LANCELOT'S HANGOVER : Kickstarter ends tomorrow!

Started by declerfayt, Tue 27/05/2014 22:08:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Kasander

Great, I was waiting for news about Lancelot's Hangover since you've announced it.

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 06/08/2014 14:14:31
Reminds me a lot of the animations in Monty Python and The Holy Grail already!

Having re-watched MP&tHG only yesterday after a few years break I second what Mandle said. Gilliam's animations made me instantly thinking of Lancelot's Hangover :) As I said before, the visual style of your game is spot on and I can only applaud the decision. Well, I've downloaded the beta and will surely try it over the weekend.

EDIT: By the way, I'm not the most percipient person around but being fresh after MP&tHG I've just noticed the title of this thread :D It's The Title Who Says THE WORD

declerfayt

Thanks AprilSkies, selmiak and Kasander for your comments! ;-D

This first beta was mostly made to introduce the game's humour. The gameplay itself, with the funny puzzles/interactions with objects/events, will be presented in the second beta I'm working on right now. It's planned to be out by the end of the year (probably October).

Terry Gilliam's animations in Monty Python's Flying Circus is indeed a huuuuuuuuuuuuge influence for Lancelot's Hangover animations. It's funny to watch and quick to do when you work solo on a project.

About the headbanger speaking animations, I understand it can distract while reading the dialogs. My objective for the moment is finishing the second beta and its gameplay, but I'll try to fix those speaking animations for the final release :)

Once again, thanks a lot for your feedbacks! ;)
Lancelot's Hangover : A whole life to find the Holy Grail. One alcohol night to lose it.

Play free beta // Video trailer // Website

declerfayt

Lancelot's Hangover : A whole life to find the Holy Grail. One alcohol night to lose it.

Kasander

Hey declerfayt,

as I said, I did play it over the weekend. I've just sent you PM with some feedback. I hope it helps. It would take too much space here, besides I think it belongs more to Critics' Lounge than to the game thread.

Well, I'm waiting for the next Beta then! Hopefully this beauty of a game will deliver us a couple of puzzles next time :)

declerfayt

Thanks Kasander ;-D Very interesting thoughts indeed! I replied it by PM.

Bavolis

I love the visual style of this game! It's kind of a medieval South Park. The Monty Python link does make sense, but I find it's got a style of its own that feels like TV animation from that time period, if they'd had animation. Or TVs.

My personal opinion - I'd back off on all the in-jokes about adventure games (refs to Lucasarts games, etc). You've got something really unique here and you don't need them. In fact, they could end up causing you legal problems in the long run if you're mentioning them by name. I'd also find an editor/proofreader to make sure the more sensitive subjects (like gay jokes) are coming through as funny rather than offensive in English. There's a fine line.

Eager to see a more playable version!

declerfayt

Thanks for the very nice post Bavolis - and sorry for my very late reply :)

Indeed, the in-jokes about classic adventure games kill the player's immersion. A few jokes could be fine, but I agree there were too much of them in the first beta. The forthcoming version will be lighter with those kind of jokes :)

The whole storyboard of Lancelot's Hangover is finally finished!

Everthing is on the walls: the puzzles, the story, the cutscenes, the characters. All I need to do now is finishing all the drawings, wire the whole thing into AGS, make a bit of code - and the game is done! :)

As a bonus, here's some brand new drawings from the game!

QuoteClick to enlarge the pics :)

Kasander

I see that instead of putting down some more or less abstract percentage stats, you're measuring your work progress by the number of emptied bottles :-D
I'm guessing the release date is near, as the table is almost full ;)

Jokes aside, I'm glad LH is coming along nicely! Great artworks IMO, simple and very fitting.
That's a fine brush line that you have. I'm curious, what kind of software do you use, if you don't mind answering, is it Manga Studio?

Mandle

Quote from: Kasander on Thu 09/10/2014 19:53:40
I see that instead of putting down some more or less abstract percentage stats, you're measuring your work progress by the number of emptied bottles :-D
I'm guessing the release date is near, as the table is almost full ;)

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Classic...

Also, YES the thread title does say The Word!!! (laugh) NI!!!

I guess it's supposed to say "one alcohol-filled night"...

Shouldn't that be: "one alcohol-filled knight"...?

On a more serious note:

Quote from: Bavolis on Sun 31/08/2014 01:19:59
My personal opinion - I'd back off on all the in-jokes about adventure games (refs to Lucasarts games, etc). You've got something really unique here and you don't need them. In fact, they could end up causing you legal problems in the long run if you're mentioning them by name. I'd also find an editor/proofreader to make sure the more sensitive subjects (like gay jokes) are coming through as funny rather than offensive in English. There's a fine line.

I must admit that these were the exact reasons I couldn't finish the demo. I'm sure, after what AprilSkies said, that the humour is spot-on in the original Italian, but humour is also the easiest thing to lose in translation to another language. Like Bavolis said: A direct word-for-word translation of jokes usually loses all the subtilty that makes the joke funny in the first place. It takes a very talented translator/editor to preserve the wit of humour in their work.

Good luck with the project though: I really enjoyed the other aspects of the demo!

declerfayt

I love your joke about emptied bottles on my table :D Thanks God, this table is almost full! :D

I'm actualy drawing everything with Adobe Illustrator :)

Mandle: I agree with you about the translation problem. Actualy, for the first beta, I've written all dialogs in French, and then translate them into English - which was not the best process. Thanks to the storyboard technique, I'm now more focus on the visual narration and I rewrote the whole scenario directly in English - with less dialogs, shorter sentences and more action. The humor is still there, but it gives more rythm to the game and the story.

Giraffadon

Love the Illuminated manuscript style.
Did i spot a holy grail cocktail in your pictures? (laugh)

Good luck.

declerfayt

declerfayt

AprilSkies

www.apemarina.altervista.org

declerfayt

Giraffadon

AnasAbdin

Ok guys I think there's a big misunderstanding here. The game is not greenlit yet. If you're interested in voting please vote here !!  8-)

Best of luck declerfayt!

declerfayt

Yep AnasAbdin said, Lancelot's campaign is still on. Sorry for the confusion (with "Greenlight! Yes!" I meant "Yes, my Greenlight campaign is on! At least!")

Thanks for your votes and supports guys! It means so much to mee :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk