Character concepts

Started by Fred7162, Wed 21/05/2014 14:59:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred7162

I'm back to dabbling in game making and have some character concepts to share with the fine people here. Right now these are pencil drawings(one I went over with an ink pen thingie though) and just ideas, I haven't even really decided on the style I want to use, whether it's something more realistic or a manga/anime style.

Anyways here's what I have done up until now:

This one is the main antagonist(a vampire)

These are just same random practice portraits for face shapes and stuff.

These 2 are of the main protagonist (2 versions, an older more realistic one and a younger one in a manga/anime style)

These 2 are just some random drawings I did to practice the manga/anime style.

So next up is finally choosing a style and then to also learn pixel art to make the character sprites and stuff.

miguel

I think you should edit the size of your pictures to at least fit the browser screen.
I don't want to sound rude but it's just not practical.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Fred7162

Quote from: miguel on Thu 22/05/2014 00:51:36
I think you should edit the size of your pictures to at least fit the browser screen.
I don't want to sound rude but it's just not practical.
Sorry. Didn't even notice it when I posted it. Should be fixed now.

Ghost

You have a nice clean style there, but right now the characters look very bland and generic. There's some hints at what they are meant to represent but they don't stand out. If you were to use these as a base for game characters, I'd personally prefer the style showcased in the first two sketches (vampire and big nose bald guy) but that's because I don't particularly like the base manga style.

Cino

One thing I can point out for sure is that the female manga style characters eye placement seems off to me. Especially the bottom one.

Ghost

Quote from: Cino on Tue 27/05/2014 14:15:30
One thing I can point out for sure is that the female manga style characters eye placement seems off to me. Especially the bottom one.

The bottom eye? (laugh)

Cino

The eye on the bottom image (laugh)

Myinah

They eye placement is definitely off in the last picture. It's almost far back enough to sit where her ear should be. It needs to be a bit highers and closer to the nose, under the fringe a bit.

Fred7162

Quote from: Ghost on Sun 25/05/2014 04:08:56
You have a nice clean style there, but right now the characters look very bland and generic. There's some hints at what they are meant to represent but they don't stand out. If you were to use these as a base for game characters, I'd personally prefer the style showcased in the first two sketches (vampire and big nose bald guy) but that's because I don't particularly like the base manga style.

Yeah I agree with you on that I've been trying to get some more variety to the faces, but I'm not really having a lot of luck with that for some reason. Also about the style I think I'm going to use the semi-realistic one since it fits the mood of the game better.

Quote from: Myinah on Wed 28/05/2014 14:41:43
They eye placement is definitely off in the last picture. It's almost far back enough to sit where her ear should be. It needs to be a bit highers and closer to the nose, under the fringe a bit.
Quote from: Cino on Tue 27/05/2014 14:15:30

When I started looking at it like that I noticed it aswell. Something to note for the future.

Cassiebsg

Quote from: fred7162 on Wed 28/05/2014 18:24:10
When I started looking at it like that I noticed it aswell. Something to note for the future.

On a drawing tutorial I was watching on youtube last month, the guy gave a tip that sounds a good one (haven't tried it yet). Flip your picture, and all of a sudden you're watching it like if it was a brand new picture (if you're drawing on paper, lift it up against a light and turn the paper around... or use a mirror). Also step away and look at it from a distance.
I mean, that eye was also the first thing I noticed, it just jump out at me, and I had to focus on the eye to "see" your drawing...
I do like manga style, but they do tend to be "identical" and lack "personality"...

And I do like your semi-realistic drawings, so looking forward to see what you do with it. :)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Fred7162

Here are some new characters:

The dude's face looks bad I know.

Vampire ideas

Just some random guys.

Snarky

Tip: people have different eye shapes. (Also different noses, mouths, ears etc., but you have at least some variety in how you draw those.) You've learned one way to draw eyes that looks OK, and that's a good start. Now you need to practice variety and expression. Otherwise everyone's going to have the stare of a creepy blank-eyed robot.

Fred7162

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 29/05/2014 23:06:55
Tip: people have different eye shapes. (Also different noses, mouths, ears etc., but you have at least some variety in how you draw those.) You've learned one way to draw eyes that looks OK, and that's a good start. Now you need to practice variety and expression. Otherwise everyone's going to have the stare of a creepy blank-eyed robot.
I know, I'm trying different things, but most don't turn out that well. Anyways I drew some different eyes. Also I went over one of the portraits pixel by pixel. Now I'm planning on dabbling with pixel art for a while.

Mandle

Quote from: fred7162 on Fri 30/05/2014 15:09:54
I know, I'm trying different things, but most don't turn out that well. Anyways I drew some different eyes. Also I went over one of the portraits pixel by pixel. Now I'm planning on dabbling with pixel art for a while.

The eye shape is also affected by how the brow is shaped:

Some characters might have a jutting brow over the eyes that conceal the eyes in a threatening way for example? Especially the vampires?

LIKE HERE FOR EXAMPLE

I guess what I mean is try concealing some of the shape of the eye with the threatening brow-line so it's not quite so just staring out with no emotion...

AprilSkies

I'd make the pupil smaller.
Also to make it more vivid, I'd add a small light dot in the iris (a bright light dot).
I did this very quickly. I colored the iris of gray to give you an idea:

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Fred7162

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 31/05/2014 17:33:28
Quote from: fred7162 on Fri 30/05/2014 15:09:54

The eye shape is also affected by how the brow is shaped:

Some characters might have a jutting brow over the eyes that conceal the eyes in a threatening way for example? Especially the vampires?

LIKE HERE FOR EXAMPLE

I guess what I mean is try concealing some of the shape of the eye with the threatening brow-line so it's not quite so just staring out with no emotion...
Quote from: AprilSkies on Sun 01/06/2014 20:36:43
I'd make the pupil smaller.
Also to make it more vivid, I'd add a small light dot in the iris (a bright light dot).
I did this very quickly. I colored the iris of gray to give you an idea:

Will be noted, for when I start working on the final portraits.
Anyways tried doing a character sprite, it looks pretty bad to be honest, but this is the best I could manage, the head looks the worst out of the whole thing though (too big and really out of shape) so ignore the head.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk