Minimalistic book cover

Started by jannar85, Thu 05/06/2014 22:40:28

Previous topic - Next topic

jannar85

Hey guys, sorry about being so quiet :) Just have so many projects going on!
I've decided to release my old short story from 2004, after I picked it up last month and did some rewriting to it.
But now I'm going to publish it as an e-book, so I had to make a cover for it.

The short story is in Norwegian only, but I might translate it one day soon to English.

Anyway, any feedback on the cover would be most helpful!

Thanks.

Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

xil

I'd probably make it slightly less minimalistic (gradient and not just a blue circle) and smooth the fonts up.

Spoiler
[close]

Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

jannar85

Thanks! I did some new suggestions regarding the feedback you gave, but I decided the blue circle wasn't much needed so I ended up with a new suggestion :)

Bigger title, blue faded circle, and a different font for me.

xil

Maybe move the logo/cicle up a bit as there seems more space at the top than the bottom.

Also you need to anti-alias those fonts in my opinion.

Looks good though!
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

EliasFrost

I agree with xil, the margin for each elements need to be balanced. In xil's example, each element is 'boxed' which gives the whole composition a good feel and easy on the eye.

Spoiler
[close]

jannar85

Thanks. Is this better?

I aligned it better, still no antialiasing though :)
xil, what kind of font did you use at the bottom in your example?

xil

The font I used at the bottom is Open Sans - Condensed Light http://www.1001freefonts.com/open_sans_condensed.font

The alignment is much better in my opinion - you don't have to anti-alias the fonts if you are going for a particular look, it was only a suggestion :)

Ghost

It would be interesting to know what the story's about- right now a look at the cover creates (for me) a dark mood, with an ominous and slightly agressive "Dumbo! Dumbo!" shouted into my face... and the only Dumbo I know is that cute little elephant from the Disney movie, so there's a bit of a conflict.

I know you should never judge a book by its cover but the first thing I thought was "Now this is going to be a dark story, maybe about some kids teasing and antagonizing another kid (probably because of his big ears)." It was the first thing that popped into my mind.

__
edit: My ears are normal-sized, and I was never teased for them.

jannar85

Ghost, that's what I was going for and you are absolutely right.

It's about a man thinking back as we was getting teased of his big ears - the bullies named him "Dumbo."
But as the story progresses in the present time, the reader learns that he's finally meeting some girl that's been writing to him for a period. But the girl never shows up.

It's a story about loneliness, death, revenge, fear, hope and choice... and regrets.

Thanks again for all help!

Ghost

Quote from: jannar85 on Fri 06/06/2014 02:06:28
It's about a man thinking back as we was getting teased of his big ears - the bullies named him "Dumbo."

So... ONE COVER teleported the gist of the story into my brains? I'd call that a very powerful image, then- well done (nod)

Misj'

Personally I prefer your first cover. Sure, it's minimalistic. But it's also clean and feels right. I fear each iteration feels less professional and  actually looses character.

I made a few variations loosely based on the original cover as well as your description to Ghost.

top-left: Simple cover with the title. I added an exclamation mark both as a playfull backdrop and to to accentuate them in the title
top-right: I playfully added two ears to the exclamation mark since the ears play an important role in the story (I didn't want to make it a full smiley-face because I think you want to walk a fine line between playful and serious for this story..and a smiley-face could easily become amateurish and out of place).
bottom-left: same cover but with a slight gradient on the background.
bottom-right: made the title upper-case to accentuate the shouting. Also made the contrast a bit bigger to make the text a bit more angry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk