Technobabylon [RELEASED]

Started by Technocrat, Sun 01/06/2014 15:19:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Technocrat

A jobless agoraphobe, addicted to the man-made worlds of a distant descendant of the internet, has become targeted for assassination by forces beyond her understanding. With nobody she could really call an enemy or a friend, she must face the dangers of "meatspace", and survive a conspiracy that has invisibly ruled her entire life.

An agent of the city's all-seeing secret police finds himself blackmailed with the lives of the unborn children of his long-dead wife. Pushed to the limits by his deceit and his past, how far is he willing to go to save his legacy?

Follow their lives as a string of catastrophes threatens not only themselves, but everything they think they know about the city!

Preorders now open at Wadjet Eye!

LAUNCH TRAILER

Based upon several of Technocrat Games' early projects, Technobabylon is a science-fiction mystery, inspired by the classics of speculative literature.  Both a remake of the original three parts released in 2010/2011, and a continuation of the story over eight further chapters, the art talents of Ben Chandler (ThreeOhFour) and Ivan Ulyanov (Ilyich) illustrate a world coming to terms with cyberpunk lifestyles redefining what it means to be human. Nathan Pinard, audio artist for Gemini Rue, lends his musical talent to the project for a suitably atmospheric score.

The completed project will be commercial, and we have a delightful arrangement with Dave Gilbert and Wadjet Eye!

Follow us for updates on the project, or little bits of extra background about the world of Technobabylon:
- Development Blog
- Twitter: @technocratgames

Coming: 21 May 2087 2015

frenzykitty

This makes my insides all warm and fuzzy :-D

selmiak

yay, more cyberpunk games! :-D

Hobo

Awesome! I really enjoyed the three Technobabylon episodes and this looks to be a big step forwards in overall quality. I foresee great success and lots of up-the-spine chills for this one.

Quote from: Technocrat on Sun 01/06/2014 15:19:14
what it means to be human
Also, this is my favorite part of science fiction.

Grundislav

Sslaxx

Quote from: Grundislav on Sun 01/06/2014 17:51:49
Looking great!
Looking forward to hearing how it'll sound, too! Gemini Rue had a great soundtrack.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Stupot

Sweet. What a treat! So many gorgeous games in the pipeline.

JSH

Nice to see you guys are finally making it official :) I loved the original games, can't wait to see them live up to their full potential in the remake!

Dave Gilbert

Woo! Yes, James and Ben have been working on this game fulltime since about January. It is looking VERY sweet.

AnasAbdin

Finally! I was looking forward to seeing this (laugh)

CaptainD

This looks, in a word... AMAZING.

Armageddon

Cyberpunk is back! I'll plug my gun into my head now.

This is looking really sweet and I could never beat the original games. Can't wait to play this. :-D

SeamanNaranja

Stunning visual style! :shocked:
And cyberpunk is always awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on this! :cheesy:
Developer of Hjarta, Providence and Skumring.

Technocrat

With all this outside involvement, Technobabylon is looking a whole lot better than if it was just me doing it. It took other people to make it look how I imagined it! :-D

Here's the destruction of Singapore.

CaptainD

What did Singapore do to you?!?

Azure

I'm really excited about this game! I remember you talking about it at AdventureX so it's really cool to see some new screens!
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

yamipanda

Tabata

WOW! That's awesome!

With such a team you can't fail! Eagerly waiting for this to come ;-D

Dave Gilbert

It was that
Quote from: Azure on Mon 09/06/2014 13:18:51
I'm really excited about this game! I remember you talking about it at AdventureX so it's really cool to see some new screens!

It was that impressive presentation at AdventureX that encouraged me to offer James a publishing deal. :) So the conference has definitely been a Great Thing.

Technocrat

Getting on board with Wadjet Eye was, for me, the "unrealistic best-case outcome" from showing things off at AdventureX. Maybe I'll aim for Telltale with the next one!

Technocrat

If there are two things Ben knows, it's urban decay, and blimps.

Nine sections down, two to go. There's nearly a game!  :shocked:

Stupot

Gorgeous background. I'm so excited for this game :-)

Adder

This is looking so fantastic!  Very excited!

Monsieur OUXX

WHAT THE ?!?
How did I not see that thread earlier???
Congrats Technocrat

CrashPL

Great art style and the overall atmosphere (especially the 'destruction of Singapore' and the blimp shot), I'm really looking foward to this game!

BLACKBEARD

Woah, as soon as I saw the screenshots, I was like

"BEN CHANDLER UP IN HEEERRREEE" :cheesy: oh yah (nod)

Seriously, this guy is my pixel art inspiration. When I get good at pixel art one day, I wanna be Ben Chandler good. How did you get him on board??

Sslaxx

Quote from: BLACKBEARD on Wed 09/07/2014 22:49:05

Seriously, this guy is my pixel art inspiration. When I get good at pixel art one day, I wanna be Ben Chandler good. How did you get him on board??
Because the game is being published by Wadjet Eye, and Ben is an employee.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Blackthorne

Awesome! I'll be one of the first in line to buy this one!!

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

BLACKBEARD

Quote from: Sslaxx on Thu 10/07/2014 00:01:40
Quote from: BLACKBEARD on Wed 09/07/2014 22:49:05

Because the game is being published by Wadjet Eye, and Ben is an employee.

Oh yes, he is isn't he? How much of the game do you have to have prepared for proposal to publishers you reckon? Is just a script enough?

But really, TechnoBabylon looks great. Looking forward to buying it.

Stupot

@Blackbeard - It's usually been that the games' production is well underway or even nearly finished by the time WEG picks them up to publish. In the case of TB, there have already been three TB games - this is a remake of those plus a whole lot more - so you'll probably need more than just a script. But I guess there's no harm in asking ;-D

arj0n

from the screenshots, this game looks so good!

Q: will it, once finished, also be published on steam (and/or others like GOG for ex.) or just by Dave's shop only?

Technocrat

Quote from: BLACKBEARD on Thu 10/07/2014 11:06:21

Oh yes, he is isn't he? How much of the game do you have to have prepared for proposal to publishers you reckon? Is just a script enough?

But really, TechnoBabylon looks great. Looking forward to buying it.

For the latest version, I'd cobbled up a demo of the latest version of the first episode of it (about a twelfth of the complete game), plus a document outlining my plans for the project as a whole. I think it probably varies from publisher to publisher what they want, I just had the luxury of meeting Dave in person at AdventureX, and already having his artist keen on the project!

Quote from: Arj0n on Thu 10/07/2014 12:56:49

Q: will it, once finished, also be published on steam (and/or others like GOG for ex.) or just by Dave's shop only?

I *think* Steam is where it's going, but I've no idea what's happening regarding publishy stuff. I'm focusing on getting the game finished, first!

arj0n

ThreeOhFour

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Arj0n on Thu 10/07/2014 12:56:49

Steam has already given me an App ID for it, so I think we can safely say it will be on Steam. GOG as well.

arj0n

Lasca

This is going to be absolutly great.
With the great art and the wonderful script this is bound to be absolutly awesome.
Thanks for doing this!!

Nathan Allen Pinard

Thought I'd chime in and show the first track created for Technobabylon: https://soundcloud.com/nathan-allen-pinard/wip-projectthingytrack1

CaptainD

Really nice track Nathan!  Can't wait to hear it in-game.

Technocrat

Hey! Hey! Hey! More fine work from Ben Chandler! Guess what section of the game this scene's from?

[imgzoom]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o33/Nedraed/GameStuff/11_zps32430be0.png[/imgzoom]

No, that's a silly answer, why would you even think that? It's the last section...well, second-last, but I've already made the final one. So...uh...yeah, give me a couple more weeks, and there's going to be a game playable from start to finish! Minor interruption in my productivity for getting married and stuff, but I shall endeavour not to let such trifling matters stand in the way of computer games!

selmiak

hehe, congrats... on almost having a completable technobabylon computer game of course!

ThreeOhFour

Nice work Nathan. ^_^

Technocrat

Technocrat

Who is LATHA SESAME? Find out more about our cyberspace-addicted heroine...

shaun9991

Great portraits! Art!
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

CaptainD

Is it just me, or does Dr Regis look like Jose Mourinho?

Technocrat

Ilyich is doing a fab job of the portraits, certainly!

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 20/08/2014 17:59:54
Is it just me, or does Dr Regis look like Jose Mourinho?

http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/josemourinhoepa_450x314.jpg

I can see what you mean, I shall have to get him to play the role in the movie. I think the reference information I'd given was "Western stars in the seventies like Robert Redford" and "grumpy", from which we get this!

Stupot

Great portraits. I love the detail in the eyes, especially Latha's. I could stare at them for just a bit longer than might be deemed healthy.

Blackthorne

Nice work, Ilyich!

Looking good; I'm super excited about this one!

Bt

ThreeOhFour

I finished the graphics for the last section of this today. It was a very cool project to work on - thanks to everyone for their support and encouraging words, and I hope you all enjoy it when it's out! :cheesy:

Dualnames

Please i've been waiting for soooo looongg!!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Dave Gilbert

The final game will be well worth the wait. I say this with no bias whatsoever. :-D

monkey424

It never ceases to amaze me the awesome talent you find in this community. It's fucking brilliant! ;-D

Technocrat

Who is DR MAX LAO? Central has an update for you on Technobabylon's third protagonist...

Dave Gilbert

Hi all! We're starting the audition process for the game. If you live in the New York Tri State area, feel free to jump in! The details are here.

theo

OOOOH ohhh OHH this is so awesome. :D Very, very excited to see my ol' fav technobabylon becoming something bigger and more bombastic. Saludos!

Technocrat

[delete}

For me, Technobabylon shows what you can achieve in five years if only you believe in your dream...

http://i5.minus.com/ib1aBZ0nBePfWI.png

Technocrat

Quote from: Amélie on Fri 24/10/2014 15:20:03
For me, Technobabylon shows what you can achieve in five years if only you believe in your dream...

http://i5.minus.com/ib1aBZ0nBePfWI.png

The moral of the story: hire someone else to do the art!

Dave Gilbert

Blackthorne

Awesome! This is going to be a great game.

Bt

Dave Gilbert

Today we finished recording all of the VO for the three player characters! We're using a real studio this time - one with a booth and a mixer board and everything. A far cry from my bedroom and audacity, that's for sure. I am quite proud of how it's turning out, so I thought I'd share some samples.

Arielle Siegel as Dr. Max Lao
Crystal Lonnquist as Latha Sesame

Gurok

Audacity's the best!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Technocrat

From the sound of it, everyone's been having far too much fun in the recording! :-D

Sslaxx

Quote from: Technocrat on Tue 04/11/2014 09:30:23
From the sound of it, everyone's been having far too much fun in the recording! :-D
Doing a commentary?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Dave Gilbert

Mandle

Nice crisp sound with excellent voice acting!!!

Dave Gilbert

Yeah it only took 9 years and 13 games to finally get out of my bedroom. :)

Technocrat

Technobabylon got a showing-off at AdventureX, many thanks for all those who attended. Hopefully my presentation wasn't too dull! It had virtual reality, and punk cyborgs, so beyond that I've no idea what else anyone could want.

Many thanks to Theo for the picture!

Calypso

Technobabylon is certainly one of my AGS favorites - very unique, intelligent, and atmospheric series. The new artwork is stunning and it's nice to see that Dave is helping this project reach its full potential. It deserves to get into the hands of many, many more players. I'm going to spread the word about it, for sure (and, of course, buy the game when it comes out).
Chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized.

Nathan Allen Pinard

Technocrat

More delightful work there, Nathan! :-D

Also, just in case anybody's not seen it elsewhere yet, we're looking for volunteers as extras for very small parts in Technobabylon. Fancy a speaking part in the game? Have a look at the information HERE.

Surdy

Congratulations Technocrat & Nathaniel for this amazing job. Remember me a precedent Wadjet Eye Games Primordia with his three characters and noir Gemini Rue.

I love this project Dave: I'm in love ;)

Technocrat

If you haven't seen it yet following Wadjet Eye's official announcement:

Trailer 1: Charlie Regis

CaptainD

So... much... neon...

Hobo

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 12/01/2015 15:53:29
So... much... neon...
Yeah! Awesome, right!?

Great trailer! Does that mean that you guys have also settled on an official release date?

Technocrat

Quote from: Hobo on Mon 12/01/2015 16:01:58
Great trailer! Does that mean that you guys have also settled on an official release date?

Not yet, I'm afraid. Still just floating around with "Spring"!

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 12/01/2015 15:53:29
So... much... neon...

It wouldn't be cyberpunk without neon, would it? That's, like, the definition of it.

Thegolddiger

I got a question is this a remake or a  re mastered version?
It's gold gold  gold is all I want

fischkopf

No... It's a original creation. :)

David Ostman

Well technically it's a little bit of both, isn't it? :)

ThreeOhFour

The game features remade, edited versions of the three freeware games, as well as the entire rest of the story. I'm honestly not sure what the difference is between a remake and a remaster, but we've reworked the old stuff with new graphics, puzzles, music, etc and then added the rest of the story to make it all play as a single game. :smiley:

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Thegolddiger on Thu 12/03/2015 19:06:48
I got a question is this a remake or a  re mastered version?
It's a remake, but by the same guy who made the original game (he got help from professional graphic artists this time)

Anian

I played the first game and while it looked fine and has an interesting world and story, it's great to see it getting a smoother polish.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Technocrat

Preorders now open at Wadjet Eye!

Three weeks to go...gotta keep working...

selmiak

oh noes, why is this download only? I want to put Technobabylon next to my other wadjet eye scifi boxes/cases :P

but yay, release date!

SilverSpook

The suspense if fatal!

Working!?  Just stop working!

Can we just have our cyberpunk cake already!?!?  I'm hungry!

(Pre-orders)

selmiak

will there be boxes aka physical copies some time in the future?

Dave Gilbert

Sadly, no. We stopped doing the physical versions a few games ago. They are very expensive and time consuming to make, and there was never enough of a demand for them. So we stopped doing them.

CaptainD

Check out GameBoomer's preview - seemed to like it rather a lot! :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk