45:46
Tim strikes me as someone who would be fun to work with; I like his personality.

Honestly, and I'm pretty sure this is controversial to some, I don't think I agree. He's sorta funny (although not particularly in my opinion, he seems to force it a bit) and, most importantly, he seems to be really hard to interact with (ironically). He doesn't even pay attention to what the interviewer/other person says half the time. I know this is not exactly a normal situation and I'm not going to judge him based on that bit of gameplay alone but I can't say that this video made me think: "What a cool boss to have", quite the opposite!

Secret Fawful

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Tue 13/05/2014 17:24:10
Honestly, and I'm pretty sure this is controversial to some, I don't think I agree. He's sorta funny (although not particularly in my opinion, he seems to force it a bit) and, most importantly, he seems to be really hard to interact with (ironically). He doesn't even pay attention to what the interviewer/other person says half the time. I know this is not exactly a normal situation and I'm not going to judge him based on that bit of gameplay alone but I can't say that this video made me think: "What a cool boss to have", quite the opposite!

His employees/team members love him. I've met him, though, and he's a smartass. A very, very nice, open smartass, but a smartass. Kind of reminds me of Bill Murray in a way.

Retro Wolf

I've worked with a lot of interesting and weird personalities over the years, some people wonder how I get on with them; maybe they appeal to my inner psychologist. (laugh)

DoorKnobHandle

Haha fair enough! As I said, it's dumb to try and actually judge someone from a video like this - I just felt the complete opposite as Oldschool_Wolf about him from that video, that's why I posted! If his team members love him, then that's the best testament in the world.

frenzykitty

This is true, although I don't think I would want to work for him. My jealously over that triangle box would consume my life

selmiak

but he makes little to no jokes in the video, rather tells interesting things (mustache trees!) doesn't force any jokes and there is no real interview with questions asked going on. Did you watch a different video or do you want to stir up controversy?

DoorKnobHandle

I did like the video and some of the things he explained (the first tentacle shot behind the tree, his sister voicing Edna etc.), all I said was that I personally didn't get a great-guy vibe from his personality/character in that video. And I only posted that because Oldschool_Wolf said that he thought he looked like a great person to work with in that video and I heavily disagreed. Secret Fawful put it best when he said that he kinda is a smartass. It's obvious that he's talented and smart, I just don't like his... style. It's hard to explain, very subjective.

Retro Wolf

I've been aware of Tim for a while, I didn't just base my opinion on this one video.
He doesn't look at the guy interviewing him half the time, because he's playing a game at the same time! (laugh)

Gribbler

At the very early stage of Broken Age production they released a video of Schafer and Ron Gilbert discussing the game and the impression I got from it was that Gilbert seemed like a conceited person. I was like, this is a guy who made my favourite game of all time? I may be wrong of course, after all, it was just a 15-minute video but he didn't seem like a likeable person, more like a baffoon really.

DoorKnobHandle

So I'm not the only person, that's good to know... :)

Babar

How dare you besmirch his good name, DKH? HOW DARE YOU?! You have a lot to answer for!

(Saw the video a while back)
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Secret Fawful

I definitely don't think Ron is conceited, but at any rate, I wouldn't really care if he was. I think buffoon is quite a bit harsh. I'm not sure where anyone would get that.

Gribbler

Quote from: Secret FawfulI definitely don't think Ron is conceited, but at any rate, I wouldn't really care if he was. I think buffoon is quite a bit harsh. I'm not sure where anyone would get that.
I'm not saying he IS all that, I'm just saying that was my impression when I saw some video of him on the internet. It was only my subjective opinion.

Fitz

I for one enjoyed the video immensely. He has tons of fun facts about one of my favorite games of all time, so I'll be sure to tune in for subsequent installments of the Let's Play. I'm also pleased at how much I still remember from the game, I knew what you're supposed to do in a given location way sooner than he did -- and I only played it twice (1995 and then 2002).

Gribbler

Quote from: Fitzand I only played it twice (1995 and then 2002).
Twice as in two dozens, right? RIGHT? :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk