MARCH MAGS: "A Better Mousetrap!"

Started by Dave Gilbert, Wed 26/03/2003 03:17:55

Previous topic - Next topic

william

that was a good time. may not have taken long to beat, but i enjoyed it plenty. I like your backgrounds and the fact that you don't spell a million word wrong in your game unlike some of the kids posting games. hope you make some longer games soon.

Squinky

Can't believe the only thing holding me back was that lobster thingy...Great game man, I loved the ending and the dialogs had a natural feel to them...

Dave Gilbert

Thanks William, I'm glad you like it.  I had fun making it.  But I must give credit where credit is due:  those aren't my backgrounds.  I made the game using the pre-existing sprites and backgrounds, as per the March Mags rules.  All the backgrounds in the game are from the Insta-game pack, except for the pics at the beginning and the very end, which are RON backgrounds.

Timosity

I just got round to playing the game Dave, It was a great idea and great use of RON and Insta-Game.

Clever puzzles, had me stuck for a while but eventually got through it, keep up the great work.

Just an interesting point, you had beta testers in a MAGS game.

I think that should be a point brought up in MAGS, fair enough having testers to find bugs to release a superior product but I think it should be part of MAGS to have no outside help on your games, especially when there are more than one entrant to the comp.

I think after the comp is over you can get bug fixes and rerelease, but I feel releasing as close to a bug free game without help should be up to you as part of the experience.

What do you think?

Relight

Not necessarily, but I guess it does bring up the question how much help is too much help.  After all, I asked several people to draw me a soldier PC but none had time.  But if they had, would it have made my game better, might my game have been 1st instead of 2nd place?  Maybe.  I guess in which case, it may not be fair.  I never remember though anyone saying MAGS must be made by one person.  What if two people teamed together to make a MAGS game?  It's not in the rules against it...  I thought the only rule in that regard was that the time limit is one month.

But in Dave's example, I see it's more of a tribute to Dave.  After all, he actually finished the game in time to let beta testers go thru 2 versions of it.  And the game is a great game, so you know that's a testament to Dave!  After all, a beta tester can't make a crappy game good.  Dave's game was great to start with.  The beta testers just helped make it a bit tighter.

Incidentally, there are too many rules for my taste again this month.  But it sounds interesting (just one or two I want to eliminate), so I'll look forward to play the games anyone else makes.

Squinky

I think it's okay to let more than one person work on a mags project....to me, having better qaulity games seems like a god idea...

And anyway, how would you even know if someone beta-tested?

Timosity

All valid points, from Relight and Squinky,

Just personally I like to try and get things done myself, it just makes me feel like I've done a complete job, more satisfaction. I can understand more with a longer game that is non linear.

So far I've released 2 games without beta testing and haven't had bug reports, it could be just no-one has played my games, but I thoroughly go through and try everything, usually make sure each bit works as i progress too.

but when I have a longer game, beta testing I guess will be necessary,

as for MAGS I never thought of making a team for a game but wouldn't that be a disadvantage to other competitors, I guess they could make a team too, anyway It's really about having more games to play, not about winning, the better quality makes the comp seem more attractive.

Also as not to get off topic (sorry Dave for getting off track)
This game most probably would have won regardless of any other entries, It's one of the best short games let alone MAGS games that has been released for a while.

Your games are always worth playing, look forward to your next game.

Nostradamus

Very good game, as expected with you Dave. Very interesting puzzle.

I'm stuck on something:
Spoiler
I tied the pole with the rope but I still don't understand your fishing hint. I tryed to use it everywhere but mothing happened. I tryed the cliff where the flag was, the chasm, the walsl in the forest, the skull, the tentacle, nothing works!
[close]

Squinky

Spoiler

you need a hook.....If you want the complete answe read the next hidey thingy
[close]

Spoiler

bend the nail you get off the wall behind the picture
[close]

There you go...

agsking

Great game. You make really good games! Keep up the good work, I enjoy your games a lot.

Dave Gilbert

Thanks for the comments, everyone!  I wrote it and finished it so quickly I was worried that it would seem rushed.

As for beta testing a MAGS game, I don't see the problem with it. If someone finishes early and takes advantage of the extra time to beta test, what's wrong with that?  Beta testing is part of the whole game-making process, isn't it?  There's an annual Interactive Fiction (text adventure) competition, and the rules encourage beta testing - and those folks have a whole year to write their games.

Incidentally, testers.  I just discovered a walking dead in "Mousetrap" that nobody picked up on:

Spoiler
If you cast the ice spell on the helmet of water after getting the green mud, you'll be stuck.  
[close]

MrColossal

dave:

i loved it

it was great and real fun. I laughed and the puzzles were just enough i think that they weren't too easy or too hard, though the spells kinda came down to use every spell on everything.

only question, what was it in a 640x400? aren't all the IG backgrounds 320x200?

that confused me

but the game kicked ass hard ass

eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Dave Gilbert

Hey Eric,

Glad you liked the game.  I recommended playing the game at 640 x 400 because I had to shrink Davy and Elandra down to fit on the IG backgrounds properly.  When played at the 320 x 200 resolution, they get all pixelated and funky.  At the higher resolution they look fine.

I did the "use every spell on everything" thing on purpose. The idea being that Davy's spells never work right, so you have to experiment to find out when the spells actually do.  

Bluke4x4

I'm stuck: I've got Elandra on the scooter, and Davy has the green mud but can't get the green alien's coat thing!

EDIT: Cool Game Dave Gilbert! I Finished It! I'm Happy Now! Pig's Eye Will Strike!

Simmykrantz123

Gilbert

Please don't bump up a post that is as old as 2 years minus 1 day old, for hints use the Hints & Tips forum instead.

Yvonne

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Fri 10/06/2005 01:57:59
Please don't bump up a post that is as old as 2 years minus 1 day old, for hints use the Hints & Tips forum instead.
Sorry for not taking your advice but my question is not for the Hints&Tips.
It is as simple as that: Where can I get the game? I used to have it, and I would really like to get it again. Thanks to anyone who could help.

Gilbert

Dave Gilbert

Wow.  Talk about bringing a thread up from the ashes.

The RON site rearranged its file organization last year, so the link is changed.  Get the game here:  http://ron.the-underdogs.info/downloads/games/trap.zip

Yvonne

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Fri 10/06/2005 12:08:11
Wow.Ã,  Talk about bringing a thread up from the ashes.

The RON site rearranged its file organization last year, so the link is changed.Ã,  Get the game here:Ã,  http://ron.the-underdogs.org/downloads/games/trap.zip

Thank you, David.
As to you, my friend Gilbot+the-number-you-chose-for-designating-yourself (nothing personal), I had exhausted all search options (incl. the one you took the time to point out - thanks for your time) prior to "bumping up a two year minus/plus one/two days old post".
Look, Gilbot+you-know-what - it does not matter how old a post is - it matters what interest "consumers" do express in a "merchandise" -a (pronounced EI) basic principle of market economy. Cherio!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk