Aseprite 1.0 is out! (pixel art tool)

Started by abstauber, Fri 06/06/2014 12:57:25

Previous topic - Next topic

abstauber

I just found out that Aseprite has finally reached 1.0!
http://www.aseprite.org/
It's still free if you decide to compile it yourself.

Working with it is pretty fun so far - especially the pixel-perfect drawing is neat. It also features RGB-color modes and a pretty advanced rotation feature (Rotsprite).

Adeel

Good news! I love to use Aseprite for whatever little pixel art I do! Thanks for sharing. :)

Scavenger

The program's looking way awesome, much better than the last time I used it! It's animation feature might even push me to use it instead of photoshop.

Now if I could only figure out how to compile it...

Adeel

Quote from: Scavenger on Fri 06/06/2014 18:40:56
The program's looking way awesome, much better than the last time I used it! It's animation feature might even push me to use it instead of photoshop.

Now if I could only figure out how to compile it...

Same here.

abstuaber: can you please share the compiled version with both of us privately, if not in public? :)

Calin Leafshade

Not open source anymore?

That is some bullshit.

Scavenger

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Fri 06/06/2014 19:30:38
Not open source anymore?

That is some bullshit.

Oh, it's still open source, they're just selling the compiled binary for the Windows and Mac versions. They have a link to their Github on the page.

Very sneaky, considering not all pixel artists are programmers :<

Calin Leafshade

Ah yes, i see that now.

That's fair enough. There's nothing stopping someone else from hosting nightly builds. That's usually what happens when OSS devs charge for builds.

DoorKnobHandle

That's the weirdest business model ever. Not sure what they're trying to achieve with that...

I like the feature list and have tried a bunch of different asesprite versions in the past but I just can't get past their idiotic selfmade game-ish interface. No idea why they didn't go with a standard OS gui.

abstauber

Quote from: DoorKnobHandle on Fri 06/06/2014 19:55:02
That's the weirdest business model ever. Not sure what they're trying to achieve with that...
Well it seems that's another way to ask for donations ;)
Anyway I'm fine with that and hope it keeps him motivated to continue working on it.

Sslaxx

Quote from: Scavenger on Fri 06/06/2014 19:44:01
Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Fri 06/06/2014 19:30:38
Not open source anymore?

That is some bullshit.

Oh, it's still open source, they're just selling the compiled binary for the Windows and Mac versions. They have a link to their Github on the page.

Very sneaky, considering not all pixel artists are programmers :<
XChat for Windows did that for a while. Don't think they bother any more.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Babar

Quote from: Sslaxx on Sat 07/06/2014 00:50:59
XChat for Windows did that for a while. Don't think they bother any more.
No, now they charge for it outright (with a 30 day free trial).
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

TheBitPriest

Thanks for the lead!  Grabbed it and compiled it.  This is the pixel-art program I've been dreaming about!  (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk